Fuse (2013)

by Julianna Baggott

Series: Pure [Baggott] (2)

3582556,038 (4)27
In a post-apocalyptic world where those who dwell within the Dome are safe, and those who live outside struggle to survive, Pressia decodes secrets from the past in an effort to set the Wretches free of their fusings forever.
    The Drowned Cities by Paolo Bacigalupi (4leschats)
    4leschats: Like Pressia, the protagonist, Mahlia is scarred and missing a hand. Both are trying to survive in a dangerous, post-apocalyptic world.

science fiction. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
This is the kind of book that makes me wait for entire series to be out before I start them. My first reaction when I put the book down was: "How long until the next book?" Like the first one, it's gritty and haunting. There isn't horror per se but people who do horrible things. When you think you have seen the worst, someone commits another atrocity. It's bearable because there is nothing graphic. But if you are faint of heart, turn away. It doesn't mean there isn't hope in the story.

What I ended up liking in the book was its structure: short chapters with a change of POV with nearly every chapter. Julianna Baggott used five different POV if my count is accurate. Short chapters helps to keep track of what's happening to everyone without forgetting the others.
At the end, "the board is set" to quote a famous work. The setting is ready for the big explosion in book 3. I only hope it will be on par with the first two books. ( )
  Sept | May 21, 2019 |
A good sequel to Pure. Things always get stranger as series continue. But the plot and characters remain strong. So on to the final book Burn. ( )
  sarahjvigen | Mar 23, 2017 |
This is the second novel in the Pure trilogy. I found it enjoyable, but getting rather tedious to read - not sure I will read #3 when it comes out (but I probably will just to find out what happens in this futuristic dystopian world). ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
There was so much anticipation for me surrounding Fuse that I basically jumped for joy when I found it. How I wish that it didn't end up like this.

Every. Single. Character gets a point of view change. The most difficult thing about it keeping track of who is narrating. This is completely unnecessary. I feel a book shouldn't have more than three narrators, otherwise it gets clunky fast. Ten is more than enough.

Other than that, I feel like the premise is basic. After the first book Pure, I was so enamoured with the world and the characters, but now I am sighing and rolling my eyes. What happened?! ( )
  Tarklovishki | Oct 31, 2014 |

Belongs to Series

For my father,Bill Baggott. Thank you for helping me build worlds, especially the original world of my childhood.
Laying on a thin coat of snow, she sees gray earth met gray sky, and she knows she`s back.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,094,587 books! | Top bar: Always visible