Krampus: The Yule Lord by Brom

Krampus: The Yule Lord (edition 2015)

by Brom (Author)

When he stumbles upon a magical bag that belongs to Krampus, the Lord of Yule and the dark enemy of Santa Claus, struggling songwriter Jesse gets an unexpected chance to save his daughter and his own broken dreams, and return magic to Boone County, West Virginia.
Member:pholbrook17
Title:Krampus: The Yule Lord
Authors:Brom (Author)
Info:Harper Voyager (2015), Edition: Illustrated, 368 pages
Collections:Audible

Work Information

Krampus: The Yule Lord by Brom

Thoroughly enjoyed this book. If you are interested in learning more about the Krampus myth, and also want to read an entertaining story, this is the book for you. Yule, mistletoe, decorating trees, etc. - all things we are accustomed to at Christmas time. How many of us know or have even wondered where these traditions come from. Brom gives insights into these traditions and the two main characters associated with them - Santa Claus and Krampus. Are they partners, friends, enemies? Are they working together? He comes up with answers to these questions and more. ( )
  Nefersw | Jan 14, 2022 |
Not the tale of terror I expected, but there’s still much to like about this book, not least of all the drawings by Brom, artist and author. I didn’t find the pace terribly fast, and I questioned Jesse’s patience/impatience, which seemed erratic, even though Krampus doesn’t give him much choice. In short, I would have liked the book to be a little more emotional, both in the feelings portrayed and what it invokes, but for anyone who likes the darker side of Christmas tales, this is easily deserving to be identified as classic. ( )
  SharonMariaBidwell | Dec 31, 2021 |
Not in the mood for this right now. Santa as Odin and vicious just isn't working for me. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |
I picked this up at the library, hoping to find some holiday themed horror to read this year. What I got wasn't horror, but a beautiful, fantastical romp that frankly taught me a lot about myth and tradition.

The book itself is honestly such a fun read. The illustrations are absolutely beautiful (although, frankly, slightly sexy Santa was a bit unsettling - just sayin'), and the writing fits the tale perfectly.

Another Goodreads review (written by Greg in 2012) describes it perfectly, so I hope he'll forgive me borrowing his phrase: "It's hillbilly noir crossed with Pan's Labyrinth". The story is a little bit redneck, a little bit white trash, and a whole lot of weird, and it all adds up to create this amazing thing that you don't even really know what to do with.

It's difficult to know who is a "good guy" and who is a "bad guy" (with some exceptions), and that only adds to the fun of this book. I fell in love with Krampus a little bit reading this book, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a fun seasonal read. ( )
  kiaweathersby | Sep 16, 2020 |
An entertaining read that sets mythological creatures in the modern world. Krampus, Lord of Yule vs Santa Claus.... and "Santa's Sack".

ElentarriLT | Mar 24, 2020 |
This one is for my wife and favorite Yultide pixie, Laurielee
Santa Claus... How vile your name upon my tongue.

(from the back of the book) One Christmas Eve in a small hollow in Boone County, West Virginia, a failed songwriter named Jesse witnesses a strange spectacle: seven thugs cloaked in black attacking a man in a red suit with a sleigh.  When Jesse steps in to help, the mysterious figures disappear, leaving behind a large sack - a magical bag that will plunge the down-on-his luck songwriter into a thrilling adventure.  The bag turns out to be the property of Krampus, the ancient trickster demon who punishes the wicked - and Jesse's new master, who will teach him things about the man in red he didn't know, including how a half a millennium ago the cherry-cheeked jolly old saint imprisoned Krampus and usurped his magic.  But Santa's time is running out, for the former Yule Lord is determined to destroy his enemy and reclaim his holiday.  Now, Jesse has the chance to save his daughter and his own broken dreams... and return wild magic to all the impoverished folk of Boone County.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,316,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible