Arrr! Pirate Flag(Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day) Thar be a hunt for treasure, Mateys!
dismiss

Stained (Stained, #1) by Ella James

Stained (Stained, #1) (edition 2011)

by Ella James

1931193,531 (3.64)2
Member:seriesousbooks
Title:Stained (Stained, #1)
Authors:Ella James
Info:Barkley's Books, Kindle Edition, 254 pages
Tags:kobo-freebies, waiting-on-kobo, pass

Stained by Ella James

Initial response: So far an enjoyable read. I am immersed in the story James is telling. Also surprised at the lack of editing. Actually wondering if an earlier draft was published by mistake?

3.5 Stars. I liked this book. The story was emotive and strongly YA through the main characters' POVs. Both resonated 'teen' with powerful feelings, dilemmas, actions and reactions that rang true. There is a caveat with this book though. The lack of editorial input and proofreading can jar some readers out of the story on a regular (every other page) basis. It did me. At the end of the book (an indie publication) James asks readers to inform her of any copy edit issues. I don't really want to have to proofread while reading for pleasure but if I was going to, her request needed to be at the front of the book, as a warning.

I would love to see this book professionally edited. I think it deserves it! ( )
  KimFalconer | Jan 29, 2017 |
I don't think there is much I can write in my review that has not already been said prior in the other reviews. This is an absolutely amazing book, and I cannot wait to read the next in this wonderful series. Once again, Ella James does not disappoint. The cliff hanger at the end however, will leave you wanting more. Wish I could give it more stars. ( )
  annmwilson09 | Aug 9, 2016 |
Julia is so grateful to be adopted that she's usually a model child. But one evening she sneaks out to hang out with friends, and when she returns home, she finds it in flames. Her adoptive parents are dead, and flying above their heads is a winged man. Julia flees and holes up in a warehouse, determined to stay off the foster care system's radar until she ages out. She encounters another winged man named Cayne, and uses her healing powers (heretofore unmentioned) to save him. Then they set off across the US, trying to find the man who killed Julia's parents and stole Cayne's memories. While they travel, Cayne and Julia begin to open up to each other.

There are numerous and long dream sequences/visions in this book, which I find both gutsy (they're pretty weird and disjointed) and annoying (because seriously, let's get to the plot!). Julia is a well-crafted, believable teenager. I had a harder time feeling for Cayne, and couldn't care less about the minor characters who pop up periodically to intone vague and portentous things. The pacing is uneven and the book ends abruptly, without much actually having happened. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
I received this book for exchange for an honest review.
I was presently surprised about the book. It became one of my favorites right off the bat. The writing is excellent, the story line and plot are awesome, and the characters are the bomb!! It is all wrapped up in a neat little package called Stained. It has suspense, romance, and action.

The story is about Julia who happens to find herself homeless after the creature attacks and kills her step-family. Julia is left to wander the streets and finds an abandoned warehouse to stay the night. She runs into Cayne and their whirlwind adventure begins!!! Julia finds out knowledge about herself and so does Cayne. Cayne is a mysterious hot man that is very secretive. I recommend that you read this awesome story. If I could I would give it a 6 or 7 star review, but alas I have to leave it at five. ( )
  Merisha_Abbott | Aug 1, 2013 |
This book had a great start. Julia is a 17 year old girl who loses her foster parents in a fire on the very first page. A fire she should have died in as well...but didn't. While watching the flames erupt from her house, she sees what she assumes is the Angel of Death hovering above.....Not wanting to be returned to the system, Julia flees and takes shelter in an abandoned warehouse.

Enter Cayne. Cayne is clearly not your average human. That may be because he is only half human, and half demon. Cayne rescues Julia from the warehouse, where she is being attacked by a strange winged demon.

And so the chase begins. Julia and Cayne against the world....or Samzaya the demon. The story is fast paced but quickly became repetitive. One big game of hide and seek. It was definitely entertaining...the characters were likeable if not slightly juvenile. One thing I will say, the book was poorly edited with may spelling and formatting errors. And the ending....BRUTAL. Talk about a cliff hanger!! I turned the page expected another chapter and NOPE! NOTHING! THE END!! UGH......

Overall, the book was good enough for me to want to continue reading the series. Based on review of the 2 following books the story only gets better.

Shawna77 | Mar 31, 2013 |

BOOK ONE IN THE BESTSELLING STAINED SERIES:Seventeen-year-old Julia is finally living the good life. She's traded a hard cot in a Memphis orphanage for her very own room in a perfect little house, on a perfect little street, with a perfect set of parents who picked her to be their daughter. But Julia is hiding a secret - and one fall night, she returns home from a friend's house to find that her secret has found her. Her 'forever home' is ashes. Her parents are dead. And, in the sky above the flames, a winged creature hunts her.The Nephilim King, Samyaza, has taken everything from Cayne. After struggling in the darkness for years to piece together his shattered life, Cayne is finally ready to confront his past and avenge the loss of everything he loved. He tracks Samyaza to a Memphis warehouse, where he winds up flat on his back, in the healing hands of a beautiful, dark-haired girl he doesn't need to know. Unbeknownst to either of them, they are already bound. Cayne's past holds the answers to Julia's future. But what will pose the greatest threat to her? The bounty placed on her head by the leaders of two Celestial realms, or giving her heart to a man who is bound, by birth, to break it? - STAINED BOOKS TWO AND THREE LISTED IN AMAZON'S TOP 100 YA EBOOKS OF 2012.-NOMINATED BEST DEBUT NOVEL AT UTOPYA CONVENTION 2012.-NAMED ONE OF THE TOP 10 YA ROMANCE BOOKS OF 2011.-WINNER OF THE FLAMINGNET TOP CHOICE AWARD.-CAYNE NAMED ONE OF THE TOP 10 BEST BOOK BOYFRIENDS OF 2011.-FEATURED ON NUMEROUS AMAZON BESTSELLER LISTS.-FIRST IN A COMPLETED SERIES OF FOUR (INCLUDING STOLEN, CHOSEN, AND EXALTED).… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,097,465 books! | Top bar: Always visible