The Killing by David Hewson

English (4)  Dutch (2)  All languages (6)
Scandinavian crime classic, based on the BAFTA award-winning TV series written by Soren Sveistrup
  noellib | Mar 22, 2014 |
This novel is as exciting as the television series ,on which it is based. A page-turner with a contrary heroine in Sarah Lund ,which exposes the soft underbelly of Danish society. David Hewson has written a gripping novel ,which tracks a horrific crime over a period of twenty days. ( )
1 vote tbrennan1 | Feb 4, 2014 |
I don't watch much television but even I have heard of the Danish TV series "The Killing", and am yet to hear a bad word spoken about it. Consequently hen i saw this book at my local Oxfam shop i thought it might be worth reading . They certainly sold me the dummy there!

I did try to read this. Honestly! Somehow I just couldn't find the strength of soul to carry on. Three hundred pages in and I still hadn't found even one character for whom I felt any empathy. Apparently it was originally written in English though that was far from evident from the prose style. It seemed to me more like something that had been written in German and then translated by someone who didn't have German-English dictionary but was, instead using a German-French one and then a French-Russian one before finally finding a Russian-English lexicon to finish it off.

The feeling of liberation after I deliberately left this book on the bus was enlivening. Now I can look for a proper book. ( )
  Eyejaybee | Oct 25, 2013 |
Why did I read it? I have been on a Scandi-Nordic fiction kick since midwinter 2011, and I heard the television drama series was good, but I couldn't afford to purchase the DVD; so I snapped up a preview copy from Amazon, but found it already released in audio format and downloaded it instead.

What's it about? Detective Inspector Sarah Lund is leaving her job with the Danish police and moving to Sweden with her fiancé and Son, but on the last day a teenage girl goes missing. Nanna Birk Larsen is found raped and brutally murdered, and Lund is unable to break from the case to leave, despite her replacement, Detective Inspector Jan Meyer, itching to take over.

What did I like? There are mistakes made by the police in their investigation, not everything is straightforward because, to quote the fictional Dr. Gregory House "Everybody lies". The listener is not always sure of Lund's thinking, or how she makes the connections she does in her investigations. Lund seems very well drawn, as do the all the other characters.

Like most detectives in Scandi-Nordic crime fiction, the family life of Lund is dysfunctional, as are her working relationships, adding to the character interest; she is fallible but apparently not vulnerable. In "The Killing", there are the additional problems stemming from the dysfunctional world of politics, and the disintegration of the family of the victim.

I was comfortable with the investigation, storyline and scenes seemingly being all over the place, only all being pulled together, and the mystery solved in the last 20 minutes of the audio version. I found the audio version from Audible clear, without error and with a steady, even volume.

What didn't I like? When I first started listening, I gave up very early into the story. I just could not focus on the story, my mind kept wandering. I can't say if it was the narration, the storyline or what. Months later, I started re-listening and was immediately, completely and utterly drawn in.

Though the book of "The Killing" is based on the television series, it seems to stray from it in many places. At least, according to synopses and analyses found at various places on the internet. So, I am not sure I got what I wanted from it, which is an alternative to watching/buying the DVDs.

Christian Rodka as narrator seems to struggle to find unique voices for the characters, employing various English accents, but I found this jarring, rather than engaging. It felt rather forced and false to me. Eventually, I did get used to Mr Rodka's style, but I don't believe his narration enhanced the book in any way.

Would I recommend it? Yes, though I would warn it's not an exact replica of the television drama and, perhaps would recommend reading, rather than listening to the book of "The Kiling". ( )
  Sile | Oct 9, 2012 |

David Hewsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sveistrup, Sorenmain authorall editionsconfirmed

"Sarah Lund is looking forward to her last day as a detective with the Copenhagen police department before moving to Sweden. But everything changes when nineteen-year-old student, Nanna Birk Larsen, is found raped and brutally murdered in the woods outside the city. Lund's plans to relocate are put on hold as she leads the investigation along with fellow detective Jan Meyer. While Nanna's family struggles to cope with their loss, local politician, Troels Hartmann, is in the middle of an election campaign to become the new mayor of Copenhagen. When links between City Hall and the murder suddenly come to light , the case takes an entirely different turn. Over the course of twenty days, suspect upon suspect emerges as violence and political intrigue cast their shadows over the hunt for the killer" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,838,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible