Monty: v. 3: His Part in My Victory - War…

Monty: v. 3: His Part in My Victory - War Biography (original 1976; edition 1978)

by Spike Milligan, Jack Hobbs (Editor)

Member:clevercelt
Title:Monty: v. 3: His Part in My Victory - War Biography
Authors:Spike Milligan
Other authors:Jack Hobbs (Editor)
Info:Penguin Books Ltd (1978), Paperback, 128 pages

Monty: His Part in My Victory by Spike Milligan (1976)

This is the third book in Spike Milligan's war memoirs (volume 1; volume 2). Combat has now died down in Africa, and no one is ready to be shipped to a new field of combat yet. The troops are therefore getting bored. Suddenly the establishment recalls that Milligan can play the trumpet and the band reforms. Most of this book is spent being shuffled between army staging areas, and performing music. Regardless of little "happening", still an engaging read.

http://www.stillhq.com/book/Spike_Milligan/Monty_His_Part_in_My_Victory.html ( )
  mikal | Mar 16, 2016 |
One of the finest comic minds of the 20th century encounters WWII.
In a sense, the war wins, but Spike gives survival of the boy from east London a 'damn good try. This is a comic romp, that more than many more earnest efforts, has really brought home the tragedy of war to me. From the moment of his drafting to the end of the war in Italy, the radio operator of an artillery battery gives us his honest take on the major tragedy of the century. Should be read by everyone, jingoists and pacifists alike.
This is volume three, and the Eighth Army gets ready to be flung into the invasion of Sicily from Tunis. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Jul 16, 2014 |
Spike Milligan continues his excellent memoirs covering their rest period after the Afrika Korps surrendered to being deployed to Italy. Highly recommended reading. ( )
  Luftwaffe_Flak | Feb 6, 2014 |
The humour continues with Spike Milligan's third installment of his war memoirs. This covers the period from May to September 1943, after the fall of Tunis. The battery is not engaged in very heavy fighting, so there are a lot more light-hearted anecdotes: concerts, Edgington's various self-inflicted injuries, and of course the men's attempts to score with the ladies. Much-loved Major Chater Jack is also transferred to another unit, and his replacement is very strict and humourless.

This was an entertaining enough read, but I think my favourite bits were actually the ones involving Spike's father, who was definitely a character. For example, Spike said that his dad's way of stopping Hitler would be to "invite him to a game of poker -- then, at a crucial stage, call him 'Ein Cheat'." (Milligan Sr was a big fan of Westerns.) The banter between Spike and Edgington is also amusing, as are any of Spike's horrendous puns. I enjoyed this and laughed out loud a lot, but Vol. 2 is still my favourite. Looking forward to Vol. 4. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Jun 3, 2012 |
Although this is first rate comedy, there is a poignancy about it, as there should be with any reflections on war. Perhaps comedy is the best medium for writing about the horror of war? ( )
  johnthefireman | Sep 26, 2006 |
To Friends of the Earth
May 7th 1943.
Preface: This Volume will cover from the fall of Tunis until our embarkation for the Salerno Landings.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,145,824 books! | Top bar: Always visible