Step Gently Out by Helen Frost

Step Gently Out

by Helen Frost, Rick Lieder (Photographer)

2023087,296 (4.22)None

This book encourages its readers to slow down and look at the world around them. I love that it talks about many different insects and what they have to offer the world. It also has amazing photographs that really compliment the words. ( )
  ElizabethHogeland | Aug 8, 2018 |
This book was sorely needed by me when I first read it. It's just simple, and up close, and made me smile. The best part, to be honest, was the mantis picture! That thing just looks at you like "What? I don't know what you're looking at?" It's make me laugh every time.
  zepellet | Nov 18, 2017 |
The photographs in this book were extremely magnified but still very clear, which provides the reader with an amazing image. Readers also learn about a variety of insects through the pictures, and descriptions with names are provided in the back.
  AlecA1994 | Jul 21, 2017 |
A poem encouraging one to step gently out and look at the world closely. There are so many things to examine and consider. When the littlest things have such great details!
  kathleenkarakey | May 14, 2017 |
The vocabulary is so great in this book! The vocabulary meaning is clearly seen in the pictures as well! I would use this to teach context clues and look at the pictures.
  ansleyg | Mar 12, 2017 |

Helen Frostprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lieder, RickPhotographermain authorall editionsconfirmed

Stunning close-up photography and a lyrical text implore children to look more closely at the world around them.

Be still, and watch a single blade of grass.
An ant climbs up to look around.
A honeybee flies past.

What would happen if you walked very, very quietly and looked ever so carefully at the natural world outside? You might see a cricket leap, a moth spread her wings, or a spider step across a silken web. In simple, evocative language, Helen Frost offers a hint at the many tiny creatures around us. And in astonishing close-up photographs, Rick Lieder captures the glint of a katydid's eye, the glow of a firefly, and many more living wonders just awaiting discovery. Fascinating facts about all the creatures pictured may be found at the end.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:36 -0400)

Close-up photos and lightly-rhymed declarative verse capture a bug's-eye view of nature and encouarge children to experience the world outside their doors with care and openness. Includes insect facts. "Step gently out, be still and look closely at the world just outside your door-you are sure to be amazed by the tiny creatures you can find. You might see a cricket leap and land, a moth open her wings, a spider walking across the air, or maybe even a praying mantis looking back at you!"--Dust jacket.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,551,580 books! | Top bar: Always visible