Who Could That Be at This Hour? (All the…

"Who Could That Be at This Hour?" (All the Wrong Questions) (edition 2014)

by Lemony Snicket (Author), Seth (Illustrator)

Series: All The Wrong Questions (book 1)

Thirteen-year-old Lemony Snicket begins his apprenticeship with S. Theodora Markson of the secretive V.F.D. in the tiny dot of a town called Stain'd By The Sea, where he helps investigate the theft of a statue.
Member:Ianh.B1
Title:"Who Could That Be at This Hour?" (All the Wrong Questions)
Authors:Lemony Snicket (Author)
Other authors:Seth (Illustrator)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2014), Edition: Reprint, 288 pages

Work Information

Who Could That Be at This Hour? by Lemony Snicket

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (Authoress)
    Authoress: Orphaned and semi-orphaned children are chosen to join a secret organization

After myself and Milly both LOVED the Series of Unfortunate Events we decided to give this series a try. It has some of the same dry humour, absurdity and wordplay of the that series, but hasn't clicked with me quite as much just yet. Entertaining enough that we've got the 2nd one lined up to read soon though. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Oct 4, 2021 |
I love his unique humor, but his depression is starting to get to me... I can't believe that I made it through 13 books of this already! ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
Ugh, If I could have Lemony Snicket narrate my life I would. This was beautiful. I love mysteries, and Snicket's style is so witty and entertaining that I cannot help but say that this was one of the most worthwhile things I have read in a long time. I simply cannot wait until the sequel comes out. I might faint. I honestly don't know what else to say but, please, if you decide to read only one book this year, let it be this one. (But please, don't resort to that.) ( )
  Conni_W | Jul 7, 2021 |
I have very, very mixed feelings on this. At first, it was great, because I thought I'd be getting a more inside look on VFD, but instead, I got a very wired mystery that I didn't care for at all, with annoying characters. I kept reading because I loved the small references to A Series of Unfortunate Events. In the end, it went back to talking about VFD., but it was irritatingly vaguer than in the original series.

You should definitely read ASOUE before this because many things will go over your head if you don't, but be prepared for mysteries and not a lot of VFD. ( )
  afrozenbookparadise | Apr 22, 2021 |
I really enjoyed Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events series, even when it became a little tiresome. This book introduces us to a young Snicket (a pseudonym and fictional character/author, if you don't know the books already) as he learns to become a detective. The book contains lots of the usual gags -- a word which here means mildly amusing but sometimes repetitive and occasionally downright annoying stylistic quirks and jokes -- but they just feel a little fractured. The sense of tragedy that runs through the earlier series is not present here, and the book feels a bit like the window dressing without the window. My son had read it and recommended it for a family read. I was game, having enjoyed reading the other series, but this one was a disappointment, and I'm unlikely to read any of the others in this series. ( )
  dllh | Jan 6, 2021 |

Lemony Snicketprimary authorall editionscalculated
SethIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
There was a town, and there was a girl, and there was a theft. I was living in the town, and i was hired to investigate the theft, and I thought the girl had nothing to do with it. I was almost thirteen and I was wrong.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,616,926 books! | Top bar: Always visible