Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (Signet Classics) by…

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (Signet Classics) (original 1886; edition 2003)

by Robert Louis Stevenson (Author)

A kind and well-respected doctor can turn himself into a murderous madman by taking a secret drug he's created.
Member:becca.helme
Title:Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (Signet Classics)
Authors:Robert Louis Stevenson (Author)
Info:Signet Classics (2003), Edition: Reissue, 144 pages
Collections:Read, Your library

Work Information

The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (Author) (1886)

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (chrisharpe, lucyknows)
    lucyknows: Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness could be paired with Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray or The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. In all three novels the authors depict the struggle of people against the forces of evil.
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (SanctiSpiritus, ghr4)
    The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Another great Victorian horror novel.
    Mary Reilly by Valerie Martin (VictoriaPL)
    Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (Sylak)
    Sylak: Delving the depths of human savagery and corruption.
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (HollyMS)
    The Time Machine by H. G. Wells (chrisharpe)
    The Face of Another by Kōbō Abe (lilisin)
    lilisin: Very different stylistically but these books cover the same theme. However, Abe goes into much more detail about the repercussions that comes with letting your other side get the best of you.
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Tales of Terror by Robert Louis Stevenson (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: The Penguin Classics edition is worth having by all who enjoy Stevenson's brilliant little novel. The Introduction, Notes and afterword by Robert Mighall vary in quality and contain some superficial, misguided or simply irrelevant stuff. But they also contain some fascinating background and useful annotations.… (more)
    Society of Mind by Marvin Minsky (bertilak)
    In a Glass Darkly by Sheridan Le Fanu (HollyMS)
    Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse (roby72)
    Alicia's Ghost by Nick Iuppa (weelinda)
    weelinda: this book was a wonderful book to read and now I have read all the books in this series well the two of them but they are very very good and will be reading the third one soon
1880s (6)

English (250)  Italian (11)  Spanish (8)  German (5)  French (5)  Danish (3)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (289)
Had to take advantage of Richard Armitage reading this while it’s available in Audible Plus. Was not disappointed. What a great voice. And what a great story about the duality of man.

Earlier post: Very interesting especially when read with Nabokov's lecture notes.

Librivox ( )
  jimgosailing | Nov 18, 2021 |
What was going on in the 1880s to produce not only The Strange Case but also Dorian Gray? Victorian repression?

This gets an extra * because it’s a Classic that has inspired lots of films, but it made for a dull read - because I knew the mystery, and largely because it is told rather than shown, and the characters are so sketchily drawn that I wasn’t engaged. The story is mostly related by a Mr Utterson, who is concerned about his friend Dr Jekyll. Off stage a child is attacked and a man murdered. Then eventually Utterson breaks into Jeykll’s laboratory & reads Jeykll’s own account of what he had been experimenting with. Jeykll made a potion that could separate his good character from his bad: he could plod with respectability then dive into a sea of freedom, conscience free.

For me, the most moving part of the novel was a throwaway sentence, setting the scene, of ragged children huddling in doorways, so much for Victorian respectability. ( )
  LARA335 | Nov 18, 2021 |
by Robert Louis Stevenson | Read by Scott Brick
Classics • 3 hrs. • Unabridged • © 1886
Stevenson's most often dramatized and distorted novella gets its umpteenth audiobook reading from the talented Scott Brick. Although his British accent is a wee bit shaky, he doesn't disappoint. He narrates in his wonted American voice with particular attention to atmosphere and delivers his British characters with personality and a reserve that lends appropriate gravity to the tale and plays effectively against its melodrama. Y.R. SYNC 2014 © AudioFile 2003, Portland, Maine [Published: AUG/SEP 03]

Trade Ed. • Tantor Media • 2008

CD ISBN 9781400108596 $17.99 • Three CDs

MP3-CD ISBN 9781400158591 $17.99 • One MP3-CDs

DD ISBN 9781400178599 $9.99
  Gmomaj | Oct 29, 2021 |
Quite thrilling in parts, and I liked the suspense of knowing what the connection is between Jekyll and Hyde but still watching it unfold in the action.

It seems an obvious morality tale, about which side of your character you feed and what might come of indulging in the wrong thing, maybe I’ll peek at a guide to see if there’s anything else going on, social commentary, other contextual things I’m not aware of, tho I’m not saying there needs to be more; as a cautionary tale, it’s pretty effective. ( )
  Annrosenzweig | Oct 15, 2021 |
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson is an 1886 publication.

What a strange case, indeed!

This classic tale of horror is one that, of all the old movies, like Dracula, the Wolfman and Frankenstein and all their various incarnations, I watched repeatedly growing up, I just didn’t really care for all that much. I did, later in life, watch a movie version of this tale starring Spencer Tracey, and an all- star cast, which was petty good.

