Dark Triumph

by Robin LaFevers

Series: His Fair Assassin (2)

"Sybella's duty as Death's assassin in 15th-century France forces her return home to the personal hell that she had finally escaped. Love and romance, history and magic, vengeance and salvation converge in this sequel to Grave Mercy"--

I went into this book thinking that the protagonist was Ismae from the first book in the series. She is not. (FYI I listened to it)
The ending had some surprises but was a bit predictable. ( )
  Sunandsand | Apr 30, 2022 |
Not as fun as the first one. I already complained that these are romance novels more than anything else, and romance just isn't my genre. ( )
  leahsusan | Mar 26, 2022 |
Great continuation of the series, not as much political intrigue as grave mercy but I know some didnt like that. I enjoyed learning about Sybella's past and there is definitely a lot of action. Now just have to wait for the final book of the trilogy... ( )
  fellanta13 | Feb 14, 2022 |
I put off reading this second book for years, because I didn't care for the allusions made in the first book that Sybella, the MC of this story, had a dark past involving parental sexual abuse. But I really wanted to read the third book, and I can't stand reading out of order, so I sucked it up.

The allusions were not misdirection; Sybella's background is full of abuse and cruelty, and the author walks a fine line in terms of incest, stopping short by the strictest definition, if not the spirit of it. Either way, it's distasteful and unpleasant; I'd have enjoyed the story more had it not spent so much time on the setup and background.

Once Sybella commits to her mission to rescue the Beast of Waroch from her family's dungeons, the story improves, as does the pacing. There's a Deus-ette ex machina in Sybella's unexpected connection to The Beast that I'm not sure was really necessary, though it didn't really affect the plotting one way or the other.

Generally, not as good as the first book, but an engrossing read nevertheless. I appreciated the author's note at the end outlining that while the story itself was whole cloth fiction, the events and many of the characters were historically accurate, though she owns to compressing the timeline for dramatic purposes. If I can read and be entertained, and learn a bit about the Duchess Anne of Brittany at the same time, all the better.

I read this for a Halloween Square - Paint it Black. ( )
  murderbydeath | Jan 20, 2022 |
After reading the first book in the trilogy, and enjoying it immensely, I had planned to skip the second because I found the character of Sybella so singularly unlikeable. But the library had Dark Triumph available as an ebook download and my curiosity won out. Thankfully.

Learning Sybella's backstory made her into a fleshed-out character and her interactions with the Beast of Waroch made her almost endearing. The story's political intrigues were insufficiently recapped from the first volume but pacing and action, not to mention romantic subplot, left little to be desired. ( )
  fionaanne | Nov 11, 2021 |

LaFevers, Robinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Goethals, AngelaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my own patron saints:

Nancy Warner, for patching me back together time and again so I could leap once more into the fray;

Erin Murphy, who sometimes saw this story more clearly than I did;

Kate O’Sullivan, for her unwavering support and enthusiasm;

and Mary Hershey, for creating a safe place where we could have all the hard and scary conversations.
I did not arrive at the convent of Saint Mortain some green stripling

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,503,938 books! | Top bar: Always visible