The Turkey Girl: A Zuni Cinderella Story by…

The Turkey Girl: A Zuni Cinderella Story

by Penny Pollock

In this Indian variant of a familiar story, some turkeys make a gown of feathers for the poor girl who tends them so that she can participate in a sacred dance, but they desert her when she fails to return as promised.

The Turkey Girl by Penny Pollock is the Zuni version of a Cinderella story, except the ending to this story is not so "happy." The turkey girl fails to fulfill a promise made and reaps the consequences of her actions.

I honestly appreciate the fact that this fairytale did not end happily. I am a firm believer that children need to see and understand that life is not as simple as good vs. bad and right vs. wrong. This story teaches people responsibility, the turkey girl knew that she had to make it back to the turkeys before father sun set behind the mountains, but she failed to do so and therefore she returned back to her old self. ( )
  AConverse | Mar 19, 2019 |
A poor Zuni, American Indian, girl tends to turkeys and thinks she is not good enough for the dance. Much to her surprise the the chief turkey speaks to her and offers to repay her kindness. The turkeys perform an ancient ritual and make her a beautiful gown with jewels. There one command is that she returns before the sun sets. The girl is beside herself with joy and rushes to the dance. She is the most beautiful girl there and has the best time of her life. She stays past the setting sun. Upon returning to the turkey pen she finds they have left. She broke her promise. From that day on the turkeys have lived apart from their human brothers.
This a though provoking tale to share with young readers. The illustrations are a dreamy pastel in American Southwest colors. ( )
  Thomasjfkb | Oct 12, 2018 |
The style of this book was very clear. The illustrations use colors and images that represent the mountains and way of life in Turkey. This story does a wonderful job of using the oral traditions of a Cinderella story. For example, the girl goes to the dance. My favorite aspect of this book was the illustrations. The colors, mystery, and abstractness kept me engaged and curious. I read the book two times over and it eas just as amazing. ( )
  Gabrielle21 | Oct 12, 2018 |
The Turkey Girl is an interesting spin on the classic Cinderella folktale. The story focuses on a young girl who looks after turkeys. The people in the town don't think much of the turkey girl until the night of an annual dance. I love that instead of a fairy godmother, the turkeys dress her in the finest dress and jewelry. The main idea of the story centers on keeping promises and it is interesting to see that when the turkey girl breaks her promise, her happy ending doesn't happen. I would use this book in a lesson to teach children the importance of keeping promises as well as introducing them to different stories based on Cinderella. ( )
  jwesley | Mar 3, 2015 |
I have an addiction for cinderella stories, and this is a Zuni(native american) one. It is sad, in the end, but I feel that kids will like it because it is familiar and different. I would use this to teach main idea and characterization. ( )
  Ginger_Malone | Apr 24, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,402,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible