Etiquette & Espionage

by Gail Carriger

Series: Parasol Universe (1), Finishing School (1)

2,4352094,822 (3.79)219
In an alternate England of 1851, spirited fourteen-year-old Sophronia is enrolled in a finishing school where, she is suprised to learn, lessons include not only the fine arts of dance, dress, and etiquette, but also diversion, deceit, and espionage.
    Soulless by Gail Carriger (kgriffith)
    Kat, Incorrigible by Stephanie Burgis (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Kat, Incorrigible is set during the regency period and Etiquette & Espionage is set during the Victorian period but both are books featuring a young girl who doesn't conform to society's expectations and both are a lot of fun to read.
    God Save the Queen by Kate Locke (binarydude)
    Sorcery and Cecelia, or, The Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia C. Wrede (wordcauldron)
    I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter (bell7)
    bell7: Though set in different time periods, both books feature smart, funny heroines who go to a school where all is not as it seems.
    Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers (wordcauldron)
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (wordcauldron)
    Third Daughter by Susan Kaye Quinn (wordcauldron)
    Dickensen Academy by Christine Grabowski (wordcauldron)
    Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld (LAKobow)
    Crown Duel (Crown Duel / Court Duel) by Sherwood Smith (wordcauldron)
    Lady of Devices by Shelley Adina (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: A fun steampunk series
    The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (kgriffith)
    Emilie and the Hollow World by Martha Wells (foggidawn)
    These Vicious Masks by Tarun Shanker (LongDogMom)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (kgriffith)
    A Lady of Resources by Shelley Adina (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both are steampunk tales filled with strong and resourceful young women, humour, excitement and characters you come to care about.
    Magnificent Devices, Books 1-4 by Shelley Adina (SunnySD)
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone [unknown editions] (binarydude)

English (208)  Piratical (1)  All languages (209)
This is an enjoyable romp, complete with absurd names, a fantastic multi-dirigible moving finishing school, vampires, werewolves, and kerfuffles. ( )
  sleahey | Jan 22, 2022 |
After loving Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series, I was disappointed by this book. It had some moments of the quirky charm I expect of Carriger, and I enjoyed seeing some of the Parasol Protectorate characters as young versions of themselves. However, I just didn't connect to the plot or most of the characters. The mystery part especially didn't flow as smoothly as I'd like. Sophronia was annoyingly perfect at everything: she almost always came up with the ideas, made the connections, saved the day. With the whole cast of characters, it would have made much more sense and been more rewarding for others to share the spotlight, and for Sophronia to actually fail and learn along the way. Race issues were handled really poorly, and with Sophronia, being of course a perfect protagonist, modelling more acceptance than her peers or upbringing would warrant. ( )
  hissingpotatoes | Jan 5, 2022 |
Sophronia is sent off to a finishing school that turns out to be quite different from what she expected, even besides its floating above the moors supported by three dirigibles. ( )
  kcollett | Nov 25, 2021 |
This book was a delight! My coworker at the library recommended it to me saying that if I liked steampunk, which I do, I just had to read it. And so I did. Well, I more listened to the audiobook which I found quite charming. It was a fun story about a young girl who is sent to a finishing school by her mother to learn how to be a proper lady, but this school is anything but a regular finishing school. At this finishing school you learn how to finish anything and anyone that needs finishing (basically intelligence gathering and assassination if need call for it) and be respectful and ‘ladylike’ while doing it! I loved the boldness of the main character and the drive she had to learn and explore! I also must say that I loved the accents the audiobook used for each character. It gave the story a quality that I found entirely endearing! ( )
  klcarmack | Nov 12, 2021 |
Lots of fun. 3.5 stars on the first read; we'll see how it ages.
  VictoriaGaile | Oct 16, 2021 |

Carriger, Gailprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Impey, AlisonCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AllisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quirk, MoiraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schechter, CarrieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
With eternal thanks to all those who finished me, at each stage, and in the best of all possible ways: Kathy, Carol, Harriet, James, Anne, Joe, Timi, Judith, and Tom. There is no job harder than teaching, and to be truly great at it? Heroic. And for Willow, representing for the next generation.
Sophronia intended to pull the dumbwaiter up from the kitchen to outside the front parlor on the ground floor, where Mrs. Barnaclegoose was taking tea.
"Werewolf? Bully! We don't have any supernaturals here. It's quite a dearth in the deanship if you ask me. Any reputable school ought to have at least one vampire professor. Eton has three. You lot are only girls, and you've a vampire and a werewolf. Jolly unfair, that's what I call it."

It's one thing to learn to curtsy properly. It's quite another to learn to curtsy and throw a knife at the same time. Welcome to finishing school.

Fourteen-year-old Sophronia is a great trial to her poor mother. Sophronia is more interested in dismantling clocks and climbing trees than proper manners - and the family can only hope that company never sees her atrocious curtsy. Mrs. Temminnick is desperate for her daughter to become a proper lady. So she enrolls Sophronia in Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality.

But Sophronia soon realizes the school is not quite what her mother might have hoped. At Mademoiselle Geraldine's young ladies learn to finish . . . everything. Certainly, they learn the fine arts of dance, dress, and etiquette, but they also learn to deal out death, diversion, and espionage - in the politest possible ways, of course. Sophronia and her friends are in for a rousing first year's education.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,313,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible