Death in Brittany (2012)

by Jean-Luc Bannalec

Series: Brittany Mystery Series (1)

"Commissaire Georges Dupin, a Parisian-born caffeine junkie recently relocated from the glamour of Paris to the remote (if picturesque) Breton coast, is not happy when he is dragged from his morning croissant and coffee to the scene of a curious murder. The local village of Pont-Aven--a sleepy community by the sea where everyone knows one other and nothing much seems to happen--is in shock. The legendary ninety-one-year-old hotelier Pierre-Louis Pennec, owner of the Central Hotel, has been found dead"--Dust jacket flap.… (more)

English (23)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (27)
The 91 year old hotelier's violent death couldn't have happened at a worse time. The holiday season is about to begin and have the hotel's restaurant closed because it is a crime scene is an inconvenience for many.

The village was once the haunt of Gauguin and other artists and there is a museum that tourists flock too. Most of the hotels including the Central have exhibitions of copies of Gauguin paintings.

Commissaire Georges Dupin is not a local - he only moved to Pont-Aven four years ago- but he thinks he knows the area pretty well. He quickly finds out that the hotelier has recently found out that he had not long to live, and had begun to put his affairs in order. Dupin wonders who also knew that. What dispositions did the will make? Were people happy about their inheritances, or had they come as a shock for some. On the surface of it, apart from the Central hotel itself, and some derelict warehouses, the hotelier did not have a lot of value. His heir is his son who lives locally, and he has a half-brother from whom he has been estranged most of his life.

Dupin also quickly discovers that not everyone is telling him the truth.

Dupin works extraordinarily long days, can't start the day without at least three cups of coffee, is rather cantankerous, and does not relate well either to his superiors or his underlings. He finds it hard to remember to keep everyone in the loop. He expects unquestioning obedience and is fortunate to have a secretary who takes his phone calls and shields him from the worst anger.

The novel takes an extraordinary twist when there is a second death and the field of suspects narrows. ( )
  smik | Mar 21, 2022 |
I’m pretty sure I have one of the books in this series floating around a TBR pile somewhere, but I couldn’t remember which one, and I was pretty sure it wasn’t the first one, so I checked it out from the library. If I do have one of the series (and I didn’t give it away) it’s one that I’ve picked up and put right back down again for ages, but the titles always appeal to me, so I made myself read this one.

It was pretty good! Not great, but entertaining, and a pretty solid mystery. The writing style (3rd person) reminds me a little of the Provence mystery series written by M.L. Longworth, although I suspect that’s more just the power of suggestion (one series set in Provence, the other in Brittany) than any actual resemblance. But I’d class these as traditional mysteries, not cozy; they’re all about the mystery plots and very little about the characters, although the descriptions of the countryside were a little eye glazing.

The main character of the book is an obvious tip of the hat to Poe, as his name is Dupin. To my everlasting relief, however, he is as unlike his classic namesake as can be. There’s no expounding, or soapbox monologues; the mystery plot spans 4 days and every one of them is non-stop showing and almost no telling. A Gaugin masterpiece is at the centre of the murder plot, and mysteries about art are catnip for me, so when it felt slow going, the art kept me reading. I say slow going, but that’s not really accurate; the book isn’t divided into chapters, but the 4 days of the investigation, and if you’re a stop-at-the-end-of-a-chapter reader like I am, discovering the first ‘chapter’ is 97 pages long makes it feel like it’s taking forever. Once I figured that out, I adjusted my habits and the book and I got along much better.

I’m definitely interested in the rest of the series. I need to figure out if I do, indeed, have a book and which one it is, and whether or not my library has the entire series or is going to torture me with random entries. No matter though, I definitely have a new series to look forward to.
  murderbydeath | Jan 21, 2022 |
Traditional, but engaging. ( )
  PattyLee | Dec 14, 2021 |
Brittany, law-enforcement, murder, murder-investigation, relationships, rivalry, situational-humor, family dynamics*****
Who murders a 91 year old hotelier? And why? That is the crazy that Dupin has to figure out and locate prosecutable evidence for. He is mostly a loner and has his own way of sifting through everything that comes his way which provides the rest of us with opportunities to solve things while he does. Loved it! I came late to this series, so I can testify that they only keep getting better and better! The other important thing is the beautiful prose which feels like a love song to the beauty of Brittany and her people.
Jean Brassard makes the pronunciations of the unfamiliar French sound so easy. ( )
  jetangen4571 | Nov 23, 2020 |
Commissaire Georges Dupin investigates the death of a hotelier, Pierre-Louis Pennec, in the picturesque village of Pont-Aven on the Breton coast of France.

Dupin had only recently been transferred to this seaside town after having presumably ruffled some feathers in Paris, and now, three years in, he is still considered an outsider. In fact, he will be an outsider to the end of his days there, given the villagers' attitudes.

A point of fame for Pont-Aven is that many artists spent time there, most notably Paul Gauguin. Thus students of art and appreciators of art flock there still. The Central Hotel, whose owner was murdered, catered to this world.

Pennec was found in the bar area of the hotel, on the floor. Much of the area had to be cordoned off during the investigation, upsetting tourists and residents alike, as the town was just getting into the tourist season.

Dupin and his team flush out several suspects, including Pennec's own brother. But he does not always find straight answers. The plot is twisted one way and then another, keeping us on our toes. It would have been much easier to discover the killer if witnesses had told all they knew right from the start.

An easy read, fun to unravel, and of course it took me to the maps and photographs of Brittany on Google. Dupin is at times crotchety and at times seems to talk too much. In this novel we see him developing an interest in an art historian he has asked to evaluate some paintings, and I expect we will see more of her in the future. ( )
  slojudy | Sep 8, 2020 |

Wameling, GerdSprechersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Goldmann (47927)
Une mer calme n'a jamais faith un bon marin.
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.
-Breton proverb
Voor L.
For L
Het was een prachtige zomerdag, die zevende juli, een van die Atlantische dagen waar commissaris Dupin normaal gesproken gelukkig van werd.
The seventh of July was a magnificent summer's day, one of those majestic Atlantic days that always lifted Commissaire Dupin's spirits.
He really resented having to keep his anger in check in these kinds of situations. And that's also why he found it a bit sad, because he lacked some of the 'hidden depths', which now seemed a quasi-requirement for his profession: drug addiction, or at least alcoholism, neuroses or depression to a clinical degree, a colorful criminal past, corruption on an interesting scale or several dramatically failed marriages. He didn't have any of these things to show off about. ("The First Day", page 69)
Published in English as Death in Pont-Aven (Hesperus 2014) and also Death in Brittany (Minotaur 2015)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,684,122 books! | Top bar: Always visible