Heir to the Empire (Star Wars: The Thrawn…

Heir to the Empire (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #1) (edition 2011)

by Timothy Zahn

It's five years after Return of the Jedi: the Rebel Alliance has destroyed the Death Star, defeated Darth Vader and the Emperor, and driven out the remnants of the old Imperial Starlfleet to a distant corner of the galaxy. Princess Leia and Han Solo are married and expecting Jedi Twins. And Luke Skywalker has become the first in a long-awaited line of Jedi Knights. But thousand of light-years away.… (more)
Member:tatuahponen
Title:Heir to the Empire (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #1)
Authors:Timothy Zahn
Info:Del Rey, Kindle Edition, 434 pages
Rating:***

Heir To The Empire by Timothy Zahn

Picking up from Chaos Rising, Thrawn and his crew are cleaning up from the the last great threat to the Chiss Ascendancy. But a new threat appears in the form of the Agbui who work as kind of conmen to infiltrate Chiss society and gin up conflict among the ruling families with hopes of provoking a civil war. Caregiver Thalias, sky-walker Che’ri, Admiral Ar’alani, and of course, Thrawn return for this middle novel of the trilogy. But we also spend a lot of time with Captain Lakinda, an ambitious young officer from a minor family hoping to gain prestige for herself and her family. Since Thrawn is inept at dealing with family infighting and politics, a lot depends on her loyalty to her family or the Chiss. We also spend a lot of time with Haplif, the smarmy Agbui spy and his marks.

After reading so many Thrawn novels, I finally made the connection that Thrawn is a lot like Sherlock Holmes. He sees things that others cannot see and then explains it to the point of view characters. I like that this novel builds the world of the Chaos with seemingly a whole galaxy of planets and alien races seperate from the rest of the Star Wars universe (who it easy to forget are engaged in the Clone Wars at the same time as this novel). However, it does get a bit confusing keeping all the characters and the families, planets, races, et al straight, but I'm not the most attentive audiobook listener. Nevertheless, this is a fun and engaging story. ( )
  Othemts | Jul 26, 2021 |
Without Question, the single greatest trilogy dealing with Star Wars in existence. ( )
  valeyardx91 | Apr 22, 2021 |
I've loved Star Wars ever since I saw the first movie on the big screen, and I've enjoyed ALL the movies, some more than other but didn't hate any of them. BUT I never even thought of reading a Star Wars novel. I read mostly Fantasy, but I've read plenty of sci-fi over the years, I just didn't think I would enjoy reading Star Wars. And I guess maybe I wouldn't have enjoyed "reading" Star Wars, I may never know, but this was on audio and man was it awesome. The narrator sounded just like many of the characters, especially Han, but he also did the other voices really well too. It was more like listening to a movie and for an old Star Wars veteran like me it was like visiting old friends in an all new adventure.

I'll definitely be checking out the rest of this trilogy on audio and will probably then expand into other Star Wars books on audio. ( )
  ragwaine | Apr 11, 2021 |
Date approximate
  fmc712 | Feb 18, 2021 |
took me a couple of tries to get started but an excellent book once I managed to break through my own apathy. ( )
  mjhunt | Jan 22, 2021 |

Setterborg, ElisabetTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Setterborg, GabrielTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, MarcNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Captain Pellaeon?"
includes novella and introduction and annotations by the author.  Do not combine with the regular edition.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,705,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible