Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

Jurassic Park (original 1990; edition 2006)

by Michael Crichton

18,124285212 (3.92)1 / 247
For use in schools and libraries only. A breakthrough in genetic engineering leads to the development of a technique for recovering and cloning dinosaur DNA, a method that brings about the creation of Jurassic Park, a tourist attraction populated by creatures extinct for eons.
Member:sammons04
Title:Jurassic Park
Authors:Michael Crichton
Info:Arrow Books Ltd (2006), Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:*****

Work Information

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (1990)

The Lost World by Michael Crichton (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Kind of an obvious choice, The Lost World is a sequel to Jurassic Park. I think it's just as good, if not better.
    The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: An obvious rec, I admit. Doyle's story is the original "modern men interact with dinos" tale and Crichton's is the best one since.
    Carnosaur by Harry Adam Knight (caimanjosh, tottman)
    caimanjosh: There's been some speculation that Crichton actually got the idea for Jurassic Park from this book, which was written well before. This one's gorier.
    tottman: Both are stories about trying to bring back dinosaurs, and the ultimately destructive outcome of such an attempt. Carnosaur leans more to the horror side of the equation and Jurassic Park more to the thriller side.
    The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells (Stbalbach)
    Stbalbach: Mad doctor's breeding program on a remote island. What could go wrong?
    Relic by Douglas Preston (VictoriaPL)
    King Kong by Delos W. Lovelace (Hedgepeth)
    Meg: A Novel of Deep Terror by Steve Alten (Hedgepeth)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (mcenroeucsb)
    The Cartesian Machine by Dr. Nick E. Tran (NickETran)
    NickETran: The Cartesian Machine by Nick E. Tran and Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton are both based on the newly discovered sciences and the terrible disasters that ensued.
    Raptor Red by Robert T. Bakker (Konran, wordcauldron)
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: humanity creates without knowing
    When the Wind Blows by James Patterson (themephi)

English (270)  French (3)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (283)
I first read this over twenty years ago and decided I should try it again now that I'm an adult. My memory definitely missed out on parts, I loved exploring the park with the characters and their excitement and wonder as people who didn't grow up quite so aware of dinosaurs as I did. There were definitely parts I felt like the dinosaurs weren't quite as scary as they could have been, that the reactions of the characters didn't properly portray the fear they likely would have felt in situations like that. But all in all I enjoyed it. ( )
  MallorieLuna | Mar 27, 2022 |
Enjoyable. It’s been forever since I’ve read this so I didn’t remember anything other than Malcolm’s “the earth will survive” speech (which was apparently impactful to a teen that had grown up hearing about the hole in the ozone, deforestation of the rainforests, and endless refrains of “save the planet”), and boy is this different from the movie (which I still enjoy to this day).

The book is a bit more thought-provoking (at least until the dinosaurs start eating people) in regards to the morality of cloning and treatment and “real-ness” of the resulting animal, which I liked. And it was neat seeing the bits and pieces that have popped up in the movie franchise over the years. But there were things in the book that thankfully didn’t make the movie (rocket-launchers anyone?) which was a good decision. Also, the end made no sense to me and was worthless plot-wise aside from giving the ability to leave the story a little cliff-hanger-y.

While I feel no desire to continue to revisit my Crichton reads from the early 90s, I did enjoy this one. And I don’t even think nostalgia played a part in that. ( )
  Aug3Zimm | Mar 19, 2022 |
A privately-funded genetics company engineers a state-of-the-art technique for extracting dinosaur DNA from the blood meals of ancient mosquitoes bound in amber, and then builds an entire theme park around the newly-cloned prehistoric beasts. What could go wrong?

I selected this book to fulfill the Read Harder category for "a book whose movie or TV adaptation you've seen (but haven't read the book)." Since I was already familiar with the plot I thought it would be more or less easy reading. While it does read rather like an exciting, summer blockbuster film, I was mistaken in thinking that the suspense and terror within wouldn't actually be somewhat stressful! It was an overall fun and thrilling read, and I was satisfied by how much of the detail was faithfully incorporated into the film (at least, what I remember of it nearly thirty years later). I have two complaints, both about unjustly-written characters: Lex, a young child, was depicted as so over-the-top annoying that it could only have been to serve as a plot device. Likewise, Nedry the computer guru, is described only ever in fat-shaming terms and it is presumably no coincidence that he's the saboteur. ( )
  ryner | Feb 9, 2022 |
Very good. The short chapters make the pace feel fast even during the sections when little is happening, and the story is written in such a manner that the reader (even should you not have seen the film the novel spawned) cannot help but know with certainty how bad things are about to get long before the characters do -- well, excepting perhaps Ian Malcolm. This gives an underlying tension that further adds to the page-turning feel of the story, which is particularly impressive considering the novel's rather many academic asides about everything from computer history to mathematical paradigms.

My main complaint, I suppose, is the almost complete lack of emotional ramification for traumas and deaths. Whenever a character dies, people (even people with no experience with such things) behave with a stiff upper lip 'well, that's a shame, let's soldier on' attitude that I might buy from hardened veteran soldiers or explorers mentally prepared for danger, but that seems a bit off from academics, engineers and lawyers who have been told they're to tour an unopened amusement park. They're afraid for their own lives (and to some extent, that of others), and you feel that fear, but there's no tangible grief following the loss of human lives at any point in the story. Even the two children seems not at all traumatised by the things they go through, quipping and quarreling again as soon as immediate danger is over, and happily petting dinosaurs even after they've multiple times survived attacks by other animals -- often of the same species. I didn't exactly mind any of this, as lengthy hand-wringing of how sad and horrible this and that was doesn't exactly make for exciting reading -- but it did take a tiny bit of believability away, and it also made it harder to differentiate supposedly hardened characters from the ones less used to danger and hardships.

But this is a minor concern. I spend so much time on it only because it struck me as odd, not because it weakened the story much. Crichton is otherwise excellent at making things feel horrifically real, including the terror the characters experience over and over again, and the ebb and flow of the threats throughout the book works wonderfully. All the thumbs all the way up. Between this and "The Great Train Robbery", I'm two for two on highly satisfying and memorable Crichton novels, and am considering making a point of trying out more. ( )
  Lucky-Loki | Jan 24, 2022 |
Wow! The amount of differences between the original story (Crichton's) and the film is staggering! Far more philosophical, too, especially when Dr. Malcolm gets on a roll talking (so, in this case, just like the film!).

Bravo! ( )
  djlinick | Jan 15, 2022 |
The Jurassic Park is a novel by Michael Crichton, published by Alfred A. Knopf in 1990. The version I've read is the Hungarian edition, published by Maecenas Könyvkiadó in 1992. Jurassic Park is an adventure story, set in the near future on a dinosaur-based theme park, where everything goes wrong. Crichton's writing is captivating. He is able to show us a believable character in a page or two. I recommend the Jurassic Park book for anyone who would like to read a thrilling adventure story.

Crichton, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Haarala, TarmoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kanmert Sjölander, MolleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vector That FoxIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Reptiles are abhorrent because of their cold body, pale color, cartilaginous skeleton, filthy skin, fierce aspect, calculating eye, offensive smell, harsh voice, squalid habitation, and terrible venom; wherefore their Creator has not exerted his powers to make many of them."

~ LINNAEUS, 1797
"You cannot recall a new form of life."
~ ERWIN CHARGAFF, 1972
For A-M and T
Prologue
The tropical rain fell in drenching sheets, hammering the corrugated roof of the clinic building, roaring down the metal gutters, splashing on the ground in a torrent.
Introduction
The late twentieth century has witnessed a scientific gold rush of astonishing proportions: the headlong and furious haste to commercialize genetic engineering.
Mike Bowman whistled cheerfully as he drove the Land Rover through the Cabo Blanco Biological Reserve, on the west coast of Costa Rica.
Reptielen zijn weerzinwekkend vanwege hun koude lichaam, hun bleke kleur, hun kraakbeenskelet, hun vuile huid, hun wrede uitdrukking, hun berekenende blik, hun afstotelijke geur, hun scherpe stemgeluid, hun smerig nest en hun vreselijk vergif; daarom heeft hun schepper zijn macht niet gebruikt om er vele te maken. (Linnaeus, 1797) Een nieuwe levensvorm kun je niet ongedaan maken. (Erwin Chargaff, 1972)
Because the history of evolution is that life escapes all barriers. Life breaks free. Life expands to new territories. Painfully, perhaps even dangerously. But life finds a way.

An astonishing technique for recovering and cloning dinosaur DNA has been discovered. Now, one of mankind's most thrilling fantasies has come true. Creatures extinct for eons now roam Jurassic Park with their awesome presence and profound mystery, and all the world can visit them--for a price.

Until something goes wrong....

4 2060

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,015,920 books! | Top bar: Always visible