A Study in Scarlet (1887)

by Arthur Conan Doyle

Series: Sherlock Holmes (1)

6,0822461,218 (3.87)3 / 433
A tired and battle scarred surgeon returns to London after being wounded in the third Afghan war. After his money starts to run low, a chance encounter leads him to take a flat with an eccentric man at 221B Baker Street. Thus begins the famous crime-solving partnership of the Holmes and Watson duo.
    The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (haraldo)
    The Sign of the Four by Arthur Conan Doyle (haraldo, TheEclecticBookworm)
    The Valley of Fear by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (haraldo)
    Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey (TineOliver)
    TineOliver: Both books deal with views on Mormonism by outsiders at the beginning of the 20th Century. This recommendation is only for those who are interested in this aspect as the novels cover different genres.
    A Study in Emerald {short story} by Neil Gaiman (mysimas)
    Slippery Creatures by KJ Charles (mysimas)
    mysimas: Vaguely Holmes/Watson dynamics but gay and somewhat more action-y. Also has bookshops instead of mormons

English (224)  Spanish (8)  French (4)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Hebrew (1)  Dutch (1)  Greek (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (244)
Part 1: 4 stars
Part 2: 2 stars
Averaged out at a 3-star rating for me. I didn’t need the backstory, but I would have much fathered more time spent with Holmes and Watson. It was a short and fun read overall though! ( )
  Lindsayshodgson | May 6, 2021 |
Series Info/Source: This is the first book in the Sherlock Holmes series. I bought a copy of this for my Kindle.

Story (5/5): I was very surprised by how much I enjoyed this. The story is clever and ironic. I loved all the twists and turns and how Sherlock is kind of competing with some other investigators. I also love how we got to break away from the main story into a side story set in America that showed how everything happened. It was all very clever and fun and really withstood the test of time.

Characters (5/5): The characters are quirky and crazy and definitely a bit part of what makes this book so enjoyable. Sherlock is just such a unique character and I found him incredibly amusing. Watson is just as intriguing, with his more steady support.

Setting (5/5): The book alternates between a historical London setting (1880’s) and frontier life America. They were both well done; well described and very entertaining to read about.

Writing Style (5/5): I was amazed by how well this book stands the test of time. This never seemed dated to me and I didn’t struggle through any of the language. I read it thinking how funny, witty, and ironic the whole thing was. I loved the characters and the mystery and the unveiling. It was just thoroughly enjoyable and I can’t wait to read more!

My Summary (5/5): Overall I enjoyed this way more than I thought I was going to. I have been wanting to read all the Sherlock Holmes stories forever and am so glad I finally started. This was so entertaining and so much fun, highly recommended. I have always loved how Sherlock is portrayed in other media and was pleased to love the original source material so much! ( )
  krau0098 | Mar 24, 2021 |
It was this story that got me interested in Sherlock Holmes in the first place. I've read it over a couple of times over the years and I am still quite fond of it. ( )
  TCLinrow | Mar 17, 2021 |
  TCLinrow | Mar 17, 2021 |
I can see why Sherlock Holmes immediately became a detective sensation, since this first story (which introduces the main cast of characters) is nothing less than superb. Readers are told the story from the point of the view of Dr Watson, who spends as much time establishing characters as narrating the murder plot. Doyle did well to choose Watson as the storyteller because he provides a buffer between the mind of Holmes (which would have been overwhelming in detail) while retaining a sense of close connection to the story. Watson doesn't have a lot going on due to his health so he is able to provide a relatively unbiased view of the events while maintaining a sense of wonder and excitement about these adventures and discoveries. ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |

Inspired

Has as a study

[None]
[None]
In the year 1878 I took my degree of Doctor of Medicine of the University of London, and proceeded to Netley to go through the course prescribed for surgeons in the Army.
There is no satisfaction in vengeance unless the offender has time to realize who it is that strikes him, and why retribution has come upon him.
This is the complete original work A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle, and should not be combined with collections, adaptations, abridgements, etc.

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140439080, 0141034335, 0241952891

Tantor Media

3 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100836, 1400109418, 1400115132

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,744,517 books! | Top bar: Always visible