Thick as Thieves

by Megan Whalen Turner

Series: Queen's Thief (5)

"Kamet, a secretary and slave to his Mede master, has the ambition and the means to become one of the most powerful people in the Empire. But with a whispered warning the future he envisioned is wrenched away, and he is forced onto a very different path"--

I just cannot seem to get enough of this series. The world that MTW has created feels so real. Her character seem like they actually exist. Oh how I do not want this series to come to a conclusion! ( )
  Christilee394 | Jan 31, 2022 |
Very engrossing and exciting read. I do take issue with on thing though, slavery plays a big part in this story and I feel like the author hasn't fully addressed the implications of the inclusion of that in the worldbuilding, although this installment did much better than those previous. ( )
  mutantpudding | Dec 26, 2021 |
Turns out this book is far more enjoyable when you don't accidentally skip the preceding two books. I guess that speaks to Megan Whalen Turner's skill as an author--this book technically makes sense as a stand-alone, but it is ever so much more interesting when it assumes its proper place in the Queen's Thief timeline. ( )
  Samantha_Quick | Jul 15, 2021 |
Reading this (and rereading King of Attolia) is the first time I noticed how interwoven these books are with each other. In King of Attolia there's this side-note about the disappearance of Sounis's heir, and then comes Conspiracy of Kings. Thick As Thieves and Return of the Thief meanwhile each travel on briefly intersecting arcs. To be honest I'm more interested in the arc set in the Attolian Peninsula: this feels more of a "let's take a break to explore the world" sidestory and while the main character in nice enough in his own arrogant way, ultimately it's Gen who's the star of the series so I'm always keen to see more rather than less of him. Still this book retains sufficient of Gen's trickery, even in his mostly-absence, to retain my enjoyment. ( )
  zeborah | Jun 5, 2021 |
Thick as Thieves by Megan Whalen Turner is the 5th book in her Queen’s Thief series, but it could also be read as a stand alone story. Kamet is the slave-secretary to the former ambassador of Attolia, Nahuseresh. He enjoys his position, even though he must endure his masters moods. One day when a fellow slave tells him that his master has been poisoned, he joins forces with an Attolian soldier who has offered to help him get to Attolia. Since the slaves of a murdered master are put to death as a precaution, Kamet knows he needs to leave the Empire. Together they travel across the Mede empire looking for a way to fully escape all that are trailing after them.

This was a fun adventure story that was lighter in style than some of the previous books. Kamet and Costis, the Attolian soldier, make an interesting pair and as they bond and grow in friendship, the reader learns to care for these characters and to root for their success. The last third of the book comes full circle back to the political machinations of the King and Queen of Attolia and gives us a very satisfactory ending.

This is a superior YA fantasy series as the author takes great care to slowly build her characters and create relationships that feel real. The setting, world building and politics are crafted with care and the result is a complex, multilayered story that fully engages the reader. I am hopeful that there will be more books in this series. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Feb 24, 2021 |

Megan Whalen Turnerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Plasse, MaximMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my editor, Virginia Duncan, one of those guiding stars whose influence is all the more profound for being so often unseen
It was midday and the passageway quiet and cool.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,111,142 books! | Top bar: Always visible