Still, when it came to reading the book, unless it was a classroom assignment, I don’t think I ever volunteered read it, and if I did read it somewhere back there, I honestly couldn’t recall it, which is why I decided to select it for my classic horror Halloween read, this year.

Everyone knows the setup for this short story. A scientist, Dr. Jekyll, is resentful of having to repress the darker side of his nature and happens across a solution- one that allows him to express this side of himself by becoming, through the aid of ‘medication’, Mr. Hyde.

People who encounter this Mr. Hyde is put off by him, and do not understand his hold over the respectable and well-liked, Dr. Jekyll.

As the good doctor proceeds with his experiments, he discovers he is almost addicted to his alter ego- who is gradually becoming the dominant personality and becoming more and more dangerous with each passing day.

This is one horror/sci-fi story, one could find all manner of allegory, making it one of the more thought-provoking tales of this genre.

My mind went to the duality of people who often present one face in public, hiding their baser inclinations, exposing false morality, and hypocrisy.

Other themes are centered around the Victorian era itself, and some of the current political climate- a less obvious theme, in my opinion, but not to be dismissed.

Naturally, one could also go with the classic good vs evil trope-or even a more profound nod at spiritual warfare- as the good side of ourselves continually does battle with the dark side, and the fear that our darker impulses will win out in the end.

Bottom line- All these possible themes make sense, and they each give readers a great deal to chew on, so that the book is not just a horror novel, but a classic in many other ways as well.

Overall, I’m pleased I chose this novella to read this year. I’d considered it many times in the past, but always vowed to read it ‘next’ year. Now, I wish I had not waited so long!!

5 stars ( )

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a student's study guide

It's ill to loose the bands that God decreed to bind;
Still will we be the children of the heather and the wind;
Far away from home, O it's still for you and me
That the broom is blowing bonnie in the north countrie.
TO
KATHARINE DE MATTOS
Mr. Utterson the lawyer was a man of a rugged countenance, that was never lighted by a smile; cold, scanty and embarrassed in discourse; backward in sentiment; lean, long, dusty, dreary, and yet somehow lovable.
With every day, and from both sides of my intelligence, the moral and the intellectual, I thus drew steadily nearer to that truth by whose partial discovery I have been doomed to such a dreadful shipwreck: that man is not truly one, but truly two. I say two, because the state of my own knowledge does not pass beyond that point. Others will follow, others will outstrip me on the same lines; and I hazard the guess that man will be ultimately known for a mere polity of multifarious, incongruous and independent denizens.
This is the single story work. Please do not combine with other story collections or with abridged versions.

Suspense, omicidi, atmosfere cupe: c'è quanto basta per restare svegli con Lo Strano Caso del dr. Jekyll e del sig. Hyde. È la storia di un dottore che scopre in una droga il mezzo per trasformarsi in una creatura mostruosa. Ambientato nella Londra del XIX secolo, il romanzo di Stevenson ha inizio in una strada cittadina, con una chiacchierata tra l'avvocato Utterson e suo cugino Enfield. Passeggiando, i due superano una casa che ricorda a Enfield una brutta vicenda: in quell'abitazione era vissuto un certo signor Hyde che aveva picchiato brutalmente una bambina. Utterson resta scosso dal racconto e se ne torna a casa. Ma poco dopo, nel suo studio, fa una scoperta inquietante: il beneficiario del testamento del dottor Jekyll è il signor Hyde. Si mette così sulle trac e di Hyde. Lo trova, gli parla, ma la conversazione dura pochi secondi perchè Hyde interrompe il colloquio bruscamente e sparisce. Invano l'avvocato chiede chiarimenti al dottor Jekyll, di cui è molto amico: il medico è evasivo e, anzi, a un certo punto non si fa neppure trovare. La tensione sale, i colpi di scena si susseguono, c'è un omicidio. Chi ne è l'autore? Utterson insiste con il dottor Jekyll per conoscere la verità. Ma questa verrà alla luce solo negli ultimi due capitoli. Caratterizzato da un ritmo incalzante, il libro di Stevenson esprime la convinzione dello scrittore che la mente umana abbia una doppia natura. Ma è anche un' efficace denuncia dell'ipocrisia della società vittoriana.
(piopas)
What's in this test tube?
I don't know. Should I drink it?
Sure, what could go wrong?
(Carnophile)
A mad scientist
divides himself in two parts.
He’s both good and bad.
(marcusbrutus)

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451528956, 0141023589, 0451532252, 0141389508

Columbia University Press

An edition of this book was published by Columbia University Press.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100763, 1400108594

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175870, 1909175889

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,914,579 books! | Top bar: Always visible