Golden Domes and Silver Lanterns: A Muslim…

Golden Domes and Silver Lanterns: A Muslim Book of Colors

by Hena Khan

Other authors: Mehrdokht Amini (Illustrator)

Golden Domes and Silver Lanterns is a beautiful book of colors. Told in rhyming couplets, each color is related to something in the Muslim faith. ( )
  adrouet | May 3, 2019 |
I really enjoyed this book for several reasons. One, the illustrator used beautiful paper-like material and colored pencil styled for the pictures throughout the book that engaged me in the reading as well as helped me to understand the text better. For example, each page had the focal point on one side with the whole scene on the other, making it clear what the text was describing. All the illustrations contain a texture that makes the reader feel as though they are right there in the story due to it looking realistic. Another reason I liked this book is that it is informative about important aspects in the Muslim culture, yet engaging for a reader because there is some rhyming in the text and the illustrations draw you into the story. For example, it begins with “Red is the rug Dad kneels on to pray, facing toward Mecca, five times a day,” with pray and day rhyming and the whole page displaying a deep red and intricate gold, orange, and yellow pattern of a prayer rug. Finally, the end of the book contains a glossary of all the important words that were on each page with more detail. The book itself does well in explaining the words in the text they give, but if a reader needs to know more to understand, it is available in the back of the book in alphabetical order. ( )
  mbirdw1 | Mar 12, 2019 |
In my opinion, this is a great book. I enjoyed this book because I liked the culture that was included throughout the text. For example the association with the Muslim culture items to colors, “Red is the rug my Dad kneels on to pray, facing towards Mecca, five times a day.” I also liked it because every page rhymes. “Black is the ink I use to draw the Arabic letters that spell Allah.” The big picture of this book is the way to associate colors with different items throughout one's culture. ( )
  jennkosakowski | Feb 19, 2019 |
I enjoyed the book a lot. I liked the book for two reasons. The first reason was I really liked how the author used the book as a way to teach about objects in the Arabic culture. For example, she was describing a blue hijab that the girls mom likes to wear "It's a scarf she uses it to cover her hair". The second reason I liked this book was because it has a glossary in the back for the Arabic words used throughout the book. For example, in the glossary "Allah" means god. The message or lesson of this book is to help teach children about the Arabic culture. ( )
  JessieAnderson | Feb 18, 2019 |
Golden Domes and Silver Lanterns shares the Muslim culture through gorgeous illustrations and prose. It is a great book to share with preschoolers and early elementary school age and gives nice jumping off points for conversation about religion, Islam, and color concepts. The illustrations make the book a great one to explore several times over. Make sure to check out other books by the author and illustrator -- they have a companion book about shapes. ( )
  eo206 | Dec 5, 2018 |

Hena Khanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Amini, MehrdokhtIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Magnificently capturing the colorful world of Islam for the youngest readers, this breathtaking and informative picture book celebrates Islam's beauty and traditions. From a red prayer rug to a blue hijab, everyday colors are given special meaning as young readers learn about clothing, food, and other important elements of Islamic culture, with a young Muslim girl as a guide. Sure to inspire questions and observations about world religions and cultures, Golden Domes and Silver Lanterns is equally at home in a classroom reading circle as it is being read to a child on a parent's lap.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:26 -0400)

In simple rhyming text a young Muslim girl and her family guide the reader through the traditions and colors of Islam.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,582,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible