Wings of Fire Book One: The Dragonet…

Wings of Fire Book One: The Dragonet Prophecy (edition 2013)

by Tui T. Sutherland (Author)

Series: Wings of Fire (1)

"Clay has lived his whole life under the mountain. The MudWing dragonet knows war is raging between the dragon tribes in the world outside - a war that he and four other dragonets are destined to end, according to the mysterious prophecy they have been taught. The five "chosen" dragonets were stolen from their homes while they were still in their eggs - and hidden away for years - all to fulfill the prophecy. But not every dragonet wants a destiny. And when danger threatens one of their own, Clay and his friends may choose freedom over fate ... leave the mountain ... and set the dragon world on a course that no one could have predicted." -- Jacket.… (more)
Member:lmmclean
Title:Wings of Fire Book One: The Dragonet Prophecy
Authors:Tui T. Sutherland (Author)
Info:Scholastic Press (2013), Edition: Illustrated, 336 pages

Work Information

The Dragonet Prophecy by Tui T. Sutherland

As part of my continuing quest to find books for my precocious 9yo with a HUGE appetite for reading, I was recommended this series. I’m glad I read through it instead of just handing it over based on a recommendation alone. The storyline itself is fine, and I liked how it was developed, even tho the surprises weren’t all that surprising. It’s an enjoyable read (listen), especially toward the end when the dragonets start uncovering some vital information.
The thing that did surprise me was the violence/bloodthirstiness, for which reason alone I’ll wait for my kid to read it, until she’s probably 12-13. ( )
  Annrosenzweig | Oct 15, 2021 |
Wings of Fire, The Dragonet Prophecy is book #1 in the series for author Tui T. Sutherland. This story captures kids who love dragons! A story of five dragonets, who grow up under a mountain by dragons that want to see peace in their war torn land. The five are raised secretly to fulfil a prophecy to choose a queen. Clay, Tsunami, Glory, Sunny and Starflight are the five dragonets who grow and learn together. I appreciated the good v. evil theme as the dragonets are meant to end the war between the tribes. The friendship that develops between Clay (who this first books seems to be set) and one who is supposed to be an enemy, Peril, is a bit of nice among a somewhat gory and brutal fights. I especially like that the adventure in the book keeps it moving when the dialog at times was a bit dull. I don't feel this would be true for the intended audience. I definitely see this geared toward the 4-8 grades that love the world of dragons and fantasy. ( )
  Kate.K | Jul 18, 2021 |
children's adventure fiction/talking dragons. This is a popular series among the local schools. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
A NightWing prophecy predicts that after twenty years of war, five dragonets - a SeaWing, a NightWing, a SkyWing, a MudWing, and a SandWing - will end the war and choose between one of three queens. Underneath a mountain, five dragonets - Tsunami, Starflight, Glory, Clay, and Sunny - have been hidden their whole lives by the Talons of Peace, who believe wholeheartedly in the prophecy. But the prophecy went wrong from the beginning, when the SkyWing egg was crushed, and replaced with a RainWing. When the five dragonets hear of a plan to "take care of" the RainWing, Glory, they know the time has come to escape. And escape they do - only to wind up as prisoners of the SkyWing queen, Scarlet, who hosts gladiator-style fights in her arena for entertainment. She plans to have the dragonets fight each other to the death, and if any of them survive, they'll face Scarlet's champion, Peril. But Peril seems to have a soft spot for Clay, and Clay is immune to Peril's scorching heat; with her help, the dragonets are able to escape once again, and plan to return to their families. But Clay's homecoming is not what he expected; MudWing parents don't care much for their young. However, the bond between siblings is important, and Clay's "sib" Reed explains that Clay was supposed to be the "bigwings" of their group - the biggest, the protector. Clay goes off with the four other dragonets, to the SeaWing kingdom to reunite Tsunami with her royal mother - but it's possible that Starflight is a traitor in their midst. The series continues...

Clay, Tsunami, Glory, and Sunny are all likeable protagonists, Clay and Tsunami especially. They've been protected, but treated more like tools than people; they are exceedingly loyal to each other, but less familiar with their own dragon cultures. There is a lot of violence, both dragon-on-dragon and dragon-vs-scavenger (the dragons' word for humans).

See also The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

Textbook "Save the Cat!" structure!

Quotes

What if the dragonets could escape, and survive, and save the world...their own way? (11)

He wished he were big enough to be brave and brave enough to be big. He'd never wanted anything so much as he wanted to protect his friends... (35)

...what could five dragonets do to save a world this big? (97)

"I want to be who I want to be, not who I have to be." (Clay to Peril, 139)

"I'd like to be something more than alive. I'd like to be the kind of dragon she doesn't think I am - the kind they write prophecies about." (Clay, 241)

"Who do you think won?"
"Who won? Nobody. No one could look at this place and think, 'hooray, we won.' They just couldn't." (Tsunami and Sunny, 272) ( )
  JennyArch | Feb 24, 2021 |
I picked this up because after the Arenson books, which were trying so hard to be grimdark, I wanted something light and fun that was still dragons. This YA fantasy novel seemed to fit the bill.

Its the first book of a series, and while its not Sutherland's first published book by a mile, it has the feel of a first book. Its a little clunky, a little graceless, a little on the nose. But it sports a large cast, most of whom has developed relationships with each other. The dialogue feels mostly natural, although the 'voices' of the characters and their word choices will immediately make you think of middle schoolers, not young dragons.

I was surprised at the violence. I'm not against it by any means, but wasn't expecting it from a YA novel geared for its age level. We have suicide, burning to death, torture, gladiatorial combat, acid burning faces and eyes out, just as examples. Overall I thought the violence was realistic and maturely handled and the main characters felt genuinely threatened.

I wanted a little bit more worldbuilding, and the ending with Clay made sense for his character arc, but didn't feel like a natural part of the plot, so the ending felt a bit dragging. ( )
  kaitlynn_g | Dec 13, 2020 |
*may contain spoilers*
Overview

The dragonet prophecy is about seven dragonets that have to stop a war but before that the talons of peace have locked them in a cave so they won’t die before they can fulfil their destiny

My opinion

My favourite part of the book was when peril was fighting in the arena and winning and when glory spits at queen scarlet
And wining

Recommendation

I would recommend this book for ages 8 to 24, it is entertaining and has some twists and very nerve racking at every turn of the page
added by KingstonPrimary | edit..., anounimus (Nov 12, 2019)

Tui T. Sutherlandprimary authorall editionscalculated
McManus, ShannonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A dragon was trying to hide in the storm.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,963,042 books! | Top bar: Always visible