dismiss

The Future is Japanese

by Nick Mamatas (Editor), Masumi Washington (Editor)

Other authors: Pat Cadigan (Contributor), Toh EnJoe (Contributor), TOBI Hirotaka (Contributor), Project Itoh (Contributor), Hideyuki Kikuchi (Contributor)8 more, Ken Liu (Contributor), David Moles (Contributor), Issui Ogawa (Contributor), Felicity Savage (Contributor), Ekaterina Sedia (Contributor), Bruce Sterling (Contributor), Rachel Swirsky (Contributor), Catherynne M. Valente (Contributor)

Original and classic science fiction about Japan from some of the greatest writers in the world. A web browser that threatens to conquer the world. The longest, loneliest railroad on Earth. A North Korean nuke hitting Tokyo, a hollow asteroid full of automated rice paddies, and a specialist in breaking up “virtual” marriages. And yes, giant robots. These thirteen stories from and about the Land of the Rising Sun run the gamut from fantasy to cyberpunk, and will leave you knowing that the future is Japanese! Contributors: -Pat Cadigan -Toh EnJoe -Project Itoh -Hideyuki Kikuchi -Ken Liu -David Moles -Issui Ogawa -Felicity Savage -Ekaterina Sedia -Bruce Sterling -Rachel Swirsky -TOBI Hirotaka -Catherynne M. Valente… (more)

Outsiders butt in
bureaucrats or time pirates
no one wants you there. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
This is beautiful story about living life in the face of death. The reason for only 3 stars is that because of the theme and knowledge of predominant tropes the ending was obvious long before we reached it. [2013 Hugo Nominee Reading] ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Even though it is a very short read, this is INTENSE! ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 7, 2018 |
A collection of short stories by Japanese authors or about Japan. Short story collections by various authors is always a bit of a mixed bag and this is no exception. Most of the stories were at the very least interesting, with a couple that I really enjoyed and only two that I didn't enjoy at all. Overall I enjoyed most of the stories enough to recommend the book.
It's hard to review each story without giving things away so I'm just going to give my overall impression of each one.

1. Mono no Aware actually made me tear up even though I saw the ending coming.

2. The Sound of Breaking up was intriguing but lost me at the end with a rather surprise convoluted twist that didn't have enough time to play out properly.
3. Chitai Heiki Koronbin was basically a giant mech story with a vague ending that left me unsatisfied.
4. The Indifference Engine was uncomfortable and powerful and left me unsettled. One of the strongest stories in the book.
5. The Sea of Trees feels more like magical realism, I loved the melancholy atmosphere and really cared about how the characters ended up in the end.
6. Endoastronomy, I did not get that one at all. I found it to confusing to even dislike it.
7. In Plain Sight had one of the stronger stories and beginnings but ended rather abruptly and was quite unsatisfying. I would be interested in reading a whole book set in this world though, I suspect the short story format worked against it here.
8. Golden Bread , I liked this one, it has an interesting world and while I wouldn’t mind a whole book set here I don't feel like it was needed, one of the most complete feeling stories in the book.
9. One Breath, One Stroke, I've read this one before and I really like it though it is hard to explain, it feels more like reading expanded poetry than a short story. Very weird, very mystical and very beautiful.
10. Whale Meat. The most I can say about this one is it was well written and quite readable though it didn't effect me strongly one way or another.
11. Mountain People, Ocean People. Another one of the more complete feeling stories, this could also make an interesting novel length story though it isn't really needed.
12. Goddess of Mercy, the only story I couldn't finish. It made no sense to me and wasn't interesting enough to struggle through.
13. Autogenic Dreaming: Interview with the Columns of Clouds. An interesting idea that for me didn't end up working out well, it was confusing and I never got the point of it all. ( )
  Kellswitch | Jun 21, 2015 |
My favorite reading during vacation time has been collections of short stories (of course mostly science fiction). For my last birthday I got 'The Future is Japanese', a collection of science fiction stories involving Japan. The book is published by Haikasoru, an imprint dedicated to bringing (translated) Japanese science fiction, fantasy and horror to English-speaking/reading readers.
The collection contained stories by Japanese authors or about Japan (or Japanese people). Like the story about a ship carrying the last thousand or so survivors from a destroyed earth, including one Japanese man, the last person from Japan. Or the story about teenagers fighting something out in certain zones in great big mechs. And the great story "The Indifference Engine" about a solution to clan violence in Africa that isn't as perfect as it seems from the outside.
The collection is great, having a great mix between Japanese writers and Western writers. The difference between them is obvious, but the book never makes me wish it was all Japanese (and in that more philosophical) or all Western (and in that with more action). What I dislike most about short stories is them being just an episode in a longer story. Most of these are complete as a story and are great to read. Four out of five stars. ( )
  divinenanny | Dec 31, 2013 |

Sterling, BruceContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Swirsky, RachelContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Valente, Catherynne M.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Shimizu, YukoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,863,951 books! | Top bar: Always visible