Wings of Fire Book One: The Dragonet…

Wings of Fire Book One: The Dragonet Prophecy (edition 2013)

by Tui T. Sutherland (Author)

Member:RaintreeLibraryKS
Title:Wings of Fire Book One: The Dragonet Prophecy
Authors:Tui T. Sutherland (Author)
Info:Scholastic Press (2013), Edition: Reprint, 336 pages

The Dragonet Prophecy by Tui T. Sutherland

a realy good book for 8-13
  zekromblue | May 26, 2019 |
Violent and rather bleak. I liked the descriptions of the dragons, their different powers,etc. but I thought a little more levity would have improved this book a great deal. Story focuses on war, but is unnecessarily depressing. Not for sensitive kids. ( )
  Jandrew74 | May 26, 2019 |
If I hadn’t read this to endure myself to my youngest daughter, I would have rated it two stars. The book didn’t keep my interest–no character was more developed than one of the sidekicks in He-Man. In fact, the whole thing could be a Saturday Morning Cartoon, if you don’t mind a little more death than Power Rangers. They bleed, they take prisoners, they torture, they disfigure. But it still feels engineered to sell toys to the kids.

It starts well, but the tones keep switching back and forth. From cutesy bonding to gladiator violence to royal court intrigue. And the author does not maintain distinguishable character voices for everyone (and there are a lot for a MG book). And what’s worse, they don’t sound like dragons. Now, I understand that dragons aren’t real so no one knows what they sound like. But my point is the dialogue lacks species characterization. They sound like humans, not four-legged flying carnivores. If you didn’t know they were dragons, this could be any YA novel.

It’s a strange little book with a lot of cliches (like a Chosen One Prophecy and five-man band) but at least it doesn’t condescend. I guess if you like dragons, it might be worth looking through. But it’s definitely not the new Harry Potter. It’s not even the next Divergent. ( )
  theWallflower | Feb 1, 2019 |
I am very happy one of the book clubers at work told me about this series. ( )
  Starla_Aurora | Oct 29, 2018 |
I went into this book thinking there's no way I would like a story about dragons no matter how well written it is. I was wrong. This book kept me entertained from beginning to end. There's suspense, action, bravery, good, evil, friendship, fighting, survival. There's not a human to be found anywhere in this book. It's strictly a world of dragons, behaving as humans.

In this world of dragons, there are different "races," as in the human world. They are competitive and don't get along. They all want power, and therefore, they are at war. There's the skywings, mudwings, seawings, sandwings, nightwings, and rainwings. I'm forgetting one, but you get the picture. There is a prophecy that says 5 chosen dragonets (dragon children) will end the war. Book 1 introduces you to the dragonets, but there is no resolution. Nothing is accomplished by the dragonets. I assume this will drag out through many books. And these aren't short books, so clear your docket if you plan to read them all.

The main character is Clay. He's a mudwing. Up to the point where the story begins, the prophecy dragonets have been raised in a cave by surrogates on behalf of the Talons of Peace. When they overhear a conversation about the intention to kill the rainwing dragonet, Clay and Tsunami decide it's time to escape. They manage a thrilling escape, but when they return to free the other 3 dragonets, they are captured by Scarlet, queen of the skywings. For a good chunk of the rest of the book they are held captive and forced to entertain the queen in gladiator-like matches. There's fighting to the death. There's twists. There's alliances. There's double-crossing. Once the escape happens, which always happens, there's the hunt. These dragonets cannot be allowed to fulfill the prophecy. Some dragons just love war and power too much. The book ends in a cliffhanger, and book 2 is your only option.

Fans of Erin Hunter, set aside your cats, and say hello to the dragons. ( )
  valorrmac | Sep 21, 2018 |
A dragon was trying to hide in the storm.

A thrilling new series soars above the competition and redefines middle-grade fantasy fiction for a new generation!

The seven dragon tribes have been at war for generations, locked in an endless battle over an ancient, lost treasure. A secret movement called the Talons of Peace is determined to bring an end to the fighting, with the help of a prophecy -- a foretelling that calls for great sacrifice.

Five dragonets are collected to fulfill the prophecy, raised in a hidden cave and enlisted, against their will, to end the terrible war.

But not every dragonet wants a destiny. And when the select five escape their underground captors to look for their original homes, what has been unleashed on the dragon world may be far more than the revolutionary planners intended . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:44 -0400)

"Clay has lived his whole life under the mountain. The MudWing dragonet knows war is raging between the dragon tribes in the world outside - a war that he and four other dragonets are destined to end, according to the mysterious prophecy they have been taught. The five "chosen" dragonets were stolen from their homes while they were still in their eggs - and hidden away for years - all to fulfill the prophecy. But not every dragonet wants a destiny. And when danger threatens one of their own, Clay and his friends may choose freedom over fate ... leave the mountain ... and set the dragon world on a course that no one could have predicted." -- back cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,715,448 books! | Top bar: Always visible