The Mysteries of Glass by Sue Gee

The Mysteries of Glass (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Sue Gee (Author)

It's the winter of 1860 when Richard Allen, a young curate, travels to a small hamlet outside Hereford to take up his first position. It's in this quiet place of wind and tress, birds and water that Richard is to fall passionately in love--but he cannot find fulfillment, for his lover is Susannah Beddoes, the wife of the vicar of his new parish.… (more)
Member:MyOwnWorld
Title:The Mysteries of Glass
Authors:Sue Gee (Author)
Info:Headline Review (2005), Edition: 1st Paperback Printing, 352 pages

The Mysteries of Glass by Sue Gee (2004)

The fact that this is very well-written makes up for its being a particular sort of book which I'm not reading much at the moment, viz. a serious book where people fall in love and are all torn. It's set in a corner of Herefordshire which is beautifully described without crossing over into purple prose. Well done Sue Gee! Though it occurs to me that there's a gap in the market for a novel where the church wardens are nice people. ( )
  annesadleir | Feb 14, 2011 |
I listened to this book on audio. The voice (I don't know the name, unfortunately) was perfect. I can still hear it in my head. The story was wonderful. In a nutshell, 1860s England. A young curate leaves home for the first time for a job near Herfordshire as the assistant to the pastor at the local church, and there are well-written descriptions of everyday life and also the excitement of small-town life as well as the prejudices that existed then and the class system. The book is slow-moving, but that is not a criticism at all. The slow pace allows the reader to come to fully know the characters and also to place themselves in that time period. Absolutely loved it and would definitely recommend the audio version. ( )
  CatieN | Aug 20, 2010 |
It’s the winter of 1860. Following the death of his father, the young Richard Allen takes his first position as curate in an isolated Herefordshire parish. At first Richard is eager to do well in his new post – but then he falls in love and finds that his faith is put to the test.

The Mysteries of Glass was nominated for an Orange Prize back in 2005 and I can see why, because Sue Gee’s writing is beautiful. I have rarely read a book with such a strong sense of time and place. The book is set in an isolated village in 19th century England and the rural Victorian setting felt entirely believable.

The opening chapters perfectly evoked a winter atmosphere. Although I was reading this book in July, I could still picture the cold, wintry landscape, the snowy fields, the frozen paths leading to Richard Allen’s lonely house, the skating party on the lake. Later in the book, as time passed, I could feel the temperatures rise and the seasons change.

Unfortunately, I had one or two problems with this book. I found it very, very slow – I had to force myself to read at a slower pace than I normally would because I felt I was starting to skim over the words without really absorbing them. After the first few chapters, in which very little actually seemed to happen, I had to make a decision whether or not to continue reading. I was glad that I persevered with it, though. I don’t like abandoning books and this one was so well written and had such a haunting, dreamlike atmosphere that I really wanted to love it.

The characters were realistic and well-drawn, from Alice Birley, the crossing-keeper's solemn little girl to Edith Clare, the mysterious woman who lives in the woods. However, I thought some of the characters who were potentially the most interesting were very underused, such as Richard’s strong, hot-tempered sister Verity.

Another problem I had was that the religious aspects of the book were a bit too much for me. Knowing that the story was about a curate, I was prepared for this to some extent but I wasn’t really expecting the church scenes to be quite so dominant. If you don’t like that type of thing, you should be aware that it forms a very large part of the book and that the central theme of the story is the portrayal of a man’s inner turmoil as he tries to reconcile his feelings and emotions with his faith and his belief in God.

If this book sounds as if it might interest you at all, then please do give it a try as I definitely seem to be in the minority! The Mysteries of Glass wasn’t a bad book by any means – it didn’t appeal to me but maybe it will appeal to you. ( )
  SheReadsNovels | Aug 14, 2010 |
Full of mistakes eg. swallows flying to Africa - this was not known until 100 years later!
Could have been so much better. I would not read another book by this author. ( )
  Alirob | May 25, 2009 |
I loved it! Beautifully written - gentle, slow, full of love for the countryside and an altogether slower way of life in Victorian times. It reads like a kinder cousin of Thomas Hardy - similar in the themes and integral role of the natural world, but not so grindingly miserable and grim. The ending was a joy - I had to re-read the last 2 chapters just to savour it all over again. I thought I knew where it was all heading but she pulled it round wonderfully. ( )
  samsheep | Apr 9, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,933,916 books! | Top bar: Always visible