Boundless by Cynthia Hand

Boundless

by Cynthia Hand

Review-4/19/2013

I finished Boundless yesterday and I can say that I enjoyed it but it seems like with each book, it was a bit more of a struggle for me to get through, but I still enjoyed the series none-the-less. It took me a while to read it because I got sick and wasn't in much of a position to read anything, but, as soon as I started feeling better (well enough to read), I picked it back up.

The book in and of itself is a 4.5/5...The cover, is a 4.5/5 as well. All of them just look too much alike, but they're still very pretty. This is a series I will be trying to find and buy for my bookshelf just because its so pretty. :-)

If you read the first book, and maybe even the second, this one is worth reading just to complete the series. I wouldn't be surprised if she did a series on Jeffrey...And maybe even Angela. ( )
  RamblingBookNerd | Jun 5, 2019 |
In the final book of the Unearthly trilogy, Clara Gardner attempts to juggle the normalcy of college dorm life with all the abnormal challenges of her life as an angel-blood. She's having a new vision where she's inconveniently in the dark and knows only that she is in danger. She's trying to help friend Angela through an unexpected crisis. She's trying to give Christian a chance at a real relationship not tied to their shared purpose as angel-bloods. She's trying to get over Tucker and pretty much failing. And soon she'll have to take the greatest risk of her life to rescue those she loves.

Typically, if I'm going to read a YA, it's not going to be a supernatural romance, especially one with a love triangle. Yet I adored the first two Unearthly books. The supernatural elements are structured with fascinating, detailed rules that make sense and are never broken by the author. The characters are sympathetic, and I managed to read three whole books without wanting to clobber anybody for their immaturity. But the thing that drew me back to this series more than anything else is Clara's voice. Clever but not cool, vulnerable but not fragile, compassionate but not perfect.

As for this book, specifically--much of it is as great as the first two. I loved Jeffrey; I loved Angela; I loved seeing Maggie again, even briefly; I loved Michael (always); really, I loved everybody. This author knows how to create detailed, individual characters who are all messed up in their own ways yet still trying to do their best. The interpersonal conflicts are at least as compelling as the war between angels and Black Wings. One or two elements wrapped up a bit too cleanly at the end, but on the whole, this trilogy is really well plotted. Allusions to [b:The Great Divorce|17267|The Great Divorce|C.S. Lewis|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1418791341s/17267.jpg|1215780] are compelling and wonderfully written.

However, this final book leaves me wavering between 3 and 4 stars, mostly over something I never would've expected to care about. Yes, believe it or not ... the love triangle.

Clara does end up with the person I hoped was for her, back in Book One. Theoretically, I should be pleased. But Ms. Hand uses this final book to deepen the character and heart of the "other" guy and gives "my" guy very little page time at all, as if intentionally blurring the "rightness" of Clara's choice and the reader's feelings about said choice. Then again, given Clara's conversation with Uriel at the end of the book, maybe this was the author's point all along: that both guys were equally right for Clara. If so, fine, but then the entire series is over. I realize it's the typical stopping place for a romance: Girl Makes Choice, The End. But it's dissatisfying for both "teams" as readers don't get to see Clara's relationship grow or see the "other" guy find his happiness. Instead, we get a "Nine Years Later" epilogue that only makes us even more aware of the things we missed out on in those nine years.

I need another hundred pages to flesh out the resolutions of character and theme. Or even better, a fourth book. Oh, and while I'm making demands, how about a book for Michael and Maggie? ( )
  AmandaGStevens | Mar 2, 2019 |
I legit just finished this book two seconds ago, and it's kind of hard to type because my hands are sort of shaking.

but that was perfect. the ABSOLUTE perfect ending.

I actually feel like I could achieve glory right now, because my heart just feels so light.

I'll type something more coherent as soon as I can, you know, type again.

30 minutes later.
I did some homework, and I can type again.
I don't how I'm going to talk about this book. IT WAS SO GOOD.

Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
OH.

MY.

GOD.

THIS WAS MAGNIFICENT. *O*

I couldn't have asked for a better ending for the whole saga... I LOVED IT! Even though there were some little things that weren't as perfect as I would have wished they were, the whole book was incredible: captivating, addictive, surprising, touching, moving, exhilarating, magical... It was GORGEOUS! IT DROVE ME CRAZY! I LOVED IT!

The best ending for one of the best - if not THE best - young adult fantasy series I've read in my whole life.

I LOVE IT. I love Clara, I love Tucker, I love Christian, I love Maggie. I even love Samjeeza. They are all so wonderful and I'm going to miss them SO MUCH! *O*~

Thank you, dear Cynthia Hand, for writing such a wonderful saga. It's become one of my new favorites!

MisaBookworm | Dec 5, 2017 |

Cynthia Hand has a way of making a love triangle work. I still can't believe that the journey is over for Clara, Angela, Christian, and Tucker.

Boundless was a bittersweet read for me. I did not want to let these characters go. Each person deals with some pretty intense emotions in this book. The biggest things they have to overcome are jealousy, doubt, fear, and longing. I wasn't a fan of Angela after I read the novella, and I'm still not really all okay with her now. But that's mostly because of how she acts. I wanted to slap some sense into that girl. Poor Clara is so confused about her visions she doesn't know what to do. Christian just wants to be with Clara without her thinking about Tucker. Tucker just wants Clara. But she'll have to choose....

The pacing was perfect. We get snippets of Clara's mom, and even Samjeeza. I really enjoyed finally learning a little about their past. Micheal even shows up for a short bit. There was action in Boundless, and not just little scuffles. :P Everything in the previous books has been leading up to this moment. What will happen? I can't tell you, you'll have to read and find out. Just be forewarned that you will need tissue. Just saying. ;)

A beautiful ending to a great trilogy. I felt closure, and that makes me giddy. :D ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,238,824 books! | Top bar: Always visible