Six of One: A Tudor Riff by JoAnn Spears

Six of One: A Tudor Riff

by JoAnn Spears

"Six of One" is the ultimate 'girls' night in'-with the six wives of Henry VIII. It's the most fun you can have with your nightdress on! Join Dolly, the Tudor-obsessed heroine of "Six of One", on a Yellow Brick Road journey to the alternate reality of an all-girl Tudor court. It all begins when Dolly loses consciousness on the eve of her marriage to the six-times-divorced Harry. She awakens in the company of the Tudor women she's studied all of her life. Team Tudor has a mission to accomplish, and Dolly may be just the girl who can help them do it. Dolly warms up for her interview with the six shades of Henry in practice rounds with lots of the other famous ladies of Tudor times. In-laws, outlaws, matriarchs, frenemies, and household help are all on hand to help out and add to the factoids and fun.Of course the heart of the story is in Dolly's interview with the six wives of Henry VIII. It turns out there's something to each of the wives' stories that's been held back all this time. You won't believe what really happened...or will you? "Six of One" offers no tragedy, no excuses, and no apologies. It does have lots of broad humor, not to mention tons of puns. And-for a change-a happy ending. "The novel is an enthusiastic, well-researched, fictional account of what happened to the infamous wives of Henry VIII." Kirkus Indie Review"A fun, rather irreverent, entertaining spoof...A wonderful read when you need a bit of light relief." Claire Ridgway, 'Anne Boleyn Files'"...such a fun ride!...The book will have you laughing and satisfying your fun Tudor craving...Definitely a Tudor book I recommend." 'The Tudor Enthusiast'… (more)

This book is definitely not going to be a book for everyone - but for the right person, you are going to love it!

This is a spoof book, a humorous take on the six wives of Henry VIII. You definitely need to be at least somewhat familiar with the Tudor era in order to really enjoy the book. Spears does a great job of explaining who the characters are as she goes along, so if you need a bit of a nudge for some of the minor characters, she'll help you with that. It's meant to be very funny; alas, I didn't find most of the jokes all that funny (the constant rhyming especially drove me crazy; I'm not a two year old), but I still loved the book. It was so, so refreshing to see a lighthearted look at what was actually a controversial time in our history, and it was just so much FUN to imagine all of the wives chattering about gossiping to one another.

So definitely a must read for a Tudor fan with a sense of humor - even if you are like me, and you don't enjoy all of the jokes or puns, you can still really enjoy the book for what else it offers you. ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
A rather quirky little book. The night before her wedding a woman meets the six wives of Henry VIII in a theme rather similar to A Christmas Carol, but this all focuses on the wives lives and a backdrop to their stories. Not really for history aficionados, but an okay read, if rather simplistic. 2.5 Stars. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 30, 2016 |
Six of One is a hilarious story involving a bride on her wedding day and what happens shortly thereafter. Author JoAnn Spears brings wit and humor to the stressful and exhilarating ride that is a wedding. Her descriptive quality colors the scenes to life as you feel the anxiety, happiness and thrill of every moment.

As Dolly (Cathy) and Harry (Henry) are preparing for a wedding and life together several moments are brought about that incite laughter, tears and a deeper understanding. Not the least of which exposes that Dolly will be wife number seven to Harry and after the wedding the couple will have to move to London. There are also in-laws, an eccentric grandmother and a small town environment where the history is deep and far back. After Dolly chokes on nuts the evening before her wedding she is awakened in another world where she will meet several people to further her understanding of Henry VII, also known as her husband to be. But after this awakening will she still want to marry her Harry?

For an amusingly hysterical and thoroughly entertaining experience, I highly recommend it! ( )
  AllyMcMahon | May 23, 2014 |
I suppose I would describe this as a mix of humour, nonsense, Tudor geekery and chick-lit. The story and ideas were far too outlandish to be taken seriously, and the dialogue was very annoying albeit, I acknowledge, cleverly put together. The various central themes did tie together nicely too, although they made the ending predictable, and the editing was fine - I only spotted a few typos.

However, it wasn't one of my favourite reads. I wouldn't rush out to recommend it to anyone, but I wouldn't say avoid it either, just be prepared for a totally mindless, nonsense read - maybe at the beach, or when you want to just switch off. ( )
  Lisa17 | Jan 24, 2014 |
Queen of the day, I reigned over my bridal shower in the usual way, crowned with a paper plate full of ribbons and bows that threatened to topple off my head at any moment. The queen’s customary wicker peacock throne was shaky, too. It tipped over completely at the height of the festivities, sending me—ass over newly unwrapped teakettle—to the floor. General relief that I had not broken my neck displaced any speculation about what sort of an omen my tumble might be.
“Ann Boleyn...a Renaissance Audrey Hepburn in a little black dress.”

“Codpieces were all that my sister Mary was interested in.”

“Ann Boleyn, speechless! That makes a nice change, to be sure!”

“This building fool could only be Bess of Hardwicke, a woman whose name is seldom seen in print without the word “redoubtable” in front of it. I wondered if anyone ever called her redoubtable to her face. I redoubted it.”

"You have to be very careful with roguish when you are over 40.”

“But I had a job to do, and men are of a lot more use all whipped up than they are basking in afterglow."

"I would have bet my panties that they were Mary’s aunties—if I had been wearing any."

"I... guessed it would be best to just bumroll with the punches."
Truly, hope does spring eternal; chill it, grill it, spill it or drill it, you just can't kill it.
"I want you to have a stout heart for what you give to life, and a light heart for what you receive from it.  Lighthearted only, you have no worth.  Stouthearted only you have no joy.   You must have both to do life justice."

A little historical humor and Tudor geekery, anyone?

“Six of One” is the ultimate ‘girls’ night in’…with the six wives of Henry VIII. It’s the most fun you can have with your nightdress on! Join Dolly, the Tudor-obsessed heroine of “Six of One”, on a Yellow Brick Road journey to the alternate reality of an all-girl Tudor court.

It all begins when Dolly loses consciousness on the eve of her marriage to the six-times- divorced Harry. She awakens in the company of the Tudor women she’s studied all her life. They have a mission to accomplish, and Dolly may be just the girl who can help them do it.

As a warm-up to her life-changing interview with the six wives of Henry VIII, Dolly gets to dish with lots of the other fascinating females of the Tudor era. She learns things she never guessed about the Princes in the Tower from their sister, Elizabeth of York…Henry VIII’s mom. She talks sex with Henry’s sisters and scholarship with his daughters. She even gossips with the help, since Kat Ashley and Bess of Hardwicke are among the ladies on hand.

Of course the heart of the story is in Dolly’s interview with the six wives of Henry VIII. It turns out there’s something to each of the wives’ stories that’s been held back all this time. You won’t believe what really happened…or will you?

“Six of One” offers no tragedy, no excuses, and no apologies. It does have lots of broad humor, not to mention tons of puns. And—for a change—a happy ending.
[retrieved 4/7/2014 from Amazon.com]

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,804,938 books! | Top bar: Always visible