The Courage to Be by Paul Tillich

The Courage to Be (1952)

by Paul Tillich

Series: Fontana Library, theology and philosophy

This is difficult to read but worth it; it is philosophy that has the power to transform, to help understand the human condition, and to overcome fear. ( )
  bufsemlibrary | Apr 25, 2017 |
Penetrating insight from an incredibly sharp mind. Demanding use of high-level language. Superb assessment of man's 3 inherent states of anxiety, two inherent dilemmas and the spiritual solution as best as we can hope for. ( )
  johnkuypers | Jul 3, 2012 |
In his introduction Gomes does give some warning as to the depth of content. I decided almost immediately that there were two courses of action open to me. The first, to read page by page, paragraph by paragraph, indeed often sentence by sentence, weighing and considering as I went: a course which would take a long time and may get me bogged down, or to read through and to try and get an overall perspective. I decided on the latter course, not I have to say, entirely without some backtracking and re-reading. This technique to a degree has worked, but the truth is that although I can now value something of the panorama I have missed much of the detail. Still, not an unproductive process, for everything newly discovered is a gain. Nevertheless, sticking with the image of appreciating the wider picture, whilst not appreciating much of the detail, I would have to admit that what I’ve come to appreciate, in terms of the panorama, is still only a very rough sketch. I therefore, have it in mind to read ‘The essential Tillich: an anthology of the writings of Paul Tillich’ and I hope this will give me more background and perhaps a broader picture that will allow me, at some stage, perhaps to revisit The Courage To Be. Finally, Gomes claims that though Tillich was, ‘well known and appreciated within the specialized world of theology and philosophy’, with the publication of this book he, ‘burst upon the wider cultural scene and became something of an American intellectual celebrity’. I wonder how coffee tables it adorned or whether it was actually read, and if read fully understood? Another review make a sharp observation when he writes, ‘this is faith for people all too conscious of their education and their culture.’ Having said this, there are jewels which have helped me greatly. ( )
1 vote carpenterdj | Jul 20, 2010 |
The potted history of thought we have here doesn't work and the readings of Kierkegaard and others are heavy handed. I'm still not sure that anything serious is meant by the phrase, "the courage to be". The thinking seems to tread a narrow patch of ground. This is faith for people all too conscious of their education and their Kultur.
Nevertheless, something grabbed me in the closing pages. When he talks about "the God above God", he gives some sense of the disruptive force of the true theophany - the God who comes to us when doubt has done us in. ( )
  Duncan72 | May 27, 2010 |
Heavy duty philosophy/theology. Rather tiring to follow as each phrase needs to be translated into lower level, human consumable format. But its worth it. This German Theologian, teaching in the US, just like an existentialist argued for the power of choice. That is the only but the truest power we humans have. And the “ultimate concern”, whatever we make our ultimate goal, related to the courage to chose life. to chose living to full potential, not hiding form ourselves or from others. The source for this kind of courage for him cannot come from humans or form God, only form “the God above God.” But this is just the conclusion of his reasoning. In the process to get there he dissects wisdom, death, mysticism, fear, meaning, guilt and provides an overview of the history of courage concept itself.
1 vote break | Feb 7, 2010 |

Paul Tillichprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sardelli, GiuseppeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Rene

Yale University Press

2 editions of this book were published by Yale University Press.

Editions: 0300084714, 0300002416

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,040,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible