Little Red Cap by Lisbeth Zwerger

Little Red Cap

by Lisbeth Zwerger

English (7)  French (1)  All languages (8)
  booktsunami | Apr 3, 2018 |
The book is beautifully illustrated and the original story was somewhat different than the classic watered down american version. This one was more interest but somewhat strange for young children.
  Jacqcar | Apr 20, 2016 |
In my opinion, this was a good book. The plot was very strong. Even though I already knew the classic story of Little Red Riding Hood, I still found it to be suspenseful enough to hold my attention, and I think it would do the same for a young reader. The characters were another good part of this book. Little Red Cap, the wolf, and the hunter were all well-developed and interesting characters. The wolfs cunning was especially entertaining! This books big idea is caution. Little Red Cap threw caution to the wind, and wandered into the woods alone. She paid for her poor judgment, but was eventually rescued by the hunter. Overall, I would recommend this book to a young reader. ( )
  rking17 | Oct 7, 2015 |
This classic tale of little red riding hood tells of a young girl walking through the woods to deliver cake and wine to her sickly grandmother. She is confronted by the wolf, when she naively tells the wolf where her grandmother lives. The wolf then proceeds to eat the grandmother and little cap upon her arrival. A hunter eventually saves the grandmother and little cap by cutting open the wolf and filling the wolf's stomach with rocks for him to fall over and eventually die.

This German version is rather daunting as the illustrations seem gloomy. I did personally enjoy this story, however, this version doesn't seem appropriate for young children as the woodsman uses the grandmother's scissors to cut open the wolf to save the grandmother and little red cap. I thought this was rather gruesome although that may be concept young children may not observe. If I choose this book to use in my classroom I would not focus on the cutting open of the wolf, but rather the mistake little red cap made by not following her mother's orders and talking to strangers. ( )
  mcnicol_08 | Feb 15, 2015 |
The Grimm brother's version of the tale Little Red Riding Hood. This version of the fairy tale is from Germany. A little girl is on her way to her grandmother house. To get there she has to travel through the woods where she meets a stranger who happens to be a wolf. When the wolf knows where the grandmothers house is he hurries there before the girl. He ends up eating the grandmother and little girl but like most fairy tales there is a happy ending. A hunter happens to be passing by and save the girl and her grandmother from the wolf by cutting his stomach open. ( )
  amccann | Jan 7, 2015 |
Es war einmal ein kleines süsses Mädchen, das hatte jedermann lieb, der es nur ansah, am allerliebsten aber die Grossmutter, die gar nicht wusste, was sie alles dem Kinde geben sollte.

When a little girl in a red cap puts her picnic basket over her arm and sets off through the woods to grandmother's house, one of the best-loved fairy tales of all time unfolds.

Lisbeth Zwerger has brought the full range of her highly acclaimed talents to the illustrations in her version of Little Red-Cap, which was named a New York Times Best Illustrated Book in 1983. No little girl has ever been so winsome and naughty, no wolf so beguiling, no huntsman so valiant and so brave.

This wonderfully welcome reissue of this timeless story is sure to be enjoyed by children, by the adults who read to them, and by all who love and appreciate beautiful books.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:08 -0400)

A little girl meets a hungry wolf in the forest while on her way to visit her sick grandmother.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,453,281 books! | Top bar: Always visible