The Throwback by Tom Sharpe

The Throwback (1978)

by Tom Sharpe

English (8)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (10)
Northumbrian Humour: "The Throwback" by Tom Sharpe Far, far away, in a distant magical land where only Sharpe’s books existed....

Manuel and Ana were entering the room.

"Hay Ana" said Manuel
Ana was looking unhappy though.
"Bad news Manuel. We are broke"
"Hu? But after our last adventure we were rich"
"Yes, but after paying the taxes we are broke. In fact, we owe money now because taxes are high for rich people"
"Ow. Darn it. What will we do?" said Manuel to Ana.
"We need to make a lot of money to pay off the taxes; if we don't, our palace in which we live will be repossessed!"
Just then, the TV which was on all this time changed to a news announcement.
"And the world Killing People championship final starts tomorrow. Aside from the coveted trophy, the prize this year will include 2 million euros...In other news, a war is on..."
Ana shut the TV off.

If you're into reviews written as fiction, read on. ( )
  antao | Dec 10, 2016 |
One of the funniest books I've ever read. Contains a brilliant idea for dealing with the IRS, and you will never ever look at a cheese-grater the same way again. ( )
  Tonestaple | May 3, 2015 |
Lockheart Flawse exposes the suburban foibles of his tennants in Sandicott Close. Terrified out of their wits, one by one they beat a hasty retreat and Lockheart's dream of escaping hated East Pursley, and his 12 rent-controlled houses comes a step closer.
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
Bâtard de son état, le jeune Lockhart Flawse a reçu de son grand-père une étrange éducation. Capable de lire l'Ancien Testament en ourdou, de réciter ses tables en latin, il est, à dix-huit ans, totalement ignorant des choses du sexe. Aussi, lorsqu'il tombe amoureux, sa vie se transforme-t-elle en une farce cocasse. Pour Evelyne Pieiller (Le Magazine littéraire) : ' Tom Sharpe est un affreux. Un Pied Nickelé punky, tendance iroquois, qui serait né du mariage contre nature d'une Jane Austen dopée à la bière brassée maison et de toute la bande des Monty Python en état de crise. Il est teigneux ; obsédé, épouvantablement grossier, c'est peu de dire qu'il ne respecte rien. Evidemment, il ne fait pas dans la dentelle, ni même dans l'arsenic. Son genre de cinéma, ce serait plutôt... Massacre à la tronçonneuse. '
  PierreYvesMERCIER | Feb 19, 2012 |
I remember this being achingly funny when I read it in the early 80s. Not sure why it wasn't so funny this time.
  marfita | Mar 7, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,830,251 books! | Top bar: Always visible