Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Invincible…

Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Invincible (The Lost Fleet) (edition 2013)

by Jack Campbell

"Admiral John "Black Jack" Geary earned his rank after being revived from cryogenic sleep to lead the Alliance to victory against the Syndicate Worlds. But his superiors question his loyalty to the regime. Now in command of the First Fleet, Geary is tasked with exploring the frontier beyond Syndic space, a mission he fears deliberately puts the fleet--and himself--in harm's way. An encounter with the alien enigmas confirms Geary's fears. Attacked without warning, he orders the fleet to jump star systems--only to enter the crosshairs of another hostile alien armada. Ignoring all of the First Fleet's attempts to communicate peaceful intentions, this system's species sends its ships into battle on suicide runs while it guards the exiting jump point with a fortress of incalculable power. Now, with a faction of his officers determined to eliminate this new threat at any cost, Geary must figure out how to breach the enemy's defenses so the fleet can reach the jump point without massive casualties--even though the enigmas could be waiting on the other side.."--… (more)
Member:dharding
Title:Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Invincible (The Lost Fleet)
Authors:Jack Campbell
Info:Ace (2013), Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages

Invincible by Jack Campbell

Recently added byprivate library, tjl, drewpro, flitter2009, devnul, NeverEsfacas, P3t3r133, Kahlila, NeilDarach, paulpsands

i enjoyed the book but it just seemed like the editor said: "Jack, you gotta add some filler in here so's we can sell more books!" So Jack (not his real name) did just that. In this book, he invented a couple of races of aliens and the book ends by Geary whipping the enigman's asses (if they have them.) The humor is reminiscent of every military organization and the politics exaggerated. No soldier, sailor, etc. likes the politicians because those are the folks who send them out to do battle. So, the book ends and we're supposed to go out and buy the next one. Yep, that's because no library would buy this series. ( )
  buffalogr | Jul 31, 2019 |
I had waited a long time for this book to come out having fairly high expectations. Now, having read it, I am not sure the wait was actually worth it. Maybe this book series have gone on too long. It’s like to author doesn’t really have any new ideas and to “develop” the story he just bogs it down more and more in (bad) politics, deceit and backstabbing a ’la cheap soap opera.

I don’t really like the ships breaking down all the time. It is just irritating. The main plot of “go investigate the aliens” kind of turned into another Black Jack will get the fleet home story. Been there, done that.

The alien encounters could have been nice but…duct tape? I’m sorry it would be a spoiler to tell you what duct tape has to do with anything so you will have to read the book if you want to know. Me, I think that particular plot element was stupid beyond imagination. It’s one star off just for that.

I would have hoped that we would reach a point in the overall story arc where Black Jack would, you know, be triumphant, kick the arses of the idiot politicians and embark on new adventures with some proper backing. Now I would not go as far as to say it’s really a bad book although I very hesitantly give it three stars. It was still fun read. It was significantly less than what I hoped for though. ( )
  perjonsson | Jun 10, 2019 |
The second book in the Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier series. Moved straight on to this after finishing the first one, 'Dreadnaught' and inhaled it with gusto. The adventures of Admiral Geary and his once-again-lost-fleet continue. Good fun for all. ( )
  iftyzaidi | Apr 21, 2019 |
Awesome space battles against huge odds. ( )
  libgirl69 | Jan 14, 2018 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this. A lot happened, so the space battles were pared down, which I am completely ok with.

Several alien races, some good, some bad. And LOTS of politic'ing. Ends up with the fleet heading back to home with the spectre of old rivals perhaps in charge.

If I was Geary, I'd get my fleet ready,and just take over. And that is why I really like this series. Geary has a moral compass, and he sticks to it. Even when it is to his, and others[!!], disadvantage.

It is kind of odd knowing that he and Desjani are married, because they don't act like it at all. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
To Lieutenant Colonel Robert W. Lamont, USNC (ret.), who wanted to see the Marines assault a fort; Commander Christopher J. Lagemann, USN (ret.), who really would have made a darn good admiral; and Captain Michael A. Durnanm USN (ret.), who (with varying degrees of success over the years) has tried to keep all of the rest of us out of trouble.

For S., as always.
"When you find yourself going through hell, keep going."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,654,323 books! | Top bar: Always visible