Stormdancer (The Lotus War Book One) by Jay…

Stormdancer (The Lotus War Book One) (edition 2012)

by Jay Kristoff

Member:terriko
Title:Stormdancer (The Lotus War Book One)
Authors:Jay Kristoff
Info:Thomas Dunne Books (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages

Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff

Eight Million Gods by Wen Spencer (binarydude)
    binarydude: If you like the Japanese culture and mythology (yes, anime counts) this book might interest you ;)
    Soulless by Gail Carriger (binarydude)
    God Save the Queen by Kate Locke (binarydude)
    Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld (pwaites)

STORMDANCER was an amazing steampunk fantasy set in an alternate world Japan. It is a land controlled by a despot Shogun. Our heroine is Kitsuna Yukiko. Her father is the hunter for the Shogun. The Shogun commands her father to find the legendary arashitora - storm tiger - because he has seen himself riding it in a vision wherein her finally defeats the gaijin armies.

Yukiko's father does not believe that there are any living arashitora but can't refuse to do the Shogun's bidding or he will be killed. When the find one, capture it, and clip its wings, they plan to bring it back to the Shogun but the storm ruins the air ship. Yukiko has the ability to talk to animals which happens to be an ability that will get her burned at the stake if Guildmen find out about it. When the ship goes down, she stays aboard to let the storm tiger out of its cage. They manage to fly down to the ground but are separated from the rest of their party.

Journeying together help Yukiko and the storm tiger she names Buruu have to band together to survive. They also become friends. When they run into rebels against the shogunate, Yukiko decides that she will assassinate the shogun to get revenge for all that he has cost her. She finds that there is a substantial underground of rebels who will help her.

This was an interesting story partially because of the Japanese setting but also because of the worldbuilding. The country is in danger of polluting itself to death because of the dependence on the blood lotus crop. While the blood lotus provides everything from medicine, to drugs, to fuels for the technology, it also kills the land where it grows requiring more and more land being devoted to its cultivation. Its processing pollutes the air and the water and causes cancers. People who can afford it wear sophisticated goggles and breathing equipment. The poor wear cloth masks and die of lung cancers.

The rebels want to stop the production of the blood lotus. Buruu also wants to get rid of the blood lotus. He wouldn't really mind if all the humans were eleminated too. At least, he felt that way until he fell in love with Yukiko.

This story is epic fantasy and begins a three book series. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jul 20, 2016 |
This is probably a must-read for all Anime and Manga fans out there. You'll definitely recognize the feel of it. Not to mention it'd be really helpful to already understand what a yokai and oni are, as well as any number of other recognizable Japanese words (clothing items, ranks, weaponry, etc).

I basically enjoyed it after a really slow start. I enjoyed Yukiko and Buruu, as well as some of the side characters. I probably could have done without the teenage romance, but this is a YA book so I don't know that I can really complain about it.

Like so many YA books it is essentially an allegory. Shima's Chi dependence mirroring the modern world's dependence on oil and it's destructive self-perpetuation. The maniac Shogun could easily be the greedy 1% crushing the common man, while placating him with lies and base entertainments.

All in all, well worth picking up. ( )
  SadieSForsythe | Feb 24, 2016 |
This was a solid read. I will most certainly continue with the series.
Demons, mythic creatures, Japanese swordplay... All wrapped up in steampunk version of feudal Japan. ( )
  beertraveler | Feb 5, 2016 |
At first I was overwhelmed with the world building the foreign terms, it was a bit daunting. Yes, there is a dictionary at the end but I did not know this and muddled through just fine. After about page 70 the story fired it's rockets and there was no looking back. Action, adventure, and intrigue galore. I was in love, this book was a mix of manga/movie Princess Mononoke and The Tarian Soul series, to me. The characters drew me in and had me cheering, tearing, or wishing for their deaths. Were there flaws ? Of course, but I enjoyed the ride and that's what reading is all about for me. This was a fun, escape from reality read. I can't wait for the second book in this series. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
"Stormdancer" is a great mix of dystopia, steampunk and fantasy. It has a strong plot, a fascinating Japanese culture and a variety of interesting characters. The prologue grabbed me from the start, but the next seventy or so pages were torturous. I was just about to give up but then the hunters finally caught the thunder tiger and the action, suspense and intrigue really started, making the book difficult to put down. With a strong female protagonist and a storyline full of adventure, love and betrayal, civil unrest, mythical creatures and a dying world, I am looking forward to reading the sequel. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |

Jay Kristoffprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chan, JasonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Amanda, My life, my love, my first and only reason
As the iron war club scythed toward her head, Yukiko couldn't help wishing she'd listened to her father.

Arashitora,
his friend Yukiko kill the
Shogun of Shima.
(passion4reading)
Blood lotus is the
life blood of Shima, but it
poisons land, sea, air.
(passion4reading)

In this dystopian steampunk fantasy set against a backdrop of feudal Japan, warrior Yukiko captures a supposedly extinct (but crippled) griffin for the Shogun, then learns -- after meeting secretive Kin and the rebel Kage cabal -- of the horrifying extent of the Shogun's crimes, both against her country and her family. Returning to the city, Yukiko is determined to make the Shogun pay -- but what can one girl and a flightless griffin do against the might of an empire?… (more)

84 wanted2 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,495,513 books! | Top bar: Always visible