Stormdancer (The Lotus War Book One) by Jay…

Stormdancer (The Lotus War Book One) (edition 2012)

by Jay Kristoff

Member:terriko
Title:Stormdancer (The Lotus War Book One)
Authors:Jay Kristoff
Info:Thomas Dunne Books (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages

Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff

This is probably a must-read for all Anime and Manga fans out there. You'll definitely recognize the feel of it. Not to mention it'd be really helpful to already understand what a yokai and oni are, as well as any number of other recognizable Japanese words (clothing items, ranks, weaponry, etc).

I basically enjoyed it after a really slow start. I enjoyed Yukiko and Buruu, as well as some of the side characters. I probably could have done without the teenage romance, but this is a YA book so I don't know that I can really complain about it.

Like so many YA books it is essentially an allegory. Shima's Chi dependence mirroring the modern world's dependence on oil and it's destructive self-perpetuation. The maniac Shogun could easily be the greedy 1% crushing the common man, while placating him with lies and base entertainments.

All in all, well worth picking up. ( )
  SadieSForsythe | Feb 24, 2016 |
This was a solid read. I will most certainly continue with the series.
Demons, mythic creatures, Japanese swordplay... All wrapped up in steampunk version of feudal Japan. ( )
  beertraveler | Feb 5, 2016 |
At first I was overwhelmed with the world building the foreign terms, it was a bit daunting. Yes, there is a dictionary at the end but I did not know this and muddled through just fine. After about page 70 the story fired it's rockets and there was no looking back. Action, adventure, and intrigue galore. I was in love, this book was a mix of manga/movie Princess Mononoke and The Tarian Soul series, to me. The characters drew me in and had me cheering, tearing, or wishing for their deaths. Were there flaws ? Of course, but I enjoyed the ride and that's what reading is all about for me. This was a fun, escape from reality read. I can't wait for the second book in this series. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
"Stormdancer" is a great mix of dystopia, steampunk and fantasy. It has a strong plot, a fascinating Japanese culture and a variety of interesting characters. The prologue grabbed me from the start, but the next seventy or so pages were torturous. I was just about to give up but then the hunters finally caught the thunder tiger and the action, suspense and intrigue really started, making the book difficult to put down. With a strong female protagonist and a storyline full of adventure, love and betrayal, civil unrest, mythical creatures and a dying world, I am looking forward to reading the sequel. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
Yukiko is a teenage girl, living at the palace of the Shogun Yoritomo while her father works for him. They are sent to capture a griffin on the whim of Yoritomo. Most people don’t believe griffins exist but some are certain they have seen one in the mountains far north of the filthy, red-smogged Kigen City. To travel there, they have to take a sky-ship and travel for many days.

The plot is thoroughly entertaining, with intrigue, battles, a most unique city, and shaky loyalties. The pace is quick. It isn’t predictable at all, so it gets high marks from me for that. I definitely recommend this book!

I like the exciting adventures in the forests:

Sailing skyward, the length of cable fell short of Yukiko’s grasp again. She wailed in frustration. Gray, scaled talons stretched out and seized hold of the hook; a clumsy fist, still smeared with trout blood. Buruu growled and snapped the wire up into his beak, heaving with all his strength. Kin was screaming and slapping the flames spreading across his body as two tons of muscle hauled him out of the trap…Buruu spread his wings for balance and backed away, cable and claws cutting into moist earth as the boy emerged flaming at the lip of the pit.

I also like the touch of steampunk added to this tale:

Yukiko beat the fire with soaking branches, and between the rain and bursts of strange white foam from valves at the suit’s collar, the flames soon died.
Kin gasped, his throat and face charred. Yukiko clubbed at the jammed emergency release with the hilt of her tantō until she heard a dull, metallic snap. Clockwork seals grudgingly unwound, the atmos-suit peeled open, heated metal steaming in the rain.

My favorite character by far has to be Buruu, the griffin-like arashitora whom the current Shogun wishes to be captured. Buruu can communicate with Yukiko telepathically, something that would bring death to Yukiko if anyone finds out. As a huge, beautiful bird/tiger, he has tremendous strength and of course he can fly.

With the fast pace of the book, I feel that not enough time is spent on the relationships between people. Consequently, decisions that are made by the characters sometimes seem hasty. That’s not to say that relationships aren’t clear, its just that I would have liked to have spent a little more time getting to know them. I’ll hopefully get that chance in the next book!

Stormdancer is a great story of adventure and a pretty amazing debut novel. The first in a planned trilogy, I look forward to picking up the next installment.

Well done, Jay Kristoff!
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |

Jay Kristoffprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chan, JasonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Amanda, My life, my love, my first and only reason
As the iron war club scythed toward her head, Yukiko couldn't help wishing she'd listened to her father.

Arashitora,
his friend Yukiko kill the
Shogun of Shima.
(passion4reading)
Blood lotus is the
life blood of Shima, but it
poisons land, sea, air.
(passion4reading)

In this dystopian steampunk fantasy set against a backdrop of feudal Japan, warrior Yukiko captures a supposedly extinct (but crippled) griffin for the Shogun, then learns -- after meeting secretive Kin and the rebel Kage cabal -- of the horrifying extent of the Shogun's crimes, both against her country and her family. Returning to the city, Yukiko is determined to make the Shogun pay -- but what can one girl and a flightless griffin do against the might of an empire?… (more)

98 wanted2 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 1,775 books! | Top bar: Always visible