Ice on the Grapevine by R.E. Donald

Ice on the Grapevine

by R.E. Donald

I got impatient with this mystery towards the end. I like the author's attention to the background, in this case, trucking, LA jail and bar life in small town British Columbia, but I did wish she would hurry up. Only at the end did I realize that one reason for the detail was to distract me from the solution, which was obvious if one thought about the solution instead of the characters and setting. ( )
  Coach_of_Alva | Dec 1, 2018 |
I enjoyed the return of the hero sleuth in a different mystery to solve but with the same integrity and once again I was kept guessing. The author has chosen characters that really seem true to life old and new. I would have liked to see his romantic side explored just a little more but otherwise equally as good as the last book. ( )
  LiteraryChanteuse | Jan 27, 2016 |
the third of R.E.Donald's Hunter Rayne mysteries I've read and I've not been disappointed yet. Well constructed plot, strong characters and plenty of twists and turns to keep you guessing right to the end. ( )
  Alan301261 | Nov 2, 2015 |
One of the things I like about writers who have retired from other professions and taken up mystery writing is how interesting it is to find out details of the writer’s former business. In collecting recommendations for stories I have read from Crime Fiction members, I’ve been wandering through my memory of great crime fiction. I remembered R. E. Donald’s SLOW CURVE ON THE COQUIHALLA as an enjoyable story with fascinating information about the trucking industry. I’ve always loved the sound of wheels spinning on the highway and you can hear them in these books.

Last week when I began book#2 in the series, ICE ON THE GRAPEVINE, I realized that I was under-appreciating just how good the storyline is. Hunter Rayne is a retired RCMP officer, now driving a truck for a Vancouver, B.C., Canada firm. He’s a complex man with good self-knowledge but has varying difficulties telling his loved ones how he feels. Not surprisingly Hunter gets landed with unexplained deaths which somehow he must resolve. A man on a mission, Hunter gets on with the job.

Another great character in the series is El, a feisty dispatcher, who seems so real she must have had a real life model for her part in the stories.

These traditional crime stories are full of interest with several surprises. They’re a welcome way to while away a few hours, accompanied by something sippable. Though I’d prefer tea, Hunter Rayne would no doubt select beer.

And naturally, I’ve just purchased book#3 in the series, SEA TO SKY. Can’t wait! ( )
  TdeV | Nov 3, 2014 |
  LiteraryChanteuse | Mar 27, 2012 |

On a warm July morning in L.A. County, a frozen corpse turns up at a highway brake check just south of the Grapevine Pass. Ex-homicide detective Hunter Rayne, who now drives an eighteen wheeler, is persuaded by his irascible dispatcher, Elspeth Watson, to help clear two fellow truck drivers who are arrested for the murder. His job is made more difficult by the fact that the suspects, a newlywed couple, won't speak up in their own defense. The circumstantial evidence is strong, and a rookie detective from the L.A. County Sheriff's Department is eager to score a win. The investigation crosses the Canada-U.S. border when the victim is identified as a second rate musician from Vancouver, and it turns out there were more than a few desperate people happy to see him dead, including the accused couple. Hunter has to use all his investigative skills to uncover the truth. Hunter's ex-wife maintains that by taking to the highway Hunter is running away from his past, but he believes that the solitude of days on the road is helping him to heal from guilt over the failure of his marriage and the suicide of his best friend. Tangled relationships and multiple suspects emerge throughout the novel, as Hunter butts heads with more than one officer of the law to solve the crime. 'Ice on the Grapevine' was selected by the judges as a finalist for the 2012 Global Ebook Award in the mystery category. ___________________________________________ What readers are saying about the Hunter Rayne highway mysteries: "Whodunit addicts will not be disappointed." "A great take to bed read for anyone who loves crime fiction in a traditional fashion." "Those were the best mysteries I've read in a long time!! As soon as I finished the first one I bought the second and felt empty when I finished it! The characters were awesome and so there that I somehow think they are in my life ... I can hardly wait for the next one!" "Great trucking detail, hardboiled characters, no-nonsense dialogue ...." "... this book caught my attention from the very first pages and it only got better. I recommend this book to anyone who has a love for a good mystery."… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,836,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible