Spy School

by Stuart Gibbs

Series: Spy School (1)

Twelve-year-old Ben Ripley leaves his public middle school to attend the CIA's highly secretive Espionage Academy, which everyone is told is an elite science school.

Little bit too cutesy for my taste although I though the premise was good. ( )
  fionaanne | Nov 11, 2021 |
Fun book for kids. I'm exploring this series for my nephew. Think he'll like this. ( )
  xKayx | Dec 14, 2020 |
Ben Ripley is at home, minding his own business, when he gets a visit from a man named Alexander Hale from the CIA. He tells Ben that he'll be going to spy school to hone his craft because of his promising skills. Ben can’t quite figure out how the CIA knows anything about him, but he knows he's exceptionally good with numbers, so he packs his bags and heads to his new school. Who wouldn’t be excited about attending a special school for the coolest of the cool? As soon as Ben gets there he finds the school being sabotaged by enemies with weapons, and he instantly needs to learn how to protect himself. Thank goodness he runs into Erica, who proves to be an amazing spy trained in more ways than Ben can even imagine. When he finds out Alexander Hale wasn’t completely honest with him and learns that his life is in danger, he'll have some tough decisions to make. Will Ben stay at spy school? Why was he selected for such a special school? Who can he trust? One thing is for sure, life just became a whole lot more dangerous. Read this intriguing book to find out what is going on!

Spy School by Stuart Gibbs was the first book I've read by this author, and I thought it was great. I would recommend this book to kids between the ages of nine and thirteen. It has a few bad words that might be a problem for some people (just a warning). I liked trying to figure out who Ben should trust and who he should stay away from. Lots of clues to piece together! It's always fun to try to solve a mystery! Adventure and action can be found on every page, so it's a wonderful book to keep kids reading. I learned a lot about being a spy and it is way more way work than I realized! I look forward to reading Spy Camp. ( )
1 vote Robinsonstef | Jul 10, 2019 |
Stuart Gibbs is a favorite among middle grade kids. He writes crime stories with a sarcastically humorous main character. In this case it's Ben Ripley. He's been selected for a clandestine spy school for kids. Ben doesn't know why he's been chosen. He's told that he has a talent for code breaking. Thinking this is going to be a great adventure, he accepts his admission offer.

He quickly realizes that spy classes are not as exciting as he thought they would be. On top of that he's almost killed by an assassin in the middle of the night. He's starting to think this whole spy school thing was a big mistake. But then the most beautiful girl he's ever seen, who also happens to be descended from American Revolution spy Nathan Hale, is on the case. She's a pro and has a knack for showing up just when Ben needs saving.

Gibbs does his classic white rabbit thing of sending you off in all kinds of directions, misleading you, distracting you, making you think you know who the bad guy is and what it's all about when really you have no clue. Lots of adventure in all his books. This one doesn't have the weird setting that makes [b: Space Case|1113919|Space Case|Edward Marshall|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1348626200s/1113919.jpg|1100915] and [b: Belly Up|37858194|Belly Up|Rita Bullwinkel|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1515446680s/37858194.jpg|59559586] more original, so I knocked off a star. My enjoyment wasn't quite as high. It's a personal preference. Still a must have for all middle grade libraries. ( )
1 vote valorrmac | Sep 21, 2018 |
The storyline is really fun. An average 12-year-old boy is selected to go to Spy School, which is pretty cool. And, like all schools, this one has all the great characters you’d expect to meet, bullies and all. But, when his life is suddenly placed in danger, things get crazy and all kinds of drama and adventures unfold.

What I liked: Great story line! The characters are intriguing and realistic, especially the main character, who thinks it’d be really cool to be a spy and get the girl, but finds out pretty fast that it comes with a lot of danger as well. And, anytime you have an ordinary kid thrown into extraordinary situations you have a great plot.

What I did not like: This novel would probably get a much higher rating, but one thing really bothered me about the book…it has curse words. I wouldn’t mind as much if they were used in context of heightened emotion (ie–he gets super mad and a curse word slips out), but they are thrown in so casually that they took me by surprise each time, enough to pull me out of the story, and that’s bad. The author could’ve easily told the story without them. That’s fine for YA, but not for middle grade.

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars ( )
1 vote AlbaArango | Nov 30, 2017 |

Stuart Gibbsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Frazier, GibsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,594,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible