Ansel Adams: Our National Parks by William…

Ansel Adams: Our National Parks (edition 1992)

by William A. Turnage (Editor)

In the century since the establishment of the world's first national park at Yellowstone, no individual has rivaled Ansel Adams in his unceasing effort--through both his photographs and writings--to support the philosophical essence and practical evolution of the "national park idea". Here are his greatest images of more than 40 national parks and monuments. 78 duotones.… (more)
Member:PolarisLibrary3
Title:Ansel Adams: Our National Parks
Authors:William A. Turnage
Info:Little, Brown and Company (1992), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 128 pages

Work Information

Ansel Adams: Our National Parks by William A. Turnage (Editor)

What a beautiful collection of photographs! Many of these were popular shots, but I also enjoyed seeing ones I hadn't seen before (or remembered, anyway). Seeing this book made me want to return to Yellowstone and Grand Teton, and to see many national parks that I've missed. ( )
  dukefan86 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Adams the wilderness champion; illustrated.

Most people know Ansel Adams’ iconic photographs of gorgeous natural scenery in US national parks. But Adams’ passion for national parks went farther than documentation. He was also a forceful advocate who spoke and wrote in defense of preserving wilderness in national parks. This small gem pulls together familiar Adams images of national parks with his writing, both formal and informal, on national parks especially his most beloved Yosemite.

Adams’ most significant contribution to conservation was popularizing the concept of wilderness as spiritual retreat; a concept that demands we protect wilderness from too much human use, too much human carelessness, and even too much human love. This is where this book offers something enlightening and became more than just another pretty compilation of Adams’ photos. The images illustrate the places his words seek to describe, defend, and protect within the historical context of the national parks system formation and development at critical junctures.

The images are smaller scale than we are used to seeing them; however, they are sharp high-quality reproductions. This is not a comprehensive treatment of Adams’ views or a complete compilation of his writing. The selections in this book introduce his views to new readers and remind those, like me, who may have overlooked it that Adams was a serious conservationist. ( )
  WildMaggie | Sep 24, 2008 |
This book brings together a selection of Ansel Adams' photographs of 40 different National Parks and National Monuments in the United States, taken in the 1930s, 40s and 50s. Each large photograph is accompanied by a quotation from Adam's letters, speeches and journal writings about the importance of the park system. Interesting both for the beautiful art photography and for the historical perspective on conservation and stewardship of America's natural landscape. ( )
  tripleblessings | Oct 6, 2007 |

Turnage, William A.Editorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Adams, AnselAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Stillman, Andrea G.Editormain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,314,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible