The Jane Austen Marriage Manual by Kim Izzo

The Jane Austen Marriage Manual (2012)

by Kim Izzo

English (4)  Finnish (1)  All languages (5)
Lighthearted, kind of funny, good as a break from the fantasy I've been reading. ( )
  newskepticx | Dec 18, 2013 |
Review originally published on my blog: AWordsWorth.blogspot.com

"What if a modern woman took Jane Austen's "marriage advice" to the letter, and applied it to her own life?" That's the basic premise of this novel, although with a slightly more cynical/materialistic bent than Jane herself suggested (although Mrs. Bennett would certainly agree with Kate's theories!). It's a fun, quick read. I figured out where it was going reeeeeally fast, but that didn't take away from the reading. The story itself fades into the background for me though, because what I really enjoyed were the characters. Kate's one crazy conflicted woman, and watching her struggle to justify things is both exasperating and entertaining. There's a whole cast of colorful and interesting characters, my favorites being Fawn and Griff. (Also fun: so many of Kate's intimate circle feature Austen character names: Marianne, Brandon, Emma, etc. So fun!) A good summer reading choice. ( )
  RivkaBelle | Dec 3, 2013 |
Happily adding to my Canadian authored Reading Challenges - #Canadian author, Kim Izzo offers a very contemporary JA P&P variation, complete with a delish Mr Darcy and full doses of laugh out loud humour.

About to turn forty, never married, Kate queries her friends, "Do you think I'm too old to marry well?" Thus begins a year long experiment as Kate pursues her answer.. and her story for the fashion magazine editor who contracts the article. Kate's adventures and escapades had me laughing out loud as she employs her best acting skills in pursuit of a rich husband and the worst case scenarios that result!

Getting 'the Jane Austen marriage manual' from reality to written results in relational fiascos of every proportion. Kate's premise being wrong from the get go, goes steadily from bad to worse. Finding rich men and forming unfounded opinions on their suitability as husband potential seems to be Kate's forte. Until...the one desired situation suddenly appears to swing in her favour. But will it bring the hoped for conclusion?

Kate has some unexpected soul searching to do before she says her final 'I do'...

Well written, believable and engaging characters, a story line that captured and kept my interest. [Forewarning on minimal dialogue profanity and inclusion of sex without graphic description] Thought provoking exploration of what really matters when it comes to romance and marriage... ( )
  FHC | Jun 13, 2013 |
I had a hard time understanding just how Katherine came to the conclusion that Jane Austen was advocating marriage for wealth's sake, since none of her heroines marries for money. It wasn't until the end, when she is confessing all to Griffith that I really got a glimpse of her grief. Up 'til then the story was all laughs and light-heartedness and "practicality". The story is funny and there are a number of nods to Jane Austen and her famous novels, but the story stands by itself without being a re-telling of a particular novel. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Sep 12, 2012 |

Kim Izzoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Luhtanen, SariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

After her family's home is sold, a Jane Austen devotee decides to find out if she can, indeed, marry for money when she is forced to choose between Mr. Rich and Mr. Right. Set in Scotland.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,609,596 books! | Top bar: Always visible