Jurassic Park: A Novel by Michael Crichton

Jurassic Park: A Novel (original 1990; edition 2012)

by Michael Crichton (Author)

For use in schools and libraries only. A breakthrough in genetic engineering leads to the development of a technique for recovering and cloning dinosaur DNA, a method that brings about the creation of Jurassic Park, a tourist attraction populated by creatures extinct for eons.
Member:KevinVMurdock
Title:Jurassic Park: A Novel
Authors:Michael Crichton (Author)
Info:Ballantine Books (2012), 464 pages

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (1990)

The Lost World by Michael Crichton (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Kind of an obvious choice, The Lost World is a sequel to Jurassic Park. I think it's just as good, if not better.
    The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: An obvious rec, I admit. Doyle's story is the original "modern men interact with dinos" tale and Crichton's is the best one since.
    The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells (Stbalbach)
    Stbalbach: Mad doctor's breeding program on a remote island. What could go wrong?
    Carnosaur by Harry Adam Knight (caimanjosh, tottman)
    caimanjosh: There's been some speculation that Crichton actually got the idea for Jurassic Park from this book, which was written well before. This one's gorier.
    tottman: Both are stories about trying to bring back dinosaurs, and the ultimately destructive outcome of such an attempt. Carnosaur leans more to the horror side of the equation and Jurassic Park more to the thriller side.
    Relic by Douglas Preston (VictoriaPL)
    King Kong by Delos W. Lovelace (Hedgepeth)
    Meg: A Novel of Deep Terror by Steve Alten (Hedgepeth)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (mcenroeucsb)
    The Cartesian Machine by Dr. Nick E. Tran (NickETran)
    NickETran: The Cartesian Machine by Nick E. Tran and Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton are both based on the newly discovered sciences and the terrible disasters that ensued.
    Raptor Red by Robert T. Bakker (Konran, wordcauldron)
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: humanity creates without knowing
    When the Wind Blows by James Patterson (themephi)

English (262)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (275)
Much better than the movie, although the movie wasn't bad. As always so much more detail in the book.
  ilsevr1977 | Aug 3, 2021 |
Billionaire industrialist John Hammond has funded geneticists on the private island of Isla Nublar to create the world's first dinosaur conservation park. A group of experts and Hammonds two grandchildren arrive to take a tour of the park which goes spectacularly off the rails in a deadly way.

This novel has action, dinosaurs, adventure, dinosaurs, death, dinosaurs, mayhem, violence, industrial sabotage, and did I mention DINOSAURS! The group has to survive through a heavy tropical cyclone on an island filled with predators. There are daring escapes, graphic scenes of dino mauling, and pee your pants chases.

Jurassic Park is one of those books that grabs you as you begin to read and doesn't let you go at all. Crichton had magic in his writing to grip the reader with fact and science and mix in the unbelievable well. If you've only watched the film version - while an absolute masterpiece! - it is heavily audited from the book.

Notable changes include:
Hammond as a kindly old gentleman versus a ruthless businessman
Tim is the younger sibling
Lex is the older sibling and interested in computers (Spielberg also did this so he could introduce Lex as having a crush on Dr. Grant in the movie version)
Two scenes of dinosaur attacks were removed
Generally toned down the violence

The book is fast-paced and an adventure from start to finish. There are some slow parts, specifically when characters talk about their personal lives but the action more than makes up for it.

Recommended for high school readers and beyond for thematic violence and some confusing technical elements. While a working knowledge of dinosaurs is not necessary, being able to look up pictures of the dinos mentioned is fun! Totally recommend watching the movie and listening to the soundtrack as you read.

**All thoughts and opinions are my own.** ( )
  The_Literary_Jedi | Jun 11, 2021 |
In most situations where it's book vs movie people usually pick one or the other and are always clashing. This is one of the very few books that actually enhances the movie experience and though the movie and book are very different it was very fascinating comparing them, instead of hating on one or the other.

I have never read a Michael Crichton book before this and wasn't really planning to until it was picked for my book club. I am so glad that we decided to read this. The language and science Crichton uses are so freaking realistic not only the time the book came out, but for today as well. He made it seem as if what happened on the island was actually possible. It was so realistic that me and a friend got into an argument about the security system until I made a comment on how he thought the sensor system was dumb and unrealistic but dinosaurs were perfectly normal. We had a good laugh at that.

One of the main things I appreciate about this book is that you end up focusing and thinking about all the ethics, morals, science, law, and aspects of society and get so invested into the research of animal behavior, you forget about the fact that this a book about dinosaurs. ( )
1 vote Arafyn | Jun 9, 2021 |
I've been reading a lot of lesfic romance lately. I knew it was time for a break when I couldn't keep the characters or angsty stories straight. I had picked up Jurassic Park a few months ago during one of Audible's 2-for-1 sales but hadn't gotten around to it but this seemed like the perfect opportunity to cleanse my reading palate.

Like just about everyone else, I've seen the movie based on the book several times. I never really feel like watching it but once it gets going, it's intense and action packed and I end up loving it. The book was sort of like that but filled with much more detail. Detail and saying the same things several times for no apparent reason. But I still had a good time listening to the book. I really enjoyed the differences in how the story unfolded - although it's been years since I've seen the film and there might have been less left out than I remember...

Either way, I definitely recommend reading the book. You can always skim over the science stuff until you get to the awesome dino stuff. ( )
  amcheri | May 25, 2021 |
Jurassic Park. JURASSIC FRIGGIN' PARK PEOPLE.

Now if you know me you know that this is one of my top 10 movies of all time. Action packed with dinosaurs ripping people apart and some legendary characters like Muldoon hunting some raptors and Dr. Ian Malcom dropping knowledge about Chaos Theory. I was 8 years old when it released and I can still remember sitting in that dark theater watching the Tyrannosaurus Rex step out of the paddock and hearing her deafening roar shake the room.

And with that said... I think the book was better than the movie. Wait! Don't shoot me just yet!

The story that Michael Crichton wrote in this awesome novel plays out very differently than the movie. The book seems more action packed and Dr. Alan Grant and the kids get into way more precarious situations. Characters behave and have different roles in the book. John Hammond is the protagonist and not he's not such a likeable character. I don't think anyone really liked him in the movie either but in the book he's a dick.

Biotechnologist Henry Wu plays a way bigger part here compared to his 5 minutes on screen in the baby raptor scene. Crichton goes into more detail about how the DNA splicing process works so things do get a bit technical.

Dr. Ian Malcom's speech on how the earth will survive despite the mistakes and follies done by mankind is one of the best I've ever read. I enjoyed his character in the movie and here he sounds like a true scientist.

Both mediums have their individual charm. I enjoyed the book and I thought it was great and it would've been cool to see the book be adapted a bit more than where Spielberg took it HOWEVER the film is still damn amazing! ( )
1 vote ProfessorEX | Apr 15, 2021 |
The Jurassic Park is a novel by Michael Crichton, published by Alfred A. Knopf in 1990. The version I've read is the Hungarian edition, published by Maecenas Könyvkiadó in 1992. Jurassic Park is an adventure story, set in the near future on a dinosaur-based theme park, where everything goes wrong. Crichton's writing is captivating. He is able to show us a believable character in a page or two. I recommend the Jurassic Park book for anyone who would like to read a thrilling adventure story.

Crichton, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Haarala, TarmoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kanmert Sjölander, MolleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vector That FoxIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Reptiles are abhorrent because of their cold body, pale color, cartilaginous skeleton, filthy skin, fierce aspect, calculating eye, offensive smell, harsh voice, squalid habitation, and terrible venom; wherefore their Creator has not exerted his powers to make many of them."

~ LINNAEUS, 1797
"You cannot recall a new form of life."
~ ERWIN CHARGAFF, 1972
For A-M and T
Prologue
The tropical rain fell in drenching sheets, hammering the corrugated roof of the clinic building, roaring down the metal gutters, splashing on the ground in a torrent.
Introduction
The late twentieth century has witnessed a scientific gold rush of astonishing proportions: the headlong and furious haste to commercialize genetic engineering.
Mike Bowman whistled cheerfully as he drove the Land Rover through the Cabo Blanco Biological Reserve, on the west coast of Costa Rica.
Reptielen zijn weerzinwekkend vanwege hun koude lichaam, hun bleke kleur, hun kraakbeenskelet, hun vuile huid, hun wrede uitdrukking, hun berekenende blik, hun afstotelijke geur, hun scherpe stemgeluid, hun smerig nest en hun vreselijk vergif; daarom heeft hun schepper zijn macht niet gebruikt om er vele te maken. (Linnaeus, 1797) Een nieuwe levensvorm kun je niet ongedaan maken. (Erwin Chargaff, 1972)
Because the history of evolution is that life escapes all barriers. Life breaks free. Life expands to new territories. Painfully, perhaps even dangerously. But life finds a way.

An astonishing technique for recovering and cloning dinosaur DNA has been discovered. Now, one of mankind's most thrilling fantasies has come true. Creatures extinct for eons now roam Jurassic Park with their awesome presence and profound mystery, and all the world can visit them--for a price.

Until something goes wrong....

4 2006

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,484,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible