Edgar Allan Poe's Pie: Math Puzzlers in…

Edgar Allan Poe's Pie: Math Puzzlers in Classic Poems (edition 2015)

by J. Patrick Lewis (Author), Michael Slack (Illustrator)

Borrows themes from famous poems and flips them on their head to create humorous verses and riddles in a collection of math-based problem-solving parodies.
Member:cmruddy
Title:Edgar Allan Poe's Pie: Math Puzzlers in Classic Poems
Authors:J. Patrick Lewis (Author)
Other authors:Michael Slack (Illustrator)
Info:HMH Books for Young Readers (2015), 40 pages
Tags:AR 5.4

Edgar Allan Poe's Pie: Math Puzzlers in Classic Poems by J. Patrick Lewis

This book took my breath away when I first read it. This book is amazing; each page is focused on one particular poet and has math in each one. Some poems are in the style of each poets style and the illustration is amazing. It's so cute! The book is for older ages, and finding the math in the poems can be tricky. Some poems have equations put in the poems for you to find and solve. My favorite book involving math right now. ( )
  kmt070 | Sep 11, 2020 |
This was a charming book that I enjoyed. The author takes Edgar Allen Poe's classics and puts a fun, less scary spin to each poem. The illustrations still stay true to Poe's classics, such as the crow on the cover, but the math problems and rhymes are so fun and suitable for a younger reader. The colors and pictures are bright and fun, which, in my opinion, is very important because it not only engages the reader but makes them feel more comfortable with the book. ( )
  KaylaCrescioni | May 3, 2020 |
Edgar Allan Poe's classic poems are recreated into a combination of math puzzles, brainteasers, and fun poetry. There are rhyme and limerick found throughout this book. The illustrations in this book come to life with vibrant colors and funny looking animals and people. This book would be great to use in a math classroom. Let's make math fun again! ( )
  KRWallace | Oct 23, 2019 |
This book is a very informational book and with all the poems and pictures this book has alot of puzzles and math problems for the students to solve. ( )
  noorkazmi | Apr 25, 2019 |
This book takes well-known poems and changes them into riddles that contain brain teasers. All of the poems are inspired by a specific poem, so they relate to what the poet was telling in their original poem. I rated this book grades 5-8 because I think the majority of 3rd graders would have a hard time solving the riddle. The math problems are not said outright, so the students have to decipher the poem and figure out what the math problem is and the answer that goes along with it. This book absolutely engages student's curiosity and the poems are not forced and flow naturally. This book would be a great took to teach students mathematics as well as poetry. Students could go through one poem a day as a warm-up and I think all students would enjoy it. ( )
  oleger | Apr 18, 2019 |

J. Patrick Lewisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Slack, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,759,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible