dismiss

The Angry Tide: A Novel of Cornwall,…

The Angry Tide: A Novel of Cornwall, 1798-1799 (Poldark Book 7) (original 1977; edition 2018)

by Winston Graham (Author)

"Cornwall, 1798-1799. Ross Poldark sits for the borough of Truro as Member of Parliament--his time divided between London and Cornwall, his heart divided about his wife, Demelza. His old feud with George Warleggan still flares--as does the illicit love between Morwenna and Drake, Demelza's brother. Before the new century dawns, George and Ross will be drawn together by a loss greater than their rivalry--and Morwenna and Drake by a tragedy that brings them hope ..."--Page 4 of cover.… (more)
Member:aerobama
Title:The Angry Tide: A Novel of Cornwall, 1798-1799 (Poldark Book 7)
Authors:Winston Graham (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2018), 628 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:kdr, historical fiction, Cornwall, Poldark Saga, England, Great Britain, 18th century, family saga

The Angry Tide by Winston Graham (1977)

This is my least favorite book in the Poldark series so far. The story takes on a soap opera-like theme, which I found to be offputting. ( )
  This-n-That | Mar 5, 2018 |
Warning: This review contains spoilers

****

This book contains a great deal of turbulent emotion that rages like the gale toward the end. Ross and Demelza hope to have a good time in London, but Demelza encounters a slimeball named Monk Adderly, who pays her attentions that are depressingly relevant to the 21st century (right down to the idea of Demelza feeling she needs to placate him in order to fit in to society and to prevent anything worse from happening). This leads to a duel and some troublesome fallout. The nasty “reverend” Osborne Whitworth finally gets his just deserts, leaving Morwenna and Drake to potentially get back together. But after her experience with Osborne, Morwenna is reluctant to marry again…And the turmoil in the Warleggan clan is far too much to go into here. Suffice it to say that several jaws were dropped around these parts.

In an interesting bit of intertextuality, I read this shortly after reading Peter Ackroyd’s Revolution, which covers English history from the mid-1600s to 1815, and some of the issues raised in Parliament, as well as some of the characters, were familiar from those pages.

Overall I enjoyed this book very much. It could be argued that the storylines are a bit soapy, and I would assert that Osborne’s extracurricular activities did not need to be described in any detail whatsoever, but the pages flew by. Will have to find out soon who this stranger from the sea is. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Nov 17, 2017 |
It took me a year to find this book in a used bookstore. I wondered if this book would have the same feel as the previous six. I needn't have worried.

I pick up right where I left off. The series of novels read like a soap opera and Graham's characters grow wonderfully under his pen. Some blossom and others are throttled emotionally. No spoilers but issues in the previous novel are resolved while other issues come to the front.

A very satisfying read ( )
  Lynxear | Oct 10, 2017 |
One of the better books in the Poldark series, The Angry Tide highlights the anger issues of Ross, and George, and their families. The author isn't writing a common melodrama, but gives the reader fascinating introspection into the characters, in a non-boring, intriguing manner. I've upped my rating to 4 1/2 stars because of the excellent deeper looks into the psyche of the usual players. ( )
  fuzzi | Jul 20, 2017 |
In this seventh entry in the Poldark series, Ross begins to adjust to life as an MP, he and Demelza work to figure out where their marriage stands in the wake of Hugh Armitage's death, and Ross continues to feud via proxies with George Warleggan. In addition a major shake up in Morwenna Whitworth's life has ramifications for Drake Carne, Caroline and Dwight suffer a heartbreaking loss, and George and Elizabeth continue to grapple with George's insecurities and the effect they have on their marriage. All while an upstart named Buonaparte is shaking things up on the continent.

There are a lot of things going on in this novel but it felt like not much happened in the first half and I was dragging myself through reading it. Of course, as is typical with the Poldark novels, once things kick off they suck you in and make for compelling reading. While I predicted the big final event of the novel based on the blurb on the back cover, there were still several plot developments I didn't see coming. As always, I remain thoroughly invested in the lives of these characters and will continue to work my way through the remaining books. ( )
  MickyFine | Apr 14, 2017 |
For Jean
It was windy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,752,450 books! | Top bar: Always visible