Gentlemen Prefer Nerds by Joan Kilby

Gentlemen Prefer Nerds (edition 2012)

by Joan Kilby

Member:NasDean
Title:Gentlemen Prefer Nerds
Authors:Joan Kilby
Info:Carina Press (2012), Kindle Edition, 250 pages

Gentlemen Prefer Nerds by Joan Kilby

As I started reading, this story took me back to my early twenties when I loved to watch thrilling movies. Roger Moore and Sean Connery in James Bond! Oh! My! Be still, my beating heart! This story is a very fast paced thrilling read. It is packed with car chases, helicopter rides, boat rides, dodging police and danger.

The heroine, Maddy Maloney is a jewel expert. Englishman, Fabian Montgomery tells her a jewel thief is after the rare pink diamond displayed in her aunt’s jewellery shop. She doesn’t believe him. Then the diamond gets stolen and Maddy is the prime suspect.

How Fabian takes her from the police and they go off to find the diamond and the thief is the basis of the story. On the way Fabian helps transform Maddie from a brown haired, specs wearing geek to a vibrant and sophisticated red haired beauty. His plans for Maddy are to seduce the diamond thief and steal the diamond back. But he also has to teach Maddy the art of seduction, so can he remain untouched by Maddy’s innocence?

This story had everything a voracious reader would want. It was a great mixture of romance, sensuality and excitement. The adventure Maddy embarks on after her calm existence is exhilarating to read. Then she falls in love with the unattainable Fabian. Does he love her and will they end up together? Who is he? Is he a thief himself? Why is he so interested in the diamond thief and the pink diamond? Why don’t you get a copy to find out! ( )
  NasDean | Apr 24, 2012 |
Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archives/1076

I gotta be honest: I am a closet fan of romance novels. I started reading them way back in middle school (the torrid ones with the heaving bosoms on the covers), and while I don’t often read them now, I can certainly appreciate a good one. I’m a hopeless romantic as a direct result of my younger self’s obsession with them!

Gentlemen Prefer Nerds is my first non-YA review on the blog, and as such – I’m a little disappointed that I could only give it a 3. But the story just didn’t live up to my expectations. It tried a little too hard to be everything to everybody.

It was cute. It was fun. And I certainly enjoyed reading it. But…

Oh yes, there’s a but.

Maddie was too nerdy and then miraculously turned into the sex kitten she needed to be when necessary? Okay, so she was still a little clumsy – but it was just a little too neat and tidy for my tastes.

And making Fabian a faux 007 just took the cliches right over the top.

And to further add to the cliches was the writing itself.

"He wasn’t given to lurid descriptors but one word popped into his mind – she was luscious – with all of the life-giving, taste-tempting, juice sweetness of a perfectly ripe mango."

I actually burst out laughing when I read that. Then I read it again. Then I bookmarked it on my Nook. Then I laughed again.

And really, these things aren’t bad. The book was good! I enjoyed it! But they do prevent it from being great. And it is possible to write some really great romance (see: Diana Gabaldon).

Bottom line: if you want to read a light and fluffy book about a nerd and a Bond-esque Englishman… this is the one to read. ( )
  mandikaye | Mar 6, 2012 |

Self-professed nerd Maddie Maloney is an expert on jewels. Jewel thieves are another matter entirely! So when a mysterious Englishman warns her that a thief known as The Chameleon is after the rare pink diamond on display in her aunt's shop, she tells herself it's just a joke. Even if she can't get Mr. Tall, Dark and Handsome out of her mind.But Fabian Montgomery doesn't give up easily. He's everywhere she goes, convinced the thief will strike. And when the diamond does go missing--and Maddie is suspected of stealing it--he whisks her away from the police and together they pursue The Chameleon. Fabian plunges her into a glamorous world far from her humble workshop and transforms geeky Maddie into a sophisticated siren capable of espionage. Her mission: to seduce The Chameleon and steal back the diamond.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,183,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible