Nocturne by Deborah Crombie

Nocturne

by Deborah Crombie (Author)

Series: Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James (short story)

For a limited time, download Nocturne, an original short story by bestselling author Deborah Crombie, that leads into her forthcoming novel, No Mark Upon Her. In No Mark Upon Her, Olympic rowing hopeful and Metropolitan Police officer DCI Rebecca Meredith goes out to train on the river in Henley on a dark afternoon in late October. When, the following morning, her ex-husband realizes she hasn’t returned, a search is instituted and a K9 search and rescue team finds Meredith’s body in the river. Scotland Yard superintendent Duncan Kincaid, returning from a family celebration of his marriage to Inspector Gemma James, is called to investigate Meredith’s death. He soon finds that both Meredith’s rowing colleagues and her ex-husband might have had good reason to want her dead. But when an attempt is made on the life of one of the search and rescue team members who found Meredith’s body, Kincaid realizes the case may be more complex and more dangerous than he believed. It is Gemma, however, who discovers that Meredith’s murder may be connected to enemies within the heart of the Met itself, and together Duncan and Gemma must endanger their careers and their lives to bring the killer to justice.… (more)

Crombie provides a short story between books for her readers. Family friend Erika ended up with a piano from a nearby bombed home after World War II. The home's occupants were not home, but were never found after the war. The piano bears an unmistakable signature which Kit, Duncan's son, recognizes belonging to an artist he researched for a school report. When they get out a volume about area artists, they find a portrait of him with a woman Erika remembers from the market back in the day. The woman was an accomplished pianist. Since neither individual was seen after the war, Kit theorizes they ran off together. He searches the Internet for evidence, resolving the mystery. While I enjoyed this short story, I will admit the evidence is rather shallow. I would prefer a little more "proof" so further evidence doesn't overturn the conclusion. ( )
1 vote thornton37814 | Jun 22, 2018 |
Cute little VERY short story. ( )
  Gingermama | Jan 24, 2016 |
This short story features two minor recurring characters from the Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James series. On a visit to the home of family friend Erika Rosenthal, Duncan's 14-year-old son, Kit, expresses an interest in Erika's piano. Erika tells Kit her story of finding the piano during World War II, and calls his attention to the unusual carving on the underside of the piano. Kit makes a connection between the pattern on the piano and something he has learned in school. Together, Kit and Erika solve a decades old mystery.

I picked this up as a freebie for my e-reader, and I've been waiting to read it until after I had read Necessary As Blood. When I finished that book last night, I wasn't quite ready to leave Duncan and Gemma's London, so I pulled up this short story. It was a little disappointing since it lacks the atmosphere and depth of character of Crombie's novels. Potential readers might have difficulty getting hold of a copy of this, since it wasn't published in print and it isn't as widely available from ebook vendors as it was when it was released to promote No Mark Upon Her. I wouldn't recommend going to extraordinary lengths to get a copy of this story since it doesn't contribute any vital information to the ongoing plot of the series. ( )
1 vote cbl_tn | Aug 24, 2014 |
It was a good short story, made me interested in reading more from this author ( )
  Fairydragonstar | Mar 28, 2013 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,766,863 books! | Top bar: Always visible