SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

Aventurile lui Sherlock Holmes: Memoriile…

Aventurile lui Sherlock Holmes: Memoriile lui Sherlock Holmes (edition 2009)

by Arthur Conan Doyle, Luiza Ciocşirescu

Series: Sherlock Holmes (omnibus: 3-4)

From "A Scandal in Bohemia," in which Sherlock Holmes is famously outwitted by a woman, the captivating Irene Adler, to "The Five Orange Pips," in which the master detective is pitted against the Ku Klux Klan, to "The Final Problem," in which Holmes and his archenemy, Professor Moriarty, face each other in a showdown at the Reichenbach Falls, the stories that appear in The Adventures and Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes bear witness to the flowering of author Arthur Conan Doyle's genius. "The plain fact," the celebrated mystery writer Vincent Starrett asserted, "is that Sherlock Holmes is still a more commanding figure in the world than most of the warriors and statesmen in whose present existence we are invited to believe.… (more)
Member:DeeDee_Ionescu

NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
A great classic. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
I haven't read these since I was a teen.

Some of the stories still hold up very well. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
"The Yellow Face"
Thus far, this is my favorite of the Sherlock Holmes short stories. It's wonderful to see Sherlock be wrong, for a change. It humanizes him. Yet, even being wrong, he delighted in the resolution in the case, rather than being resentful - a sign of humility. The ending was wonderful. I truly enjoyed it.

"The Stockbroker's Clerk"
Meh. It just feels like a re-imaging of the Red-Headed League, to me.

"The Gloria Scott"
Not as captivating as some of his other stories, but it was still an interesting peak into the mind of Sherlock Holmes.

"The Musgrave Ritual"
Yay! I love it when I can solve the puzzle before the final reveal. At the same time, given how horrible I am at puzzles and mysteries, it makes me feel that this must have been lazily written if I could figure it out so readily.

"The Final Solution"
Ummm...What the hell is this crap? There's no real build of story, no interesting events, and then it just ends. It's far too obviously how Doyle felt about Sherlock by this story. ( )
  benuathanasia | Apr 24, 2013 |
This took me a LONG time to get through, because I picked up this book pretty infrequently to squeeze in a story between other books, but I am SO GLAD that I have finally read all of these. My first exposure to Sherlock Holmes came in my eighth grade classroom when we were assigned "The Hound of the Baskervilles." Eighth-grader me no likey, but all growned-up me really enjoyed these stories. I should have taken some reading notes on the individual stories, because there are so many and I read them over such a stretch of time that they are all a bit of a jumble. But, in short, I loved these stories and they were so much more enjoyable than my twelve-year-old self would have anticipated. ( )
  pocketmermaid | Feb 18, 2012 |

Sir Arthur Conan Doyleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barry, JonathanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carabine, KeithContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mathias, RobertCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paget, SidneyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wolfreys, JulianIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Sherlock Holmes (omnibus: 3-4)

Is contained in

Contains

Has the adaptation

To Sherlock Holmes she is always the woman.
This omnibus collection only contains short stories from works listed as item numbers 3 and 4 on the series page; The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. It does not contain any novels, nor stories from later collections.

Sherlock Holmes is a detective that is very smart ,he has a helper named Watson.Watson is a married man and he had left Sherlock because of that.When Watson left Sherlock he noticed that he was the same person he was when he left him.
the book start with one case about a

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,365,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible