The Courage to Be by Paul Tillich

The Courage to Be (original 1952; edition 2000)

by Paul Tillich (Author)

Member:Jeffsul
Title:The Courage to Be
Authors:Paul Tillich (Author)
Info:Yale University Press (2000), Edition: 2nd Revised edition, 238 pages
Collections:Your library, Kitchener
Rating:****1/2

The Courage to Be by Paul Tillich (1952)

This is a powerful and deep book about issues facing modern man. The opening section discusses the nature of courage and includes references to philosophers from Plato and the stoics to Nietzsche. Further sections dissect the impact of anxiety on culture. He continues with a discussion of individualization and concludes with a move toward transcendence..
"One praises that in which a being fulfills it potentialities or actualizes its perfections." (p 4) ( )
1 vote jwhenderson | Aug 19, 2017 |
This is difficult to read but worth it; it is philosophy that has the power to transform, to help understand the human condition, and to overcome fear. ( )
1 vote bufsemlibrary | Apr 25, 2017 |
Penetrating insight from an incredibly sharp mind. Demanding use of high-level language. Superb assessment of man's 3 inherent states of anxiety, two inherent dilemmas and the spiritual solution as best as we can hope for. ( )
1 vote johnkuypers | Jul 3, 2012 |
In his introduction Gomes does give some warning as to the depth of content. I decided almost immediately that there were two courses of action open to me. The first, to read page by page, paragraph by paragraph, indeed often sentence by sentence, weighing and considering as I went: a course which would take a long time and may get me bogged down, or to read through and to try and get an overall perspective. I decided on the latter course, not I have to say, entirely without some backtracking and re-reading. This technique to a degree has worked, but the truth is that although I can now value something of the panorama I have missed much of the detail. Still, not an unproductive process, for everything newly discovered is a gain. Nevertheless, sticking with the image of appreciating the wider picture, whilst not appreciating much of the detail, I would have to admit that what I’ve come to appreciate, in terms of the panorama, is still only a very rough sketch. I therefore, have it in mind to read ‘The essential Tillich: an anthology of the writings of Paul Tillich’ and I hope this will give me more background and perhaps a broader picture that will allow me, at some stage, perhaps to revisit The Courage To Be. Finally, Gomes claims that though Tillich was, ‘well known and appreciated within the specialized world of theology and philosophy’, with the publication of this book he, ‘burst upon the wider cultural scene and became something of an American intellectual celebrity’. I wonder how coffee tables it adorned or whether it was actually read, and if read fully understood? Another review make a sharp observation when he writes, ‘this is faith for people all too conscious of their education and their culture.’ Having said this, there are jewels which have helped me greatly. ( )
1 vote carpenterdj | Jul 20, 2010 |
The potted history of thought we have here doesn't work and the readings of Kierkegaard and others are heavy handed. I'm still not sure that anything serious is meant by the phrase, "the courage to be". The thinking seems to tread a narrow patch of ground. This is faith for people all too conscious of their education and their Kultur.
Nevertheless, something grabbed me in the closing pages. When he talks about "the God above God", he gives some sense of the disruptive force of the true theophany - the God who comes to us when doubt has done us in. ( )
  Duncan72 | May 27, 2010 |

Paul Tillichprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sardelli, GiuseppeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Rene

Originally published more than fifty years ago, The Courage to Be has become a classic of twentieth-century religious and philosophical thought. The great Christian existentialist thinker Paul Tillich describes the dilemma of modern man and points a way to the conquest of the problem of anxiety. This edition includes a new introduction by Harvey Cox that situates the book within the theological conversation into which it first appeared and conveys its continued relevance in the current century.… (more)

Yale University Press

2 editions of this book were published by Yale University Press.

Editions: 0300084714, 0300002416

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,565,455 books! | Top bar: Always visible