In the After by Demitria Lunetta

In the After (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Demitria Lunetta

Series: In the After (1)

In a post-apocalyptic world where nothing is as it seems, seventeen-year-old Amy and Baby, a child she found while scavenging, struggle to survive while vicious, predatory creatures from another planet roam the Earth.
Member:MaryKirkpatrick
Title:In the After
Authors:Demitria Lunetta
Info:New York, NY : HarperTeen, [2013]

In the After by Demitria Lunetta (2013)

5* ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
In the After by Demitria Lunetta opens with the story of Amy, a survivor of an apparent alien invasion. She is the only child of a scientist mother and hippie father, both of whom are out on the day the aliens arrive and are presumed dead. The aliens are predators that hunt humans down in order to devour them and although their eyesight isn’t good their hearing is exceptional and Amy has to learn how to live soundlessly. She finds a young child, names her Baby, and the two live together in absolute silence.

One night while out scavenging they are captured and taken into an aircraft. Amy fears that the aliens have them, but to her surprise they have been picked up by humans who take them to a safe community of survivors, called New Hope. Amy and Baby now must learn to fit into a society that has very set rules and regulations. Amy, ever curious, doesn’t just accept the surface reasons but digs deeper and unearths some major secrets that change everything for her and place her in great danger.

In the After is the first part of a YA sci-fi adventure story that places the reader in the center of the action right from the first paragraph. These alien creatures are deadly and Amy must use all her survival skills to keep her and Baby alive. Once the girls have been taken to New Hope the style of the book changes and the story now unfolds in a series of flashbacks. The ending is abrupt and leaves us with a lot of questions which I am sure the second volume will be dealing with. Overall I found this an average read with the first half of the book being stronger than the second. I will be reading on as I have the sequel on my shelves and I am interested enough to want to find out what happens next. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jan 9, 2021 |
I love post apocalyptic and zombie books because I enjoy reading about how people can adapt and survive even the most unthinkable circumstances. In the After was a little post-apocalyptic thriller, a little zombie-ish, a little sci-fi alien invasion and a little bit dystopian. So many of the elements I enjoy wrapped up in one book, it's easy to see why I was so excited to read this and maybe why I had such high expectations for it.

I absolutely enjoyed the beginning of the book. The world building in the opening scenes painted a vivid picture of how quickly the world became a terrifying and dangerous place inhabited by creatures drawn to light and sound. I was fascinated by the way Amy and Baby had created a non-verbal way of communicating that was based on sign language but was adapted to work in their specific circumstances. I thought that the author did a great job creating a feeling of resignation and hopelessness in the characters but still that spirit to survive and persevere.

Where In the After fell short for me was in the second half, after Amy & Baby's "rescue". I spent most of the book feeling alternately confused and annoyed with the direction that the story seemed to be taking. The dystopic society that was created didn't seem entirely plausible and just felt loosely constructed. The interactions between the characters felt awkward and artificial, the romance wasn't believable, and most of the relationships felt forced. This was a bit of a disappointment since I had so enjoyed the world building in the beginning.

Ultimately, In the After was an okay read. I don't know if I will continue with the series since I didn't really like the direction the story went. However, I would still recommend it to fans of zombie, post apoc, sci fi, and dystopic themed books. ( )
  NCDonnas | Jan 2, 2021 |

NCDonnas | Jan 2, 2021 |
OK, but way too predictable. Like Them, I saw every twist in the plot far ahead of the words. The heroine, Amy, didn't stand out for anything. ( )
  MaximusStripus | Jul 7, 2020 |

Lunetta, Demitriaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,401,450 books! | Top bar: Always visible