Vote for ME! by Ben Clanton

Vote for ME!

by Ben Clanton

Funny story about an election between a donkey and an elephant!
  asthepageturns | Jun 13, 2019 |
Vote for Me by Ben Clanton is a fiction children’s book about voting. This book is written in second person format as the two main characters, Donkey and Elephant, beg the reader to vote for them in the upcoming election. Throughout the illustrations you see a mouse observing the two and their infantile attacks against one another. Little does everyone know that the mouse is actually running independently and slyly wins the election. This book is would be perfect for kindergarteners maybe early first grade because it doesn’t teach directly teach students about voting. I do like the author picks fun at elections and how ruthless they can be, but for students, I think it teaches how to treat one another even during competitive times. ( )
  agreenwald | Mar 24, 2019 |
Author/illustrator Ben Clanton explores the world of American party politics in this amusing picture-book, as Donkey and Elephant - the symbols of the Democratic and Republican Parties - square off against one another. Each one contends that they are the better candidate, and that the voter should choose them. Soon their championing of their own virtues leads to mudslinging, and pointing out their opponent's vices. Unbeknownst to them, however, a third party has gotten involved...

Simple enough for a young picture-book audience to understand - children may not know about the electoral college, but they know ALL about name-calling, after all! - but clever enough to entertain adult readers - I think we'll all recognize these behaviors - Vote for Me! is an excellent introduction to the nature of party politics and electioneering in the USA, pitfalls and all. I enjoyed the narrative, which I found quite amusing, and thought the artwork captured the humor of the story perfectly. Clanton has managed to distill some home truths about our political system here, presenting them in an entertaining way. Recommended to anyone looking for fun picture-books to explains American party politics and elections to younger children. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jan 12, 2018 |
Very good addition to a lesson plan about politics and political parties for young children. It even hints at third parties something a lot of people are still not aware of. This book made me laugh thinking about this year's race for election and I think anyone will find some funny events within the book that relate to some we seen in real life. ( )
  maturne2 | Dec 1, 2016 |
This book is great when teaching young children about political parties. The author of course uses the actual representative animals as the candidates/characters of this book. The two characters are continuously arguing back and forth about what they will do if voted and how they are better than the other. This exposes children to the political nature of voting, parties, and debates. This story is easy to follow and always holds a lot of valuable, basic overview about elections. ( )
  imasson | Nov 24, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 155453822X, Hardcover)

Hey, you! Yes, you with the dazzling smile! The donkey wants your vote. So does the elephant. And each will do just about anything to win your support. Brag? Sure! Flatter? Absolutely! Exaggerate, name-call, make silly promises and generally act childish? Yes, yes, yes and yes. Soon, the tension mounts, and these two quarrelsome candidates resort to slinging mud (literally) and flinging insults. And what happens when the election results are in? Well, let's just say the donkey and the elephant are in for a little surprise -- and a certain bewhiskered, third-party candidate is in for a first term. Vote for Me! is a timely satire of American politics, but it's a story readers of all nationalities and ages will recognize. Comical, retro illustrations (in shades of blue and red, of course) are completely winning, and the duelling duo's insult-laden exchanges promise to have readers laughing out loud.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:31 -0400)

A satire of American politics finds a donkey and an elephant resorting to just about anything to garner votes, and after all the mud-slinging is done and the votes are tallied, they are both quite surprised by the results.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,558,038 books! | Top bar: Always visible