Saga Ksiezycowa. Tom 3. Cress by Marius…

Saga Ksiezycowa. Tom 3. Cress (edition 2019)

by Marius Bancila (Author)

Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they're plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and prevent her army from invading Earth. Their best hope lies with Cress, a girl trapped on a satellite since childhood who's only ever had her netscreens as company.… (more)
Member:melodyun
Title:Saga Ksiezycowa. Tom 3. Cress
Authors:Marius Bancila (Author)
Info:Papierowy ksiezyc (2019), 548 pages

Work Information

Cress by Marissa Meyer

This was a fun book and much more enjoyable than the previous one. Cress and Thorne make an interesting pair, with Cress a far more engaging heroine than Scarlet was. I was entertained by her sense of wonder about the world outside of her satelight and also by her reactions to everything she encountered. I have to say though, at times I felt like she was a little too much like Tangled's Rapunzel-- I think Marissa Meyer could have been a little more original.

I enjoyed how Thorne and Cress's story deconstructs fairytale cliches about romance, princes saving princesses, and so on. I really liked how their relationship was left open ended and unresolved at the end of the book. To be honest, I can't see them working as a couple at all, but unfortunately I'm fairly sure they are going to get together anyway later on in the series. I find it difficult to believe that Thorne would fall for Cress. He seemed in many ways much more like her caretaker than a potential boyfriend, especially in the first half of the book. Plus, it's just hard for me to picture an experienced flirt like Thorne going after the naive and childlike Cress, especially not within the one week timeline of this book. Maybe if far more time passed, and Cress matured, but it's just too soon to be believable.

In general, I find Meyer's characterizations to be pretty one-dimensional. On their own, I don't really find them holding their own when there's only one or two of them in a scene. Kai is by far one of the worst-- I find him as stupid as ever in this book, making decisions that are, if not bad, then downright useless. The story also introduces Jacin, who has so far been a passive and emotionless character, but I'm intrigued by him and am looking forward to see more of him in the next book.

I have to say, Meyer does really well playing them off each other when many of them are together in a scene. The ensemble cast really sold the story for me, as the hilarious banter and interactions basically keep your attention off the weakness of the character development. Also, I am reminded of a lot of humour-infused action/fantasy anime with great character dynamics. (I really think this whole series would make a great anime, actually-- I'd definitely watch it!)

For the most part, the plotline is pretty straightforward and incredibly juvenile, with no real surprises. Plot twists are telegraphed by Meyer's clumsy writing abilities long before they actually occur (the reveal of Cress's identity, for example, feels like it comes way too late as I guessed it early in the book). The story is more or less predictable in every way but this series has become very enjoyable as more and more characters are introduced (I just really love ensemble casts). I can definitely see why this series has so many fans though, with the variety of characters, funny dialogue, and a world so full of potential. For me, this series is light entertainment-- I can see its flaws, but I like it well enough anyway. ( )
  serru | Oct 6, 2022 |
I think I just died from fangirling and flailing so much.❤️❤️❤️ ( )
  bookishconfesh | Sep 22, 2022 |
Wonderful story. Love the characters! ( )
  DebCushman | Aug 25, 2022 |
It was horrible, HOOOOOOREEEEIBBBLLLE.

Or possibly that's just because now I need to wait another year to read Winter. WHY ARE YOU SO MEAN, MARISSA MEYER??? ( )
  tanaise | Jul 17, 2022 |
Loved it. Actually liked it better than the second book in the series as it was easier to understand what was going on. I had forgotten how this author draws me immediately into her story. I forget from book to book. Fast paced, a lot of action clear POVs from several different characters. The story line is moving right along although of course there is at least one more book. The Lunar Queen is not vanquished yet. I loved the hero. I enjoyed him in the last book but I liked how he came into his own here. He is a hero who doesn't believe he is all that good or all that heroic. But he steps up for Cress. Cress was a fun little character and seems just the sort to drive her man to better himself without any real effort on her part. She's just so sweet and good that he can't help trying to please her.

I love how the familiar fairy tale elements are here but this is in no way a retelling. So fresh and original.

Can't wait for the next one. ( )
  Luziadovalongo | Jul 14, 2022 |

Marissa Meyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deas, RichCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O., MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soler, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tuosto, FilomenaFeiwel and Friends Logo Designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When she was just a child, the witch locked her away in a tower that had neither doors or stairs.
For Jojo, Meghan, and Tamara
*high fives*
Her satellite made one full orbit around planet Earth every sixteen hours.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,357,612 books! | Top bar: Always visible