Wicked Nights

by Gena Showalter

Series: Angels of the Dark (1)

Zacharel, the leader of a powerful angelic army, lets nothing stand in his way of his anti-demon missions until he rescues Annabelle Miller from an institution for the criminally insane and from the demons who long to possess her.
    Heat of the Night by Sylvia Day (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: Alpha male? check. Damaged, but strong woman? check. Hot, quick love match? check.

This was a good one. I liked the balance in the angel hero, not a fallen angel, but not entirely a goody-two-shoes either. And the heroine was damaged, but tough as well. They went on an interesting journey together, and seemed to be well matched and good for each other. I enjoyed it and am quite pleased with the end result. ( )
  JorgeousJotts | Dec 3, 2021 |
I haven’t read much of Gena Showalter’s work and I was super pleased with this one. The premise is very cool with demons and angels as a more fundamental species than we typically see them in stories. There’s more to them than pretty wings and being ‘good’ I guess is what I’d say. If you’re a reader who has trouble reading about mental health, mental health institutions, or sexual assault, parts of this story will be touchy for you. It isn’t so graphic as to create a barrier to enjoyment but it blends and lends to the story as a whole.

The characters are good - they could have some more development as the series continues and that would only add to what was written in this book. The female protagonist isn’t a DID and I appreciate it, she simply needs a little more help to accomplish the goal she’s already set. She proves her capability often and with gusto. Having an FP who can handle herself and make smart decisions with limited resources or limited information is refreshing. The male protagonist isn’t the unreachable traumatic bad boy she has to ‘turn good’ either. Yeah, he’s got issues for an angelic entity but it is reasonable once it’s revealed. I appreciated the issues the female protagonist went through and how she’s survived them. This shows readers that these sorts of life events, as bad or traumatic as they are, can be processed. Understandably, this is fiction and the way they are processed isn’t available to all. The MP has responsibilities related to his job and position which lend to his attitude, the way he interacts with the FP or others, and creates something for him to overcome himself rather than relying on the FP to be the only catalyst. He must reach a certain conclusion from his experiences and though the FP is central to that, it is clear he could have come to the realization without her as well; it didn’t hinge on them meeting. The chemistry between the two is dynamic. Showalter makes it clear the MP is interested and wants the FP from the meet cute. The relationship comes together like clockwork in the story as readers expect.

The story, again, was good. There was a catastrophic opening event that put the female protagonist in a deplorable situation she learned to survive and was dealing with the best her limited resources allowed her to. The male protagonist is set up clearly with stakes already in place that aren’t so over the top you roll your eyes. The relationship between the two isn’t exactly frenemies to lovers but it also is in a way; I wouldn’t call it enemies to lovers at all because they aren’t on the opposite sides of a situation or pitted against each other in the same situation even. They develop over the course of the book [which you know will be a HEA] through scenarios logical to the rest of the plot itself. Is the sex good? The scenes are not what I’d call overly steamy. They are sexy and Showalter does a good job of providing enough description to give the reader a clear picture of what’s happening and the basic feelings of each character as they experience it. These are not scenes with lots of graphic description but are well written.

The writing was also very good. I can see why so many people enjoy and recommend Gena Showalter’s books. There are very creative intricacies added to make the story escapist and romantic but also some very real and believable instances so the reader will find a bit of themselves in the story. It is all fantastical, clearly with angels and demons acting in the particular way they do, but still it makes sense. The pacing was even for me. I didn’t find it was moving slowly or quickly at any point. I would have liked more action or more investigation to add to when knowledge was attained by outside sources as it might have added even more to the story.

Overall, I liked this book and will continue with the series.

*All thoughts and opinions are my own. This book was read using my own KU subscription.* ( )
  The_Literary_Jedi | Jun 11, 2021 |
~ 4.5 Wicked Nights Stars ~

Wicked Nights is book one in the Angels of the Dark series by Gena Showalter. This series is a spin-off of the Lords of the Underworld series.

This is a re-read for me and I loved it all over again. I am a fan of Showalter and love her writing, characters, and world-building.

Wicked Nights is a FANTASTIC start to this new series. Annabelle and Zacharel I adored them. Zacharel is a virgin. And Annabelle is a woman who has had a tough life, but she still fights. Her spunk and fiery spirit made her fun, unique, and a great heroine to read about. Zacharel is more serious, so when the two get together we get some hilarious dialogue. The romance is not at all hot and heavy, these two have a lot to work through before they become intimate, but it is well worth the wait.

I love the world Showalter has created and how she brings in characters from the other series. We are given a group of warrior Angels who are about to be kicked out of heaven and have one year to redeem themselves. The Angels themselves are fascinating to learn about, even the individual ones in the army that we are introduced too. It’s a great cast of Angels. We also get a peek at seeing some of the Lords of the Underworld. (Fan girl moment!) And as for the ending we get a little twist at the end. I enjoy a good twist.

Wicked Nights is a PHENOMENAL start to Another Hit Series by Showalter. Fantastic world-building and interesting characters with a unique plot. If you have not tried Gena Showalter I highly recommended you do.

angelsgp | May 14, 2021 |
Interesting book. I had always wondered about Zacharael after meeting him in the LOTU series. I've read other reviews lamenting about lack of heat between the main The Winged Wonder and Annabelle but it fits.
Now to learn more about the warriors under his command and what their individual stories are. ( )
  ChachaJ | Feb 1, 2021 |
Another amazing series by Gena Showalter. I've read a lot of books about angels and demons and fallen angels and I think this one falls into the top 3. I've always been obsessed with angels and all supernatural beings and this was a dream come true for me. Also the romance and love between Annabel and Zacharel was beautiful and made me once again dream of my prince charming. I also like how the series are interwinding with the Lord of the Underworld series as it is one of my favourite series. All in all, I loved this book and I cannot wait to start reading the next installation to the series. ( )
  AllAndAnyBooks | Sep 17, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,351,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible