Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon

Telegraph Avenue (2012)

by Michael Chabon

Recently added byAdathJeshurun, Erina39, NCDbookworm, mschlack, girlpowermch, private library

English (76)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (78)
Please read review by John Lulz below - he said everything I would have - and said it better than I could have. ( )
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
It had its moment but was ultimately bogged down with verbiage and extraneous detail. Too bad. ( )
  amuskopf | Jun 7, 2018 |
I really want to watch Season 3 of the cable TV show this should have been. I mean this sincerely. I think it would have been fantastic. I love Chabon's writing, his warm, humane characterizations, his robust, organic settings... if only the plotting were a bit more focused for this one.

Don't get me wrong, this is a good book. If a contemporary saga of black and white culture mingle in Berkley/Oakland, with dusty vinyl stores and has-been Blaxploitation movie stars, and kooky old musicians, and infidelity, and babies, and secrets, etc., sounds good to you? Read it!

I just had very high expectations stemming from Chabon's glorious Kavalier & Clay. And when I read that Telegraph Avenue was reworked from a TV series pilot script, it made so much sense. You can see how the multi-threaded storyline and bumper-car character interaction would have worked beautifully over several TV seasons. As a novel, it suffers a bit from being really neither a tightly plotted drama, nor quite an epic, portrait-of-a-whole-town type of thing.

It was good, but I can't help thinking it would have been a stellar TV show. ( )
  Chamblyman | May 20, 2018 |

Chamblyman | May 19, 2018 |
I abandoned this book after about eighty pages, when Chabon's glib, too-clever-by-half narration got to be too much. I was hoping for an effort like his enjoyably riotous Yiddish Policemen's Union, but Telegraph Avenue--a locale I knew well as a Temescal mail carrier back in the day--was more like his first book, The Mysteries of Pittsburgh, which I also gave up on in disgust. ( )
  copyedit52 | Oct 15, 2017 |
“Telegraph Avenue,” Michael Chabon’s rich, comic new novel, is a homage to an actual place: the boulevard in Northern California where Oakland — historically an African-American city — aligns with Berkeley, whose bourgeois white inhabitants are, as one character puts it, “liable to invest all their hope of heaven in the taste of an egg laid in the backyard by a heritage-breed chicken.” The novel is equally a tribute to the cinematic style of Quentin Tarantino, whose films its characters study and discuss, and whose preoccupations pepper its pages: kung fu, cinematic allusions and the blaxploitation films of the 1970s; and an interest in African-American characters and experience. Chabon and Tarantino make an unlikely duo; while the latter’s films tend toward gaudy eruptions of violence, Chabon bends Tarantino’s sensibility to a warmhearted novel about fatherhood in which the onstage violence consists of two graphic childbirth scenes and a 15-year-old boy whacking a chubby thug with a wooden sword. A self-help book in the style of Andrei Tarkovsky would be hardly more oxymoronic.

Mr. Chabon has constructed an amazingly rich, emotionally detailed story that addresses his perennial themes — about fathers and sons, husbands and wives, and the consolations of art — while reaching outward to explore the relationship between time past and time present, the weight (or lightness, as the case may be) of history, and the possibility of redemption and forgiveness.

Chabon, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Peters, ClarkeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Call me Ishmael.

--Ishmael Reed, probably.
To Ayelet, from the drop of the needle to the innermost groove
A white boy rode flatfoot on a skateboard, towed along, hand to shoulder, by a black boy pedaling a brakeless fixed-gear bike.
Like a dog in a cartoon, forepaws a turbine blur as he hunted up a buried bone in a churn of dirt, Nat excavated the cabinets and ransacked the drawers looking for usable serving containers and suitable platters.

One street in Oakland, California. As the summer draws to a close, Archy Stallings and Nat Jaffe are hanging in there, co-regents of Brokeland Records. Their wives, Gwen and Aviva, are the Berkeley Birth Partners, a pair of legendary midwives.

When former star quarterback Gibson Goode announces plans to dump his latest Dogpile megastore on Telegraph Avenue, Nat and Archy fear the worst for their vulnerable little enterprise, as behind Goode’s proposal lurks a nefarious scheme.

While their husbands struggle to mount a defence, Aviva and Gwen find themselves caught up in a professional battle that tests their friendship. And into their already tangled lives comes Titus Joyner, the teenage son Archy has never acknowledged.

In this novel the author takes us to Telegraph Avenue. It is a story that explores the profoundly intertwined lives of two Oakland, California families, one black and one white. Here he creates a world grounded in pop culture: Kung Fu, 1970s Blaxploitation films, vinyl LPs, jazz and soul music, and an epic of friendship, race, and secret histories. Longtime band mates Archy and Nat preside over Brokeland Records, a used-record emporium. All is well until a former NFL quarterback, one of the country's richest African Americans, decides to build his latest Dogpile megastore on nearby Telegraph Avenue. Not only could this spell doom for the little shop and its cross-race, cross-class dream, but it opens up past history regarding Archy's untethered dad and a Black Panther-era crime.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,801,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible