Wool by Hugh Howey

Wool (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Hugh Howey

Series: Silo Series (1), Wool (omnibus 1-5)

An epic story of life, love and survival at all odds and one of the most-talked and anticipated books of the year. In a ruined and hostile landscape, in a future few have been unlucky enough to survive, a community exists in a giant underground silo. Inside, men and women live an enclosed life full of rules and regulations, of secrets and lies. To live, you must follow the rules. But some don't. These are the dangerous ones; these are the people who dare to hope and dream, and who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple and deadly. They are allowed outside. Jules is one of these people. She may well be the last.… (more)
Member:CPK
Title:Wool
Authors:Hugh Howey
Info:New York : Simon & Schuster, 2013, c2012.

Wool by Hugh Howey (2012)

Recently added byArina40, Noeshia, natabat, Tumler100, MenloPark, BeeDow
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding

English (293)  French (5)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (301)
Wool is a slow burn that keeps you guessing. Beautifully written with mesmerizing details, Wool is a haunting post-apocalyptic, living in a silo, last of humanity, subterfuge kind of journey. By the end of Wool, I felt as tired and relieved as the characters, feeling as if I'd been up and down their world of metal stairs 100 times; ready to endure the tide of change and inescapable truths.

I love the idea that a society with one type of culture created this silo world, however, a completely different civilization evolved, creating an environment compatible with the truth, seemingly possible.

I would have loved just a little bit more at the end of this book to get a glimpse at the immediate future of Jules, Lukas, and silo 17. Did the people of 18 thrive with the forbidden knowledge? Did they tunnel over to 17 and begin to restore that habitat? Will the other remaining silos try to stop them? Learn from them? I really have so many questions surrounding this world from the before and into the after that I would love to read and to know, but this portion was well told and stands alone.

I found this journey captivating and Hugh Howley's vision expertly presented. ( )
  Melissa1701C | Oct 17, 2020 |
Wool Omnibus by Hugh Howey I picked this book from the Dystopian list.I would define dystopian as an alternative present with some kind of authoritarian power overshadowing everything. Like 1984, like Brazil (the movie) like Gattica (the movie), like Never let Me Go, like Riddley Walker, Oryx and Crake to name but a few.I find some novels would be better described as sci-fi, post-apocalypse or fantasy novels rather than dystopian. Having said I do acknowledge that there is no hard and fast rule.I'd place this one squarely between  post-apocalyptic and dystopian.Once I started it I found it hard to put down...the short chapters make that late night reading "just-one-more-chapter" scenario a sure fire recipe for 1am - 2am lights out, knowing that you have to get up at 7am for work.It is well written, the main characters have depth and there is a lot of space in some of it (NOT space as in planets!). It is really well paced and flow is good.I liked the descriptions of the internals of the silo and found that I had built up quite an atmospheric image of these departments in a short time. Maybe the descriptions left enough gaps for my imagination to fill in the details?In short, a good read. ( )
  Ken-Me-Old-Mate | Sep 24, 2020 |
A group of people live in an underground silo. ( )
  jrthebutler | Sep 3, 2020 |
Almost really good. The concept/premise is different and interesting, and the "reality" of the story seems plausible. I think it's just the characters that need a bit more work... there are a lot of "key" characters (too many) and they are not very fleshed. And, some, change their personalities over time - the main villain, for example, goes from being an unreasonable "bad guy" to someone who has justified reasons for his behaviour. Perhaps this could be explained by the author exposing his character over time, but there is no demonstration of this exposition - guy goes from being a total azzhat to someone who can justify his behaviour. I will read the rest of the series though, the concept is interesting enough that I am curious as to how they ended up where they are. ( )
  crazybatcow | Aug 6, 2020 |
The only reason why this book is getting 4 stars and not 5 is that it didn't get interesting until the fourth part, roughly halfway through. Honestly, if I had read this as the parts were released I never would have continued past the first section. Having said that, I really enjoyed the story. It did become the book I had hoped it would be...just not as soon as I hoped it would. It was chock full of twists and turns. Every time I thought I had it figured out something would get discovered that I hadn't thought of. Unfortunately, it's one of those books that you can't really go into detail about without revealing spoilers. ( )
  LynnK. | Aug 4, 2020 |
The novel has been compared with the post-apocalyptic fiction of Cormac McCarthy and Justin Cronin, and is more character-driven than conventional sci-fi.

Howey, Hughprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aaltonen, EinariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This collected work is dedicated to anyone who dares dream of a better place.
To those who dare to hope.
The children were playing while Holston climbed to his death; he could hear them squealing as only happy children do.
He’d only ever seen a gun once, a smaller one on the hip of that old deputy, a gun he’d always figured was more for show. He stuffed a fistful of deadly rounds in his pocket, thinking how each one could end an individual life, and understanding why such things were forbidden. Killing a man should be harder than waving a length of pipe in their direction. It should take long enough for one’s conscience to get in the way.
He sounded flustered. Juliette watched him busy about the stove, his movements jerky and manic, and realized she was the one cloistered away and ignorant, not him. He had all these books, decades of reading history, the company of ancestors she could only imagine. What did she have as her experience? A life in a dark hole with thousands of fellow, ignorant savages? She tried to remember this as she watched him dig a finger in his ear and then inspect his fingernail
This edition (often just titled "Wool") contains five short stories:
1) Holston
2) Proper Gauge
3) Casting Off
4) The Unraveling
5) The Stranded

Please do not combine it with the standalone short story titled "Wool".

This Omnibus Edition collects the five Wool books into a single volume. It is for those who arrived late to the party and who wish to save a dollar or two while picking up the same stories in a single package.

The first Wool story was released as a standalone short in July of 2011. Due to reviewer demand, the rest of the story was released over the next six months. My thanks go out to those reviewers who clamored for more. Without you, none of this would exist. Your demand created this as much as I did.

This is the story of mankind clawing for survival, of mankind on the edge. The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. But there are always those who hope, who dream. These are the dangerous people, the residents who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple. They are given the very thing they profess to want: They are allowed outside.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,567,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible