My Brilliant Friend: Neapolitan Novels, Book…

My Brilliant Friend: Neapolitan Novels, Book One (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Elena Ferrante (Author), Ann Goldstein (Translator)

Series: Neapolitan Novels (1)

Beginning in the 1950s Elena and Lila grow up in Naples, Italy, mirroring two different aspects of their nation.
Member:vuyisile
Title:My Brilliant Friend: Neapolitan Novels, Book One
Authors:Elena Ferrante (Author)
Other authors:Ann Goldstein (Translator)
Info:Europa Editions (2012), Edition: 1st, 331 pages

Work Information

My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante (2011)

A Girl Returned by Donatella Di Pietrantonio (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both novels center around a girl living in a poor Italian community. Both share the same translator.
    The Country Girls by Edna O'Brien (susanbooks)
    susanbooks: Both are gorgeous novels about young girls' friendships and how they're complicated by class, family, desire.
    Small Ceremonies by Carol Shields (aileverte)
    aileverte: Carol Shields and Elena Ferrante have similar sensibilities, write about the lives of slightly less than average women, offer insights into the writer's craft.
    Die hellen Tage by Zsuzsa Bánk (Florian_Brennstoff)
    The Day Before Happiness by Erri De Luca (Widsith)
    Widsith: Two books about growing up in Naples in the 1950s, with illuminating differences – Ferrante writing the start of an epic series following girls from the housing estates, De Luca a short, concise look at a boy in the historical centre… both fascinating in divergent ways.… (more)
    Our Lady of the Nile by Scholastique Mukasonga (rrmmff2000)
    Das verborgene Wort: Roman by Ulla Hahn (Florian_Brennstoff)

English (234)  Italian (8)  Spanish (7)  Dutch (7)  German (5)  French (5)  Swedish (3)  Catalan (3)  Danish (2)  Piratical (1)  Norwegian (1)  Arabic (1)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (279)
It's confirmed: I'll read them all, plus Lahiri's translation of Ties, and then I'll learn Italian. ( )
  Bruyere_C | Dec 2, 2021 |
I’ve had trouble getting into the book, wearing the narrator’s shoes, trying to like the novel as much. Persevered reading it until the end just to know how it ended but there’s a slight cliff hanger, to be continued to book 2 naturally.

My full review here:

http://www.sholee.net/2021/06/mpov-my-brilliant-friend-book-1-of.html?m=1 ( )
  Sholee | Sep 9, 2021 |
Just couldn't finish. Couldn't get into it. I wanted to. I kept reading long after I had lost what little interest I had. This happened and then this happened and then this happened. These details. More details. Even more details, repeating what happened. Really wanted to love this story of female friendship, but I didn't.
  TheGalaxyGirl | Aug 30, 2021 |
The large slate of neighborhood characters was well managed. The intensity, dreaminess, changeable impressions of adolescence are evoked beautifully. I don't think I would want to live in urban post-war Italy. But I would have like to go to the beach at Ischia!

I thought for all of the book that the brilliant friend of the title was Lila, not Elena. I was surprised by that. I am quite hooked. ( )
  Je9 | Aug 10, 2021 |

Elena Ferrante - My Brilliant Friend: I clearly am not of the majority opinion - I really struggled with this book. It was … harsh and angry and hopeless. #cursorybookreviews #cursoryreviews ( )
  khage | Jul 12, 2021 |

Ferrante, Elenaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dias, Maurício SantanaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goldstein, AnnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gross, NinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Laake, Marieke vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sørsdal, KristinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
THE LORD: Therein thou’rt free, according to thy merits;

The like of thee have never moved My hate.

Of all the bold, denying Spirits,

The waggish knave least trouble doth create.

Man’s active nature, flagging, seeks too soon the level;

Unqualified repose he learns to crave;

Whence, willingly, the comrade him I gave,

Who works, excites, and must create, as Devil.--J.W. GOETHE, Faust, translation by Baynard Taylor
This morning Rino telephoned.

The story of Elena and Lila begins in a poor but vibrant neighbourhood  on the outskirts of Naples. The two girls learn to rely on each other ahead of anyone or anything else, sometimes to their own detriment, as each discovers more about who she is and suffers or delights in the throes of their intense relationship.
Volume One, of five
Her autobiography?
Childhood in Naples.
pickupsticks
Mysteries, hardships.
Fierce childhood in Naples slum
Lifelong loyalties.
pickupsticks

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,474,418 books! | Top bar: Always visible