Goblins by Philip Reeve

Goblins

by Philip Reeve

‘Goblins’ by Philip Reeve is a riveting novel that will suck you into its world of fantasy in the blink of an eye and get you on the edge of your seat with every turn of the page. Philip Reeve is able to take you on an enthralling adventure and assures you that it is an adventure you have never ever experienced before. The novel is made interesting through the various types of characters Reeve introduces such as goblins, ogres, trolls, giants, princesses and heroes and it is everything you would expect from a magical fantasy story. I would strongly recommend this book to the fantasy fans of all ages but beware, once you are in, it will almost be impossible to put down the book.

The book features Skarper, a peculiar goblin that belongs to the fearsome Blackspike Boys… until he was catapulted off the very top of the Blackspike Tower. Skarper is a very unique and unusual goblin, in a world where fighting and stealing other people’s loot is a common every-day lifestyle, Skarper tends to read books. He looks like a goblin, smells like a goblin, but there’s something different about him… he is way too smart for a goblin, and as a result he was kicked out of the Blackspike Boys by King Knobbler the leader. Join Skarper and his new companion, Henwyn, a wannabe hero as they embark on a wild adventure throughout the land of Clovenstone.

Prior to the beginning of the story, there are illustrations of some of the goblins and also a map of all of Clovenstone to add to the entertainment. Through the detailed descriptions, illustrations and humorous writing, I personally very much enjoyed this book. The writing is very casual and so the plot is easy understand and follow along. As mentioned I recommend this book to anyone who is looking for an exciting book to read, and have a little laugh while at it. Without a doubt I would rate this novel a 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  itsjeremyl | Jul 22, 2015 |
I got a copy of this book through Netgalley(dot)com to review. This book has a companion novel called Goblins vs. Dwarves; Goblins was originally released in the UK in 2012...I haven’t seen a US release date for Goblins vs. Dwarves yet. This was a super fun read that is appropriate for all ages; me and my family absolutely loved it.

This story is about a goblin named Skarper who doesn't fit in with the rest of the goblins at Clovenstone; he’s just too smart to be a goblin. When he is kicked out of the tower...or uh more like catapulted out, he runs into a cheesewright named Henwyn who wants to become a hero. Skarper and Henwyn part ways but not for long. It looks like changes are coming to Clovenstone and that the Lych Lord might be ready to awaken.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I read it with my six year old son (and husband who listened in) and it was a great read. It was full of good ole fantasy adventure, battles, lots of humor, lessons in friendship and lessons in what happens when someone gets too much power.

We laughed out loud a number of times and enjoyed the irony of a little goblin being the most sensible of a bunch of heroic (or not so heroic) humans.

Skarper is an excellent character. He just wants to be left alone to read pages of paper he finds in the goblins bumwipe piles (yep, you can guess what the goblins usually use that paper for). However when he gets too smart for his own good he is catapulted into the world beyond...literally. Still determined to see what there is to see of the world he sets off, only to run into Henwyn.

Upon their meeting Henwyn is convinced that Skarper is a troll...that is until a troll attcks him and Skarper. Henwyn is a cheesewright with aspirations of becoming a hero. Henwyn is a bundle of good intentions, but isn’t so gifted in the brains department.

Both heros met unlikely princesses, giants, and sorcerers along the way. None of these characters are what they first appear to be leading to the assumption that...my dear reader...appearances can be very deceiving.

When boglins get involved things get sticky and then lots of adventures and breathtaking fights ensue. Things are looking up until we get involved with the Lich Lord and then...well...have you ever meet a good Lych Lord?

This book was absolutely tons of fun to read and has lots of great lessons. It's a good old swords and sorcery fantasy with a lot of humor and a lot of heart; something that’s hard to find. My son loved it and looked forward to reading it with me every night. My husband would get upset if we started without him because he had to know what was going to happen next.

The story has a lot of twists and turns and is very well written. This is one of those wonderful books that assumes children are intelligent and can follow a somewhat complicated story.

Overall I absolutely loved this story and so did my 6 year old and husband. It’s a good old swords and sorcery fantasy with tons of humor, irony, heart, and even good life lessons (absolute power corrupts absolutely and don’t judge a book by its cover). I wholeheartedly recommend this book to fantasy fans of all ages. It is a fun read, never gets too scary, and has excellent action and adventure in a wonderful world. I will definitely be picking up Goblins vs Dwaves when it releases in the US (or I might even buy it from the UK). ( )
  krau0098 | Aug 5, 2013 |
Philip Reeve is a class act, a marvellously original creator of intelligent and entertaining fictions. The Mortal Engines series remains his great achievement, but with Goblins – as if taking a little time off to please himself (and, it seems from a note on his website, his son) – he has produced something altogether lighter but no less brilliant: a fantasia on a theme by Tolkien, a relaxed and joyous riff on a familiar-sounding world of trolls, giants and wizards, where the dark tower of the ruined fortress of Clovenstone, inhabited now by nests of loutish goblins, awaits the return of the Lych Lord's rightful heir, a mighty sorcerer to rule the world.

Philip Reeveprimary authorall editionscalculated
Altmann, ScottCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Young Skarper has always been a different sort of goblin, more interested in knowledge and information than eating and throwing rocks, and it gets him into trouble--but it may also be the key to saving Clovenstone from a dark sorcerer.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,800,681 books! | Top bar: Always visible