Wallflower in Bloom by Claire Cook

Wallflower in Bloom

by Claire Cook

Ms. Cook, you've done it again! I love your stories and characters. This is a fun storyline and I want to be BFFs with Diedre.
I recommend you check this out ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
A fun book to read about a woman who works for her new -age guru, famous brother as his media, events planner who has no life of her own and zero self esteem. Plus her brother treats like dirt. It's about family relationships like with your parents and your siblings.The novel is filled with expressions or chiasmus, self depraction humor from Diedre herself. ( )
  Smits | Oct 24, 2017 |
I’ve read and enjoyed chick lit. This isn’t one of those chick lit books.

Deirdre Gibson is the personal assistant and social media genius behind her older brother, Tag’s, rise to fame and fortune as a new-age guru. She is unsure, lacks confidence, and is certain that any guy who shows interest in her must be just trying to get to her brother. When her brother interferes once too often in her personal life, she abruptly quits and in a vodka-fueled stroke of inspiration starts an internet campaign to get her voted onto Dancing With the Stars (where, of course, the producers agree, just to get her brother to come on the show).

There is nothing likeable about these characters. Deirdre is obsessed with how fat and unattractive she is, and what mess she’s made of her “non-life.” Frankly, she’s right. She’s about 33 and riding her brother’s coattails. I wanted to shake some sense into her and tell her to grow up. Her brother isn’t much better, speaking in ridiculous platitudes and trying always to be the center of attention. Their sibling rivalry and dialogue is what I’d expect from 9-year-olds. A usual scene consists of his backhanded insult and her responding with “I know you are, but what am I?” Seriously … I’m not making that up; that is really what the dialogue is like in this book. Oh, and did I mention Cook’s penchant for dividing a sentence into individual words for emphasis. Drove. Me. Absolutely. Crazy! The “crisis” that leads to her epiphany is ridiculous and the ending is saccharine. Blech!
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
As usual, Claire Cook know how to make you laugh in “Wallflower in Bloom”! I listened to the audio version read by Cassandra Campbell which I love as well – so perfect for the part.

Love the way Claire always has her strong women characters inventing themselves and the wonderful journey along the way, full of obstacles and stepping stones. The sense of humor in all her books make them fun to read or to listen to and inspires you to be your best!

Bringing in DWTS was so cool, as Deirdre has lived in the shadows of her famous brother Tag, and uses social media to get her the spot on the famous show. You will be delighted with this one, as all of Cook’s funny tales and full of adventure!
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
Good entertainment and good story. The only thing I didn't like was the way the brothers and sisters spoke to each other like they were still 10 years old. That part wasn't cute or funny, as it probably was intended. It was just not believable and a little odd. Besides that it's a very entertaining story and I liked it. ( )
  lisa875 | Jun 26, 2012 |

The story of a woman who emerges from the shadow of her overbearing family and finds herself voted on as a last-minute replacement on "Dancing with the Stars."

Claire Cook is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,903,772 books! | Top bar: Always visible