A Lady by Midnight by Tessa Dare

A Lady by Midnight

by Tessa Dare

A temporary engagement, a lifetime in the making . . . After years of fending for herself, Kate Taylor found friendship and acceptance in Spindle Cove-but she never stopped yearning for love. The very last place she'd look for it is in the arms of Corporal Thorne. The militia commander is as stone cold as he is brutally handsome. But when mysterious strangers come searching for Kate, Thorne steps forward as her fianc.? He claims to have only Kate's safety in mind. So why is there smoldering passion in his kiss? Long ago, Samuel Thorne devoted his life to guarding Kate's happiness. He wants what's best for her, and he knows it's not marriage to a man like him. To outlast their temporary engagement, he must keep his hands off her tempting body and lock her warm smiles out of his withered heart. It's the toughest battle of this hardened warrior's life . . . and the first he seems destined to lose.… (more)

Not quite angsty, but close. I'm also not putting it on my "plain" shelf since there was so little interaction with that aspect of the character. Liked it, though! ( )
  PNRList | Aug 15, 2018 |
A beautiful story. Just thinking about it makes me want to read it again. ( )
  RachelNR | Jul 29, 2018 |
A Lady by Midnight
3.5 Stars

A solid romance with an engaging couple but the writing is clunky at times and the lost family subplot is tedious and banal.

Kate and Thorne are lovely together and the development of their opposites attract relationship is absorbing, especially with the build up to the revelations concerning their shared past. Thorne's gruff exterior conceals a man who feels things deeply and the intensity of his desire for Kate is palpable. Although the lengths to which he goes in order to protect Kate are somewhat extreme, they are consistent with his tortured nature and steadfast personality. Kate is a sweet heroine who sees the good in everyone and everything but she sometimes appears naive and gullible. There are moments where I wish she would have stood her ground more forcibly.

While the Grammercys have potential as an ominous and threatening element, Dare chooses to portray them as the loving family that Kate has yearned for all her life. Unfortunately, this falls flat because they are completely uninteresting as characters. They are supposed to be eccentric and endearing but come across as idiotic and annoying.

The cameo appearances by couples from the previous books are nice and the epilogue provides satisfying closure to the book. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
A really great continuation of this series from Tessa Dare. I don't know if she plans on writing more books for this series but the Gramercys (Evan, Lark and this mysterious Bennett)can provide excellent future stories. Those who have been following along know of Kate's plight of being orphaned and having no recollection of her past. And Corporal Thorne, the resident brooder of Spindle Cove, can't help to watch her nor be around her. And for the last two Spindle Cove books, I've been waiting for these two to finally get their moment to shine.

Everything was going great until around 85% of the book, then it got a little wonky the weird medieval-like battle, Evan's villain-like chracter(still question if he was supposed to be bad or not)& Samuel asking to be shackled to not stop Kate's wedding It hurts my heart to even take away a star for that but I must cause the author wrote such an excellent buildup to that point and then it started to touch the land of the absurd. The wonkiness gets reeled back a bit but I had a slight sour taste in my reader's palate after visiting absurd world.

Spindle Cove fans get visits from Susanna & Bram and Minerva & Colin (Oh how I adore thee).

Samuel and Kate's love story and the work of their relationship was pretty good. Unfortunately, it seems Minerva & Colin are my fave couple from this series and I guess I want the rest of the books to live up to that pinnacle of romance that was reached in [b:A Week to Be Wicked|11738128|A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)|Tessa Dare|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1321335382s/11738128.jpg|16687336].

But it's still a great love story! FOUR STARS

SheReadsALot | Jun 20, 2016 |
This series just keeps getting better! I love Spindle Cove - I wish it was a real place I could visit. The Gramercys cracked me up, I loved them. Especially Aunt Marmoset. Kate and Thorne were wonderful. ( )
  CarpeLibrum58 | Jun 4, 2016 |
For Tessa Woodward and Helen Breitwieser, with much gratitude
Corporal Throne could make a woman quiver, from all the way across the room. An inconvenient talent, so far as Kate Taylor was concerned.

A temporary engagement, a lifetime in the making . . .
After years of fending for herself, Kate Taylor found friendship and acceptance in Spindle Cove—but she never stopped yearning for love. The very last place she'd look for it is in the arms of Corporal Thorne. The militia commander is as stone cold as he is brutally handsome. But when mysterious strangers come searching for Kate, Thorne steps forward as her fiancÉ. He claims to have only Kate's safety in mind. So why is there smoldering passion in his kiss?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,674,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible