A Thousand Suns by Alex Scarrow

A Thousand Suns (original 2006; edition 2008)

by Alex Scarrow

Off the coast of New England, a trawler tangles its nets on wreckage from 60 years ago - a B17 'flying fortress', perfectly preserved and containing the final and most terrifying secrets of WWII. Freelance photographer Chris Roland soon realises that these secrets might just end up killing him.
Member:dspoon
Title:A Thousand Suns
Authors:Alex Scarrow
Info:Orion Publishing (2008), Paperback, 496 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Military

A Thousand Suns by Alex Scarrow (2006)

Having read Scarrow's previos novel and really enjoyed it I was very much looking forward to this. I have to say I was a little bit disappointed. The first 150 or so pages focus on the present day, and the discovery of a WW2 bomber by a fisherman and then the exploration of the wreck by a photojournalist. I found it very difficult to get into the story at this point and was on the point of giving up. I ploughed on and was rewarded with an excellent second half set in WW2 Germany and telling the story of the pilot and his crew whose daring voyage might have won Hitler the war. If the entire book had focussed on the part of the story set during the war and the author hadn't bothered to create the second plot thread during the present day then 5 stars would have been a fair score. ( )
  cathymoore | Sep 21, 2011 |
It's early April of 1945 and the bloodied days of World War II. The Nazi regime is being slowly throttled by the oncoming Russian and Allied armies and Hitler rages uselessly in his Berlin bunker. But the high command have one more throw of the dice to make. An audacious plan is hatched to save the Fatherland and beat off the oncoming apocalypse. All it will take is a hodge-podge squadron of escort fighters, a captured U.S. bomber, and one brave but suicidal pilot to fly it over the Atlantic into the beating heart of America. Half a century later, a rusting plane is discovered, sunk with its crew, off the coast of New York—a relic from a bygone age. Chris Roland, a brilliant young photographer, is sent to take photos of this time capsule. But it is only when he discovers that the fragments of Nazi uniforms on the decaying corpses that he realizes that he has come across a secret so terrible that even 50 years later it could still kill him. ( )
  dspoon | Jun 6, 2010 |
'On April 29th, 1945, the allies unconditionally surrendered to Nazi Germany. Four hours later that surrender was withdrawn...'

It was the above tagline that made me pick up the book, and it was such a good purchase. It had been a long time since I was unable to put a book down until I'd finished it, but had to do it in this case. Absolutely brilliant idea, really well executed. Thoroughly recommended. ( )
  MiloTheDog | Mar 23, 2010 |
Alex Scarrow is becoming one of my favourite authors, this was a fantastic page turner and I can't wait to keep on discovering more of his work. ( )
  MissDotty | Sep 29, 2009 |
Information from the Portuguese (Portugal) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,744,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible